TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Jan-2011, 2:12 AM   #1
mutton-javelin

phantom rotor???

As my earlier post mentioned, my Eagle Aspen rotor stopped working after one day. I have not had time to call and have it RMA'd so today just for grins I turned it on and magically it starts working. I thinking software or control box issue. As soon as I turned it on it behaved differently.

I did not do anything to it since the other day and it did not work then.

Any ideas what it could be
mutton-javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2011, 4:27 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

What was the outside temp. when it was not working vs. today. Some rotators are lubed with grease that can't take low temps. I have also heard reports of moisture freezing inside, binding the mechanism. Just ideas... no direct experience with that particular rotator.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2011, 6:43 AM   #3
John Candle

Rotor

Might be bad coax between the inside control box and the outside rotor. The single layer bonded aluminum shield and thin shield wires can break. I suggest quad shield coax for maximum power transfer from the inside unit to the outside rotor. Also check the center conductor wire of the coax inside the coax connectors , make sure the wire is clean for good electrical contact.

Last edited by John Candle; 5-Jan-2011 at 8:16 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2011, 2:37 AM   #4
mutton-javelin

I checked all the connections the day it did not work, all seems fine. It is working now though. I'm wondering if it was an issue with the control box. I reset it as when the problem began as per the instructions. That did not seem to help. Perhaps the sequence turning it off that night is what did the trick?

Now I just need to track down all the channels.
Old 7-Jan-2011, 6:36 AM   #5
John Candle

Rotor control

Many times unpluging a device , wait and then plug back in will reset it.
Old 8-Jan-2011, 2:58 PM   #6
mutton-javelin

I did that both days, it just did not work the first night. What I think I will do is leave the antenna set for Boston stations and then adjust as needed, always setting it when finished to Boston. As of today I have not found any more than the WMUR out of New Hampshire.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4587598467d
Old 8-Jan-2011, 3:22 PM   #7
Dave Loudin

Based on your report, that makes sense. WMUR is next after the Boston stations with regards to strength. Next on the list are the Providence stations, which are just a little south of the Boston stations in azimuth.

With the rotor, you might be able to find an azimuth where you can see some Providence stations while maintaining reception of Boston. If I were you, I'd park the antenna there and forget it.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jan-2011, 8:14 PM   #8
mutton-javelin

Directing the antenna seems "odd" as well. I checked the properties of my DB4 to see what it could do. Can it pull in a stronger signal from other angles as opposed to directly at the source?
Old 10-Jan-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
Dave Loudin

What I'm suggesting you do is aim the peak gain of your antenna at Providence, as those are your weakest stations. There will be less gain towards Boston, but that may be Ok, as those are stronger signals to you. The best solution may be pointing between the two cities, biased towards Providence. If you can't get both markets at the same time, then leave the antenna aimed at Boston.
Old 10-Jan-2011, 12:38 AM   #10
mutton-javelin

I'll try that. WMUR is quite strong, but nothing from any other NH station. Terrain issues perhaps.
Old 10-Jan-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Yes strong stations will come in even if the antenna is not directed at the station and yes strong stations can be received even at the back side of the antenna. With Tv antennas , minimum reception is at the sides of the antenna. Maximum reception is at the front of the antenna and the reception becomes less and less as the antenna is turned so that side is directed at the Tv station. And yes Tv stations can be received at the back of the antenna , the signal needs to be stronger because most antennas have some type of reflector at the back of the antenna. The reflector increases forward gain because a signal coming at the antenna at the front reflects off the reflector to the receiving elements at the front of the antenna. . . Upright antennas such as 4 bay and 8 bay UHF bow tie antennas have a reflector , if the reflector is removed then the antenna will receive equal in to directions.<-- Thats the up side. The down side is that another reason the reflector is there is to reduce undesirable signals. Undesirable signals are multipath signals that are coming at the back side of the antenna. You can look up multipath signals on the internet.

Last edited by John Candle; 10-Jan-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-Jan-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
Dave Loudin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutton-javelin View Post
I'll try that. WMUR is quite strong, but nothing from any other NH station. Terrain issues perhaps.
Not to be too rude, but your TVFool report tells you that. Click on any station in the list to see the terrain profile used by the model. The transmitter is on the left edge and your location is on the right end.
Old 11-Jan-2011, 2:01 AM   #13
mutton-javelin

is there a color coding for that???
Old 11-Jan-2011, 3:24 AM   #14
Dave Loudin

I'm not sure what you mean. Each station will have a terrain profile. Just click on its listing and you'll see.
Old 12-Jan-2011, 1:23 AM   #15
mutton-javelin

Do the colors on the terrain profile correspond to signal strength?
Old 12-Jan-2011, 2:17 AM   #16
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutton-javelin View Post
Do the colors on the terrain profile correspond to signal strength?
Yes, on the left side is the transmitter (the strongest signal) and as you move to the right, you see colors which represent progressively weaker signal strength. If there is obstructing terrain, you will see the shadowing effect of that terrain.

Run this tool for any of the station on your report, there will be a legend relating color and signal strength included in the output.
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=80

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 12-Jan-2011 at 3:52 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote