TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Feb-2010, 4:12 AM   #1
christyyyjoy

Question San Diego - RCA ANT1650 indoor antenna - Only want ABC (10.1)!!!

I just bought an ATI TV Wonder 750 and an RCA ANT1650 indoor antenna for one reason--I want to watch the Lost premiere on ABC! The TV tuner seems to be working great, as does the antenna... but it seems like the only channel I DON'T get is ABC (KGTV 10.1)!!

According to both AntennaWeb and TVFool <http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c7232a13912500>, this should be no problem! Yet I cannot get digital nor analog signal for this station. I've tried moving the antenna around a few times, "pointing" (it's flat) the antenna toward the station, but I'm still not getting anything. My thought is that I need a different antenna, but I have no idea what to get.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated! Or, is there somewhere else I can watch Lost on Tuesday?

Resources:
christyyyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2010, 4:34 AM   #2
christyyyjoy

I've been searching through lots of threads, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's a UHF/VHF problem. Is is possible that my antenna can't pick up VHF, and that's why it isn't working?
Old 2-Feb-2010, 5:50 AM   #3
mtownsend

Hello and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyyyjoy View Post
I've been searching through lots of threads, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's a UHF/VHF problem. Is is possible that my antenna can't pick up VHF, and that's why it isn't working?
You may very well be right. There's practically no technical specifics on the antenna from the manufacturer (usually a sign that they're not too proud of it's true technical performance). I cannot tell what the VHF performance is supposed to be, and maybe that's because it has none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyyyjoy View Post
is there somewhere else I can watch Lost on Tuesday?
Hulu.com has episodes of Lost, but I don't know how much time delay there is between the first air date and the web site. It also won't be in HD like you see from the live broadcast.

If you want something quick for VHF, your best bet is rabbit ears. In a most basic set of rabbit ears plus loop antenna, the rabbit ears take care of VHF while the loop takes care of UHF. Your stations are close and strong, so indoor rabbit ears just might do the trick. Also note that ABC is coming from the north-west side of your house in case you discover that you need to fine-tune your antenna aim.

For a specific model you might find at Walmart or some other local store, you might want to look for the Philips PHDTV3 (it also goes by the name SDV2790/27). This antenna includes rabbit ears that you can adjust to get your VHF channels. Hopefully, you can find something and try it right away.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Feb-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
christyyyjoy

Thanks very much for your response! We ended up getting the rabbit ears and a longer coaxial cable... and success! We're able to get ABC with the new antenna next to the window.

Looks like I get to watch the Lost premiere with everyone else tonight! Thank you!