TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Aug-2010, 4:27 PM   #1
trvlnut

Antenna for Phoenix az

I want to attic mount an antenna and split the signal to 3 or 4 areas. What do I supplies (antenna, amp, etc.) do I need to purchase?

Thanks

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe65917594ba
trvlnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2010, 5:21 PM   #2
mtownsend

You have some very strong signals, so no amp is needed. Signals this strong can be too much for most amps to handle, so you're best off avoiding anything with a built-in amp.

I'd recommend going with a Winegard HD7694P or Antennacraft HBU-33 mounted on the roof, pointing south. There are a few mounting possibilities depending on how your house is constructed and where you want to place the antenna (e.g., chimney, wall, eave, and tripod mounts are common).

Use RG6 coax to connect the signal into the house. A standard 4-way splitter is all that you need to send the signal to all your TVs. If you end up with extra unused ports on your splitter, just cap them off with an inexpensive 75-ohm terminator (like this) to prevent excess signal being reflected back into your coax (and possibly causing interference).

It looks like you are blessed with a lot of channels and a simple antenna setup.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2010, 5:31 PM   #3
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
An additional tip here: the Tucson stations should also come in at your house if you aim your antenna slightly south-east of South Mountain. While they are a bit weaker than the very strong Phoenix stations, they still put enough signal over your area to make them available.

mtownsend is absolutely right about mounting an antenna either ON your roof, or on an eave that can site the antenna over the highest part of your roof. Attic mounts in very hot climates can be a real issue because HVAC equipment mounted in an attic and the widespread use of foil-backed insulation in roofs Additionally, since many homes in Phoenix have stucco exteriors, you'll find that stucco and CBS construction really blocks YV reception. An exterior antenna is far and away your best solution .
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote