TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Oct-2014, 8:15 PM   #1
sau818

CBS Chicago help

I have an old channel master antenna with broken elements that I stuck some rods in and receiving all channels from Chicago most of the time. Channel 2 goes first and some others will break up some but usually still watchable. I have 50 feet of rg6 cable and then split and split again serving 5 tv's. On mast RCA amp and a few boosters when splitting. I tried RCA 3038 and it wasn't any better than old antenna. I tried chanel master 7728 amp and no different than the RCA amp. If CBS Chicago locks in I seem to get the rest of what I need and that is my focus without losing it during middle of viewing! Any advice here? http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243d5090795db
sau818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Oct-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sau818 View Post
I have an old channel master antenna with broken elements that I stuck some rods in and receiving all channels from Chicago most of the time. Channel 2 goes first and some others will break up some but usually still watchable. I have 50 feet of rg6 cable and then split and split again serving 5 tv's. On mast RCA amp and a few boosters when splitting. I tried RCA 3038 and it wasn't any better than old antenna. I tried chanel master 7728 amp and no different than the RCA amp. If CBS Chicago locks in I seem to get the rest of what I need and that is my focus without losing it during middle of viewing! Any advice here? http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243d5090795db
You may have one of several things happening:

Your distribution system is causing problems
You're having FM inteference
Your antenna is in a bad location
The TV antenna was repaired incorrectly
A combination of the above

I'd bet on too much distribution gain causing FM problems. Your strongest FM station is WCSJ on 103.1 MHz. WCFL is on 104.7 MHz. The second harmonics of both WCSJ and WCFL fall on WBBM's channel 12 (204-210 MHz). Excessive distribution gain causes harmonics of strong stations. The all channel antenna that you have picks up FM very well.

Start by making sure that the FM trap in the TVPRAMP-1R (if that is what you have) is switched on. Next try one TV set connected to the downlead without any distribution amps. Then decide what to do if you learn anything.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Oct-2014, 8:13 PM   #3
sau818

Thanks. I made sure the FM tram was on and it is the same problem. Really I wouldn't mind replacing with something better. I am not sure about buying online and stores near me don't carry much. I would buy online if I was confident it would be better than what I have now.
Old 12-Oct-2014, 3:41 PM   #4
Stereocraig

It's not just you.
Even back in the 60s in my Waukegan days, ch2 was the straggler of the main 4 channels.
I remember hearing every excuse from all of the airplanes reflecting and flying through the signal, to the tall buildings doing the same thing. (Even before Hancock and Sears Tower)

You're right about antenna retailers, very few places sell them anymore.

Some good choices in no particular order. Channel Master, Winegard, Antennacraft and Antennas Direct.

The type of antenna you purchase, will depend on your station requirements
and if they're all at the same heading.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Oct-2014, 3:57 PM   #5
sau818

Thanks! I know it is the hardest to bring in and why. I would like some opinions on antennas that might do it based on my location? Like I said I tried a few things that didn't work as well as my old broken Channel Master!