TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Jul-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Dea

Need help to choose indoor antenna

Hi,
I live in Montreal and unfortunately don't have friend who could be able to install for me an outdoor antenna on the roof. That's why the only option that I have is indoor antenna. I bought
RCA ANT1450B Multi-Directional Digital Flat Amplified Indoor Antenna and had only two channels. After that I bought TERK INDOOR HDTV AMPLIFIED ANTENNA and the result was worse - it catch only one channel.
Honestly I don't understand anything from my TV Signal Analysis Result:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...99009446ea4429
I hope that in the forum there is somebody who can help me with an advise for the most efficient indoor antenna. I read a lot of the threads but they are always for outdoor antenna which doesn't work for me.
Thank you!

Last edited by Dea; 19-Jul-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Dea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jul-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
signals unlimited

DTV/cell phone reception advise and products

The signals are so strong at your location that you should have no problem with reception of the Canadian stations. No roof top antenna needed.

Use a Terk HDTVi (un-amplified). You should place the antenna on the East side of your house. In front of a window would be best. Extend the adjustable rods at the rear of the antenna to around 30 inches and keep them horizontal for best reception of the VHF channels.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jul-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

I agree, the signals are strong and plentiful. The non-amplified HDTVi is a very good option. Amplified antennas may overload with the strong signals present.

I'm curious, what make and model TV are you using? Have you set it to scan for 'Antenna' or 'Air' channels? Many TVs default to 'Cable' or 'CATV' mode.

If you're using a DTV converter, what make and model?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Jul-2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Antenna vs Cable mode
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jul-2012, 1:52 AM   #4
Dea

Hi,
thank you both for your advises.
GroundUrMast,
One of my TV is flat - Toshiba 32" 720p 60Hz LCD HDTV (32C120U). I just connected the antenna to the TV. There is no option to set it to scan for "Antenna" or "Air" channels. Just scanning.
The other TV is tube - Citezen. I read in the forum that if I want to connect it to the same antenna between the TV and the coax cable I have to use converter. I don't know which model will be better to buy. Before your question I even didn't know that there are different converters.
Dea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jul-2012, 5:35 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Please take a look at page 44 of the user guide: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...Family=2838040

Be sure to set the the Toshiba to "ANT" (Antenna) mode, not "Cable". Then continue on to the instructions for programing channels automatically.

Saveandrepaly is a source of DTV converters. http://overtheair.saveandreplay.com/ATSC_Tuners.asp
Amazon, Best Buy, Radio Shack and other retailers are also worth shopping.

Of the standard definition DTV converters I have used, my favorite is the Zenith DTT901. If you can locate one it's worth considering... be careful though, the price has gotten so high, you may want to consider high definition converters such as the those mentioned in this post: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 20-Jul-2012 at 5:54 AM. Reason: DTV converters
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote