TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Feb-2015, 8:04 PM   #1
jsuess2

Metro St.Louis OTA Troubles

Here is my Signal Analysis first off:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c1556df19e62f

I have recently dropped cable because we were never using it, 99% of what we watch is Netflix or PBS. However I cannot get KETC (PBS) OTA. I have tried the Winegard Flatwave with no luck. I could get everything except PBS.

I am in an apartment on the lower level so pretty much limited to an indoor antenna. Anyone have any suggestions??
jsuess2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Feb-2015, 8:18 PM   #2
Jake V

Do you have a window that faces roughly southeast?

What antenna do you have now? You said you tried the Winegard Flatwave but didn't say if you still have it. If you still have it put it in a window facing southeast or on a wall facing southeast as high as you can and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, do you have a closet quite near the television? It is possible to mount an antenna in the closet. If yes, I'd try an Eagle Aspen aimed southeast (under $20 at WalMart).
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Feb-2015, 8:46 PM   #3
jsuess2

No I took it back. My walls and windows are mostly N/S or E/W facing. I do have a closet pretty close I could try the aspen.
jsuess2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Feb-2015, 9:00 PM   #4
Jake V

Others will comment.

But I think the Eagle Aspen is the most inexpensive experiment. A standard indoor antenna (loop or flat one like you tried) is unlikely to get anything in yellow (and might even have trouble with those in green if your building is wrapped in metal (i.e., aluminum or stucco siding). Just be very careful in case you want to take it back (save receipts, open package carefully, etc.). The antenna should come with a transformer (adapter that goes between the antenna and the coax). You'll also need coax. I'd experiment in the room with the television to see what you get then move to the closet if you want. You'll likely have to try different places in the closet, too.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Feb-2015, 9:07 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

KETC has the weakest transmitter in St Louis and is usually difficult to pick up with an indoor antenna out in St Peters (I see you're just a few blocks south of Mid River's Mall, Ridgewoods Apartments).

Unless you have a decent signal path towards Fenton, the location of KETC's tower, your odds of getting reliable reception is going to be determined mostly by what's out in front of your antenna as your primary method for the signal to reach any indoor antenna is going to be due to signal penetration of all the building materials.

Be patient and be prepared to try multiple locations for your antenna. Do not get married to one spot just because it's convenient.

If you want to pick up something locally that you can try, your local Walmart or Best Buy should have the C2V (you don't need the VHF module), Walmart will have the ClearStream 1 Convertible, Best Buy will have the Micron XG.

The Micron XG comes with an indoor amplifier. If you try either of the other models, see if your Walmart has an RCA AMP1450BR, usually around $15-20, and get it as well as coaxial cable.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2015, 6:20 PM   #6
haimez40

I live in St Charles, slightly closer and I have the same issues. I also am using the Flatwave. I can get channel 9 but I then sacrifice other stations. I have a sweet spot right now that for odd reason gets 9.1 but 9.2(kids) just barely doesn't cut it and is unwatchable. Luckily they have a roku app for my 2 year old. Long story short with the Flatwave in optimal conditions for my location using any location in the house I have to choose yes or no on channel 9 vs other top stations. Even on the second story of my house I have this issue and I get channel 50.1 randomly which is odd when looking at the reports. I plan on going the outdoor route once this weather goes away and go DB4E like ADtech suggested. Just my experience with the flatwave which is a nice indoor product for the price. Years ago I had good luck with the Terk HDTV1a but I would have to move it slightly to watch channel 9, but it was bulkier but easier to aim.

That RCA amp you suggest ADTech I can't find online, did you mean TVPRAMP1R? Only reason I ask is cause I was interested in other options. That is what I plan on getting and it is $21 at Walmart or at that Menards by you jsues2. There is a good breakdown in the other section of the forum with a sticky on the TVPRAMP1R.

Last edited by haimez40; 18-Feb-2015 at 8:18 PM.
haimez40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2015, 8:05 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Oops, try "AMP1450R" in Walmart.com's search box. That one was carried in-store in the past, but I do know that Walmart is re-doing their product set for that department so availability in store may not be reflected on the website. It's an indoor-only amp.

For indoors only applications, our tapered loop UHF indoor antennas outperform the Flatwave for UHF reception (which is all that's needed in St Louis). I've performed three separate indoor antenna comparisons over the last several years as part of my job and our loops have come out on top every time for UHF beating ALL comers in that category.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote