TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Jul-2011, 4:54 PM   #1
Tide1

Suggestions for Compass Direction

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3e47f609f6adfc

I will be mounting a Antennas Direct DB8 Antenna on a chimney about 30' above the ground. I am interested in getting at least all channels thru WKDH-DT and do not care about WTVA because it is VHF.

I will have to run 100 ft of cable and will also have a Winegard Preamp (8700 I think). I am definately not on a hill, more like a valley on a slight rise so to speak. Not too many trees but a few. Rolling Hills all around the area here in NorthWest Alabama.

Should I be able to accomplish this and what would be the best guesstimate at a compass reading to try and use?

Thanks
Tide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jul-2011, 5:39 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

You're not going to find a single fixed aim point that gives you all the stations you want. WKDH looks like the most challenging, so start by facing the antenna at 252° (Azimuth-Mag column, far right of your TVFR).

You will need a rotator or multiple antennas to hunt down the rest of the stations.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jul-2011, 5:55 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

I'm depressed... That's a sad-looking TVfool..

Yes, a rotor and pre-amp are needed.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jul-2011, 7:00 PM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

The tvfool report is not that bad. I recommend a Channel Master CM4228HD , 8 bay panel antenna. The CM4228HD is a new retuned UHF antenna that also receives the VHF high channels 7 thru 13. Might as well have it all , UHF and VHF. Yes the AP8700 preamp will be fine and yes will need a rotor , the Channel Master CM9521A.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jul-2011, 7:37 PM   #5
Tide1

Why am I not surprised....

Yes, it is a sad looking TvFool report. LOL

I am thinking I will just attempt to get WDBB and WCFT which are the same compass direction. However, I might start the compass challenge lined up for more of the Birmingham Stations which are not too far away from WDBB and WCFT (Although likely can't get them). I guess for now I will just forget the Mississippi stations until I get a rotor or another antenna. I will honestly will be surprised if I can get WDBB or WCFT with a decent signal. We shall see.

Thanks everyone for your quick replies and suggestions. BTW, this is a Saturday project so it may be a while before I can let you all know results.

Old 29-Jul-2011, 8:14 PM   #6
John Candle

http://www.antennahacks.com/Comparis..._vs_HD8800.htm , http://www.antennahacks.com/Comparis...F_Shootout.htm
Old 29-Jul-2011, 8:39 PM   #7
Tide1

I'm sold....

The question is where could I purchase the Channel Master in Birmingham, Alabama either tonight or tomorrow night so I could install it tomorrow afternoon. I don't really care to pay outrageous amounts for next day shipping if I can get it locally. I checked with Sears and you have to order and have it shipped. Worthless pretty much.

Thanks for the information. That helps greatly. I have another use for the DB8 Antenna so I wont be wasting my money....
Old 29-Jul-2011, 9:48 PM   #8
John Candle

Here are places to buy Tv antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com , http://www.3starinc.com , http://www.starkelectronic.com
Old 29-Jul-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
John Candle

At the Channel Master web site I found a Distributor , DOW Electronics , 289-F Cahaba Parkway North , Pelham , ALabama. 205-982-4887. Some Distributors sell to the general public , sometimes called 'counter sales' . You go in to the business , say what you want , they get it , and you pay the money right there on the spot.
Old 30-Jul-2011, 2:09 AM   #10
GroundUrMast

If you are going to toss in the towel on the DB-8 I'd like to suggest that you opt for the highest gain UHF antenna available. An Antennas Direct XG-91 or a Winegard HD9095P. You are in a situation that calls for a maximum performance antenna. On a rotator, you would have a fair to good chance at your stated goal.

The signal level of WTVA (real CH-8) is too low to expect the CM4228 to provide reliable reception. If you want or need reception of WTVA I'd suggest using an Antennacraft Y10713 with a fixed aim of about 252° magnetic. Even that may not be enough gain, but a second Y10713 could be stacked to add a couple more dB of gain if needed.

A dual input preamp such as the Antennacraft 10G221 would provide a convenient means to join both antennas.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 30-Jul-2011 at 2:12 AM.
Old 30-Jul-2011, 2:41 AM   #11
Tide1

Plans

Here is what I have decided to do for now. Since I already have the DB8 antenna, I am going to go ahead and mount it with the preamp and see what all I can get. I checked the Electronics store and they are closed this weekend so the plan to get a channel master is on hold for now. It will need to be ordered if I decide to go that route.

From what you see on my TV Fool listing do you think I have a shot at all with getting a reliable signal from WDBB and WCFT with the DB8?

I guess I should give some background on what I am trying to accomplish. The reason I am wanting to get the antenna set up is because of when there is heavy rain the Dish Network Signal goes kaput and therefore no local channels. This is a concern in times of severe weather. If I can at the least receive WCFT OTA then one of their subchannels is a radar and the weather guy breaks in and stays live on that channel in times of severe weather in the Birmingham Market area. We had a bad experience in April this year with tornadoes all around and basically had nothing but a weather radio which seems too slow.
Old 30-Jul-2011, 6:00 AM   #12
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tide1 View Post

From what you see on my TV Fool listing do you think I have a shot at all with getting a reliable signal from WDBB and WCFT with the DB8?

...The reason I am wanting to get the antenna set up is because of when there is heavy rain the Dish Network Signal goes kaput and therefore no local channels. This is a concern in times of severe weather. If I can at the least receive WCFT OTA then one of their subchannels is a radar and the weather guy breaks in and stays live on that channel in times of severe weather in the Birmingham Market area. We had a bad experience in April this year with tornadoes all around and basically had nothing but a weather radio which seems too slow.
The DB-8 should be able add at least 10 dB (conservative) to the NM figures on your report. Then the preamp will cost you a couple of dB of NM, but it's needed to overcome loss in the coax. Net NM values in the double digit range will usually provide reliable reception (with a good tuner). So - yes, I think the DB-8 facing 146° should magnetic should deliver WDBB and WCFT.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 30-Jul-2011 at 6:04 AM.
Old 30-Jul-2011, 7:44 AM   #13
John Candle

Also can put the DB8 on the rotor. And install a Winegard YA1713 VHF high band antenna VHF channels 7 thru 13 aimed at channel 8 at 252 degree magnetic compass , mounted in a fixed position below the DB8 and rotor. The two antennas will be connected together with a UVSJ and the AP8700 will be connected to Line/output of the UVSJ. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=UVSJ
Old 30-Jul-2011, 1:40 PM   #14
Tide1

Will let you all know the results later today hopefully....
Old 31-Jul-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
Tide1

Didnt happen

When my folks saw how large the DB8 was (according to them) they didnt want anything like that on their roof. Was afraid this would happen. Oh well guess they hope their DN doesnt go out when it rains hard (like that's gonna happpen). Sorry I wasted everyone's time as I was really looking forward to that project...
Old 1-Aug-2011, 12:05 AM   #16
John Candle

My time has not been wasted , I really like Tv antennas and reception. I really like figuring out how to receive Tv. Please come back with more projects.