TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Jan-2010, 1:17 PM   #1
Armando

Fixing channel interference

Hello, I am trying to see if there is a way I can do something so multi-path interference doesn't affect stations I am trying to tune in to. All of the channels are in the green zone and within 13 miles and should come in fine but some stations cut out too often. I am using the tuner from a Vizio set and I have tried rabbit ears, old attic antenna, and a Phillips MANT940 on rooftop. Am I out of luck with multi-path affecting me or is there a solution?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c723e3d3a607cc
Armando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jan-2010, 3:51 PM   #2
mtownsend

Hello and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando View Post
Am I out of luck with multi-path affecting me or is there a solution?
Multipath is usually caused by multiple signal images/reflections making their way into your antenna and ultimately to your receiver. The "ghost" laden signal makes it difficult for the receiver to decode the digital data stream.

One way to combat multipath is to use a more selective/directional antenna. Directional antennas are only sensitive in certain areas and will do a better job of ignoring signals from unwanted directions.

Your signal dropouts are probably also related to amp overload in your Philips antenna. Based on your tvfool report, your signals are too strong for the Philips amp to handle. If the amp was being overloaded, it most likely would have made things worse rather than better. Overloaded amps will distort the signal and make it very hard to decode.

For indoor antennas, about the best you'll find for this situation is the Terk HDTVi (the non-amplified version). It's about as directional as you'll get for an indoor antenna, and since it does not include an amplifier, you won't run into overload problems.

For attic or rooftop antennas, you're probably best off with a Winegard HD7694P or Antennacraft HBU-33. For even more directionality, these antennas come in even larger sizes. No amplifier is needed because the signals are so strong.

In fact, the signals may even be too strong for your TV to handle. If that is the case, you might consider using a signal attenuator (like this) to help reduce the signal before it gets to your TV.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote