TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-Oct-2013, 8:51 PM   #1
hellercole

Antenna Reception Help

Hello everyone,

Currently live in Oak Harbor WA and put up a Winegard HD7698P antenna with LNA200 booster (both mounted outside South side of my house at the top, about 50 feet up). The antenna is currently pointed due South (not sure exact azimuth) and I am getting some channels, but wondering if I could get more. I currently receive about 29 channels (result of auto scan), but only 2 of the channels interest me (Kiro 7.1 and CPQ(Fox) 13.1). 7.1 (UHF) comes in pretty weak most of the time, but sometimes it works awesome. 13.1 (VHF) always comes in great no matter what. Wondering if I picked the right antenna or not? I've already tried the whole have someone watch the signal meter while you turn the antenna and that's how I picked up channel 7.1. I'd really like to get channels 4, 5, 16, 22 or even more if possible. Thanks for the help.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae6e7d020dc7

Cole
hellercole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Oct-2013, 9:59 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The Winegard HD769X series antenna can be assembled incorrectly. It would be prudent to check the connections of the phase-lines as they enter the balun unit where the coax connects. Also, carefully check that the phase lines do not touch the boom.

If the antenna is at 50' AGL, please post a TV Fool report based on that antenna mounting height. Thanks

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Oct-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
hellercole

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae2f0e74307a

Sorry I thought I had entered 50 in the report. I think you're talking about the metal rods that are near the middle of the antenna that go into the black plastic box. I made sure, per the instructions, that they weren't touching anything.
Old 31-Oct-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

I asked about the possible assembly issues, because your description of the performance sounds familiar. A few other HD769X owners have resolved similar symptoms after re-checking and correcting the assembly.

If your antenna is actually at 50' AGL (a two story roof would be roughly 20' to 25' AGL) it suggests you've got a 3 or 4 story home, or a 20' to 30' mast.

All that aside, the HD7698P should be performing a bit better according to your TVFR. Are you aiming through the typical NW Douglas Fir?

Old 1-Nov-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
hellercole

Yes it is only 2 story, I guess 50 was a really bad estimate. I can take a picture of how the phase lines are setup if that helps, but I'm leaving town for awhile tomorrow so I'll have to wait until then to get up there. Not aiming through a Douglas fir, but am aiming through a deciduous tree and I'm surprised I'm not picking up more channels now that the leaves have fallen off...thanks for the responses.

Cole
Old 1-Nov-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
hellercole

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae6cc5366671

there is the analysis for 25 AGL
Old 1-Nov-2013, 6:16 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

If not for the tree blocking your path toward Seattle, I would definitely hope for better results from the 7698. It's one of the 'right' choices for your situation.

When both are working correctly, the 7698 is only slightly less capable than a combination of a DB8e or 91XG combined with a Y10713. At this point, it's hard for me to recommend replacement of the 7698.

Besides double checking the correct assembly and integrity of connections in the balun unit, have you checked the performance of the antenna without any amplifier connected? http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646

Then there are the basic checks of the cable and connectors for proper assembly and proof that water has not entered the cable(s).

Old 1-Nov-2013, 7:06 AM   #8
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

Aim the HD7698P antenna at about 145 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

---------

The Tv stations you will like to receive are very weak signal strength.

Antenna aiming is important.

The starting aim direction is 145 degree magnetic compass direction.

The antenna aim is adjusted for best reception.

Most Digital Tv's have a signal strength meter and some Digital Tv's also have a signal quality meter.

-----------

Install the HD7698P antenna above the roof in such manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , South East , South , North West.

------------

Digital Broadcast Tv Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do Double Rescan , www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf
Old 12-Nov-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
hellercole

Pictures of the phase

Here are the pictures as promised, sorry for the delay and thanks again for all the help. The metal is not touching anything except the clips in the plastic box and the inside looks dry. The tree I'm aiming through has no leaves right now so I'm hoping to get the best results this time of year and deal with less channels when the leaves come back. Please let me know if you can't view the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20131112_153923_112.jpg (117.0 KB, 591 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131112_153932_084.jpg (190.2 KB, 581 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131112_153957_891.jpg (78.0 KB, 561 views)
Old 13-Nov-2013, 4:38 AM   #10
teleview

Picture # 1 , looks like the phasing line wire might be touching the metal bracket that holds the < shaped UHF channels reflector.
Old 13-Nov-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
hellercole

It may look like that in the picture, but it isn't...
Old 26-Nov-2013, 6:16 PM   #12
hellercole

bump...am I up a creek with no paddle here?
Old 28-Nov-2013, 5:47 AM   #13
GroundUrMast

Have your performed this test? http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646

Per Winegard... http://www.winegard.com/kbase/kb_tip...hp?tip_num=477

And, if you suspect a bad terminal board... http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewit...9&p=WD-CB-8269

Back to my previous post (#7), if I was starting from scratch, I'd use a 91XG + Y10713 + TVPRAMP1R.

Old 29-Nov-2013, 2:50 PM   #14
hellercole

Thanks! I'll give those a shot and let you know.