TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Apr-2016, 4:56 PM   #21
shoman94

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillhome4 View Post
Bit of a disappointment. Went with an eave mount on the south end of the house and mast rises 3 feet above the roof-line with a ClearStream 4V. Tried with an amplifier and without and ABC (4.1), NBC (5.1), and CBS (7.1) are spotty at best with major pixalization. PBS (9.1-9.3) are non existent, 13.1 occasional. 16.1 and 22.1 appear to be good though. Antenna is pointed at 274 magnetic north. The ClearStream was my personal choice although my install guy is wanting to try one of his antennas on Monday. This may be a lost cause but willing to try his recommendation then go satellite or cable if that fails. Could just be a rough area where I am at. Will report back after Monday. Thanks again to all for your help!
Can you take a photo of the antenna's view? From your previous photo the tree looks very large in front of that peak. Also you'll likely need to be higher than 3 ft above the peak. The C4v has a very narrow main beam lobe so grabbing signals around trees are more difficult also. What antenna does the installer want to try and also what is the opinion of the installer on the location?
shoman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Apr-2016, 7:13 PM   #22
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

With all this discussion about the best antenna and the trees, has anyone noticed that you have some strong local FM signals that might be causing interference to TV reception, especially for VHF-High?

This is your FM signal report, based on my estimate of your location, since I don't have your exact address:
http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/4...2/Radar-FM.png

I think you should make a test with an FM filter after the antenna. In your case, I suggest using a HLSJ instead of an ordinary FM filter.

The HLSJ can be used as an effective FM filter. It will block signals below TV channel 7, including the FM band. Use the High and common ports and insert it in the coax line from the antenna.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=zhlsj

http://www.atvresearch.com/hlsjvhfba...-combiner.aspx

http://www.nsccom.com/hlsj.aspx

As I mentioned in post #2, it is important to ground the coax shield with a grounding block to reject interference which can get directly into the TV cabinet if it isn't grounded.

You also should use the Roamio Diagnostics screen to monitor signal strength, SNR, and uncorrected errors when selecting a location for your antenna and aiming the antenna.

Last edited by rabbit73; 9-Apr-2016 at 7:29 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Apr-2016, 10:41 PM   #23
hillhome4

Shoman94 and Rabbit73 thanks for the input; bad pun intended! The coax shield and antnenna are both grounded with separate runs. Fascinating about FM interference and that looks like an inexpensive try which I will get going. Will report back again when I have more info...
hillhome4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Apr-2016, 10:47 PM   #24
hillhome4

Shoman94, the installer said of the site that it is a bit difficult, and that the ABC and NBC stations were in different directions. Believe one tower is in Bremerton across Puget Sound if memory serves me correctly. He seemed to think that it would be a choice to make, in that pick one and we would try to optimize reception and the other may not come in at all. He was encouraged by the model antenna he has in his shop, will be back Monday to try that one, and I'll let you know what it is and the results...
hillhome4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2016, 1:44 PM   #25
shoman94

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillhome4 View Post
Shoman94, the installer said of the site that it is a bit difficult, and that the ABC and NBC stations were in different directions. Believe one tower is in Bremerton across Puget Sound if memory serves me correctly. He seemed to think that it would be a choice to make, in that pick one and we would try to optimize reception and the other may not come in at all. He was encouraged by the model antenna he has in his shop, will be back Monday to try that one, and I'll let you know what it is and the results...
rabbit73 brings up a good point!

ABC and NBC are only 2 degrees apart according to your TVFOOL report. I also think elevation is a key player here and that tree I saw in the photo.
shoman94 is offline   Reply With Quote