TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Jan-2012, 1:56 AM   #1
FreeTV

Antennacraft HDTV Indoor Ultrathin Antenna

I just bought this antenna and have tried to just plug it in and scan the channels and it comes up with nothing. I tried to plug it into the HD and the cable plugs. It is a Proview TV that I am using and seems to work just fine wiht everything else. The antenna says it is omnidirectional and that I shouldn't have to move it. Even with that I placed it facing where most of the channels are suppossedly coming from. I am new to this whole thing and have never done more than just plug the cable from the wall into my tv so I'm probably just overlooking something or a lot of somethings.
I am in the Dallas, TX area and shoudl be within range of all of the channels, or at least most of the basic ones. I do have the antenna in the middle of my home though and saw people had luck with it by a window. Can someone even just verify where to plug it into? What plug in on the back of the tv to use just to help verify that I am even doing that right. The guy at RadioShack said that it should be incredibly easy to use and work right away. (Imagine my utter feel of failure when I have to go looking online to figure out something even *this* easy.)
Please help.
Thanks anyone willing to take on my problem,
Jake
FreeTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jan-2012, 3:42 AM   #2
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTV View Post
I just bought this antenna and have tried to just plug it in and scan the channels and it comes up with nothing. I tried to plug it into the HD and the cable plugs. It is a Proview TV that I am using and seems to work just fine wiht everything else. ...
Whenever you need help with a consumer electronic device--or anything else for that matter--it is enormously helpful if you also give the specific model of the device. Many different models of TVs are branded "Proview." The help that you need may depend in a material way on which model you own.

Your antenna has a cable with an internally threaded collar on the end. In the center of the end, is a single strand of copper wire. The wire is probably sharp. In the case of some antennas, the collar is not threaded because it is designed to slip on the RF plug of your receiver.

This is the only part of the antenna that you plug into the TV. The RF plug(s) is(are) on the rear of your TV set. An RF plug is always threaded on the outside. It will have a small hole in the center to accept the center strand of the coaxial cable. Most TVs have only one such plug, but some have two--one labeled "ANT"; the other, "CABLE." In the case of a single RF port, it will be labeled "RF", "ANTENNA/CABLE," or something of the sort. In no case will it be labeled "HD." The port labeled "HD" is for a non-RF video source.

Your TV has many other round ports on the rear. These are for component video [colored red, blue, and green], composite video [colored yellow], and analog stereo sound [colored red and white]. These are intended for non-RF audio/video sources and not the signal from your antenna.

If you have additional trouble identifying your RF port(s), then consult your owners manual.

Additional Advice: You have an amplified UHF-only antenna that is designed to receive only local stations. It will not work if you try to operate it unpowered.

Also, understand how your TV operates. Some, like my LG, have a unified tuner that will accept NTSC analog RF, ATSC digital broadcast RF, and Clear QAM digital cable RF. A single channel scan finds all available analog channels and all unscrambled digital broadcast and cable stations. Others, like my Sharp, require the user to select cable or broadcast. If such a TV is set to receive cable, then it will not receive digital over-the-air broadcasts.

Last edited by MisterMe; 3-Jan-2012 at 3:53 AM.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2012, 3:55 PM   #3
Ralph

New member having site trouble

Would you please tell me how to post a question. I can get to this screeen on a new post but no further. I don't see any button that says post. What am I missing?
Thanks you
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2012, 9:16 PM   #4
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

What is the make and model number of the tv antenna?? What is the make and model number of the tv?? Send a PM Private Message with the exact address and I will create a tvfool radar report for you. Or you can post the exact address for every one to see and they can make tvfool radar reports.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote