TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Jul-2013, 3:10 PM   #1
LurkerDan

Antenna help

So, this is my TVFool profile: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae3d9bde3628

I am stuck with an indoor antenna for the time being. I don't need a ton of channels, really just looking for the network ones for football (which I guess is CBS, Fox, NBC?). The location in my house is on the lower level of a split-level house (not a basement, but the south side floor is maybe 3 feet below ground level). The antenna needs to go on the northish side, but would be next to a north facing window. Unfortunately, I think most of the close towers are almost directly south.

A friend who lives not super far from me tried the Leaf and said it didn't work for him, but I don't know how much he played with positioning, or any other details about his circumstances.

Is that enough info? If not, what else would be helpful to know.

Would something simple like the Leaf work (my friend's experience notwithstanding)? Would I need to get one of the amplified ones (especially given his experience)?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by LurkerDan; 26-Jul-2013 at 4:03 PM.
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2013, 4:49 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

It's not clear why you are limited to indoor mounting... so just to be sure you are aware, here's a link to the FCC OTARD rules that protect your right to install an antenna: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

Even if truly limited to an indoor installation, I would use an outdoor antenna such as the Winegard HD7694P (or larger). Indoor installs limit the amount of signal to the antenna while increasing the amount of interference that is received.

Amplifiers are not a substitute for an antenna installed in a location with usable signal. Skip the little UHF only antennas.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2013, 6:29 PM   #3
LurkerDan

I am not legally limited to indoor mounting, I get that. For various reasons, I am functionally limited to indoor mounting.
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2013, 7:35 PM   #4
teleview

The Tv stations you will like to receive are to the South.

Place a TERK HDTVa antenna in/at a , South East , South , South West , facing window / patio.

The higher above ground the antenna is , the better the reception will be.

Aim the HDTVa at about 170 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

If required , run a long coax from the antenna to the Tv.