TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Nov-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Jeff

I needed advise from you fine members; antenna advice

Hello, I am looking to cut the cable cord and save my household some cash. I really have no idea how to get started and was referred to this site. I have a single level home surround by 40+ tall pine trees. I have plenty of room for an outdoor antenna if recommended. That's what I needed advise with first is the best overall antenna for my home. I have read some of the other posts and was totally inspired. As suggested is my address link: **http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a372e4542419

Thanks to anyone willing to help me.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Nov-2010, 9:10 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Reception

Is that pine trees or palm trees. Repost the link this time with the antenna height at 25 feet so as to increase strength of the received tv transmissions. How many tv's will be connected ?
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Nov-2010, 1:19 PM   #3
Jeff

Pine Trees...

Hi John,
Thank you for responding. I have 5 TV's. Not all used at the same time. To get better reception 25' up what are my options? A tower? I am surround by pine trees.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 8-Nov-2010, 3:55 PM   #4
Billiam

I'm not a fine member but I'll chime in anyway.

Only 50 and 49 along with a translator or LPTV on 28 seem gettable. UHF only needed.

Which of these channels do you plan to watch? Can't recommend anything until we know what you would like to watch.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Nov-2010, 4:10 PM   #5
Jeff

Thanks Billiam,
I am looking for just the basics if possible; CBS, NBC, CBS everything beyond that (if they are even possible) is a bonus. I am looking to cut the cable end (TV) of my bill and keep the internet (Netflix, etc) for other viewing needs. That's the idea anyways. I am totally new at this and will even have to look up translator... I really appreciate your input.
Old 8-Nov-2010, 5:39 PM   #6
Billiam

The three channels that I mentioned are, realistically, the only channels you may be able to receive according to the information posted in your TV Fool report. I doubt you can get the fourth channel in red (25) because the signal is incredibly weak. Every channel in gray is not likely to come in because these channels are too weak at your location.

Check with some of your neighbors to see if any are using an over the air antenna to receive local TV. Also, drive around a bit to see if you see any in use within a mile or two of your home and perhaps talk to the home owner to see what they get. Pull a TV Fool report for any location that you see a over the air antenna and that might give you some idea of what you might get at your location, if you do and do not talk to the occupant.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Nov-2010, 6:16 PM   #7
John Candle

Tv Reception

If you will like some real answers , Repost the radar plot with antenna at 25 feet .
Old 8-Nov-2010, 6:19 PM   #8
Dave Loudin

One thing to try with your TVFool report before completely throwing in the towel:

Start here and verify that the pointer that shows on the resulting map is actually at your location (it's a Google map, zoom in as necessary and drag the pointer to the right place.) Next, enter increasingly large values for antenna height. Each time you click away from the box, the predictions will update. See if any of the stations' signal predictions increase dramatically. You initial report was run at the default of 10 feet.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2010, 4:44 AM   #9
John Candle

Tv Reception

If you will like some REAL ANSWERS , Repost the radar plot with the antenna at 25 feet.