TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Nov-2011, 1:50 PM   #1
James T

Question Antenna help in Hamilton Ontario

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for your help!

My Radar report is here.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...4bba480b2ba239

I have a 2 storey house with an existing satellite dish mounted on the side of the roof. I intend on re-using the mount for an antenna. It will be around 25 feet above ground.
I don't have much in the way of obstructions, a few trees but not too close by really.

I'd like to be able to get the PBS channels from the Buffalo area if possible. WNED-DT(red zone in report, I should be able to get this?)

What are my chances of getting the other PBS channel WXXI-DT(grey zone). What would I need to do?

So if anyone has any thoughts on what sort of antenna I should buy, how high I should mount it, or other tips..... it will be greatly appreciated!
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2011, 2:23 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

You should be able to receive WNED using an Antenna Direct XG-91 and CPA-19. If you have the opportunity to safely mount higher, rerun your TVFR at the higher elevation to see what would be gained.

Reception of WXXI will depend on atmospheric conditions. You may see it occasionally but not even a Wade PB-82-BB would guaranty reliable reception.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2011, 4:20 PM   #3
Dave Loudin

The other thing to consider: a high-gain antenna gets that way by discriminating against directions away from where it's pointed more so than low-gain antennas. Your closest channels should come in with a paper clip, so that's not an issue. However, the stations to the northeast may drop out completely when you aim an antenna like the XG-91 towards Buffalo.

Before you spend any money, please consult this thread (if you haven't already) at DigitalHome to see what others in your area have done.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2011, 7:41 PM   #4
James T

Thanks so far guys. I should have mentioned that getting the PBS channels wasn't my primary goal.
I'm looking for that happy medium of getting local High def signals, southern Ontario stations and some north New York stations.

I'd like to get a good selection of stations as I'm planning on dropping cable.
Old 10-Nov-2011, 9:03 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Thanks for clarifying your goals.

DL is quite right, the XG-91 is going to be too directional to offer simultaneous reception of your local signals. I agree with his advise to consult the detailed reception conditions in your area. I suspect that the analog signal of CITS is no longer on the air but you'll want to confirm that. If you have that much power so close to you, reception of all other channels will be quite difficult.

Reception of the local signals should be easy with just a cheap set of rabbit ears. (Non amplified.) http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2828

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 8-Dec-2011 at 6:27 PM.
Old 14-Nov-2011, 6:44 PM   #6
James T

From my reading the forums so far...
I'm thinking of getting a...
antennas Direct DB8
or
Channel Master 4228hd
or
Antennas Direct DB4e

Then aiming it slightly towards Buffalo. I will apparently get signals from both directions. Fingers crossed.

I also stumbled on a Digiwave ANT7287 that is adjustable. Would this unit be of any use?

Thanks,
Old 14-Nov-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
Dave Loudin

You haven't read the DigitalHome threads if you are considering the Digiwave. That's a gimmick antenna that won't do what you think it will.

For heaven's sake, don't get an xxx8 anything. Those will be too directional for you. The DB4e might do the trick.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Dec-2011, 5:54 PM   #8
James T

Question How things stnad so far

CM 4221HD
Mounted approx. 19 feet high.
2-way splitter
50 feet RG6
Pointed roughly between Toronto and Buffalo(into Lake Ontario)

I am receiving these:
5 CBC (some pixelization)
9 CTV CFTO
11 CHCH
19 TVO
25 SRC
36 CITS
41 GLOBAL CIII
(HD & SD)

When mounting on the existing satellite mount, I realized the peak of the roof(in front of my antenna, between the antenna and lake Ontario) is roughly in-line with the center of the antenna. I imagine this is affecting my results.
Should I…
a) Try pointing the antenna towards the CN Tower, to see if I can get a few more Toronto stations? (The roof should not be as much an issue in this direction)
b) I could re-mount the j-pole and mount to the fascia on the east side of the house, past the peak of the roof.
c) I could get a taller mast for the existing location. This would save some re-wiring)

Any comments on my ideas or other thoughts\tips are welcome!
Old 8-Dec-2011, 6:42 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

I would face the 4221 toward 44° compass. The antenna is least sensitive to the sides. It's primary sensitivity is toward the front but it's able to receive signals from behind.

If you want a few signals from Buffalo, I think you will need to consider using a second antenna dedicated to that purpose. (post #2 in this thread.)

There are several ways to combine or connect signals from multiple antennas http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 8-Dec-2011 at 8:52 PM.
Old 9-Dec-2011, 2:43 PM   #10
James T

Question Using a rotor?

I've been reading and I'm wondering if I remount my antenna on a taller mast, attach a rotor and add some sort of pre-amp. If this would be a good solution?

What should I consider if I want to get Toronto and Buffalo stations. What sort of pre-amp would be useful in this situation?
Old 9-Dec-2011, 5:07 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

You're faced with weak signals from Buffalo. Mounting the antenna higher may help, perhaps significantly. You can run a new TV Fool report using the new height if you would like to see the predicted difference.

If you post a TVFR based on a higher AGL, I'd be happy to comment on how that change would improve your opportunity to receive Buffalo signals.

(In post #2 of this thread, the CPA-19 is a preamp.)

Old 9-Dec-2011, 5:38 PM   #12
James T

two reports

19' existing antenna height
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec12e6f61f36bf

25' proposed height
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec129a4825597e
Old 9-Dec-2011, 6:24 PM   #13
GroundUrMast

The additional 6' of height improves the Buffalo signal strength by only one tenth of a decibel, virtually no change. If the additional height overcomes a nearby obstacle it would be worth the time and effort, otherwise, don't bother.

If I were in your situation, starting from scratch, I would install an RCA ANT-751 pointed to the NNW (44° compass). I would not install an amplifier or preamp. I would pursue the Buffalo stations separately using an XG-91 and a CPA-19 preamp.

I would use separate cables from each antenna to each TV. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

(You already own the CM-4221 so I would suggest trying it to see if you get acceptable high-VHF reception)