TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Sep-2013, 3:34 AM   #1
Duckboat

Smile Antenna Advice

I am considering the OTA alternative to cable. Have been reading a few different sites and am curious how high and how big of an antenna I would need in my area. This is the radar plot of my area. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aebe1618947a
We have a rather large maple tree to the south and west of the proposed location of the antenna. There will be two or three tv sets running from the antenna. FM radio would be nice as well.
Do I need a preamp? I assume a rotor is a necessary evil as well?
Any help would be appreciated.
Duckboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2013, 9:18 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The Antennas Direct 91XG, Antennacraft Y10713 and RCA TVPRAMP1R pointed SW (about 240° per a real compass) come to mind. They need a clear view if possible. Your path profile (click on a call sign link on your TVFR) suggests that a bit more antenna height will be a big help.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2013, 2:17 AM   #3
Duckboat

Thanks GroundUrMast. I see that I also will get signals in the low band so a 2-69 antenna would be better wouldn't it?
Old 19-Sep-2013, 2:36 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

I see some virtual channel numbers that may be confusing the situation... For example, WDIV, VC 4.1. However, this is not a Low-VHF channel, it's broadcast on real channel 45, a UHF channel. WJBK, VC 2.1 is another example that may be confused as a L-VHF signal. It's not, it's a H-VHF signal, broadcast on real channel 7.

Antennas, cable, splitters and amplifiers have no awareness of virtual channel numbers. Only the real channel number matters when choosing these components.

I have to go to all the way down the list to CKCO and WLMB to spot any L-VHF signals. Both (if they are even on the air) are far to distant and weak to receive.

Hope this helps... and hope I haven't overlooked anything.

Old 19-Sep-2013, 4:03 AM   #5
Duckboat

I see that now. I also see CKCO is available as channel 42 in analogue. I assume that this antenna would pick that up?
Thanks for your advice.
Old 19-Sep-2013, 4:23 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

If that analog signal is still on the air, yes the 91XG would be a high performance solution.

It's up to you to decide if a rotator makes sense. If you have more than one TV to connect, a rotator can be a source of conflict. Other options involve multiple antennas. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882