TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Aug-2011, 4:36 AM   #1
chrisrobey77

Poor Daylight Reception????

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9e743aca925361

Antennas Direct 91XG UHF TV Antenna (91XG)
and
Winegard HD7000R VHF/UHF/FM DTV TV Antenna (HD-7000R)

I am most interested in the KAUZ (CBS) station that is 70 miles away.

Generally after sunset I get good reception, however during the day I get an unusable signal. It this something that I can overcome? Any ideas on the root cause?
chrisrobey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Aug-2011, 3:28 PM   #2
mtownsend

How are these antennas hooked up?

Are you using the 91XG for UHF and the HD7000R as a VHF antenna? If so, they need to be combined through a diplexor like the Pico Macom UVSJ. Alternatively, you can get a pre-amp with dual inputs (UHF and VHF) like the Channel Master 7777 that takes care of combining signals and boosting them at the same time.

How long is the cable from the antenna to the TV? If the cable is more than 30 feet, you ought to use a pre-amp to overcome the cable losses if you don't already have one.

Also, do you split the signal to multiple TVs? A splitter will reduce the amount of signal that reaches each end-point. A pre-amp can overcome this problem too. If you do have a splitter, but some of the branches are unused, you ought to "cap off" the unused branches with a terminator (like this) so that the open ends don't "reflect" signal back into the cable, potentially causing a kind of self-interference.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Aug-2011, 6:08 PM   #3
chrisrobey77

Currently the system is only hooked up to the 91XG with 33 feet of cable with no splitters going to only one source.

The perplexing thing is that I have a strong signal at night, but an unusable signal during the day.
chrisrobey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Aug-2011, 7:17 PM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

The root of the cause is the , distance , and the strength of the signal , the height of the receiving antenna and the Sun Shine , during the day time the sun shine blasts away and knocks the signal out. And during the day time the changing layers of the atmosphere warp the signal , moving the signal up and down and all around. Also at night the weak signal is warped by the atmosphere. The way to over come these situations if it can be , is , more antenna height , a bigger better antenna that you already have in the 91XG , moving the antenna around to find a hot spot where the signal is stronger and you can also use a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamplifier.

Last edited by John Candle; 18-Aug-2011 at 7:20 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Aug-2011, 8:08 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

A CPA-19 is likely the easiest thing to try.

Added antenna height is highest on my list of possible fixes. (pardon the pun.) Safely installed towers aren't free though.

Vertically stacking two XG-91s would be another possible solution.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote