TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Feb-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
OTA76

Question Need info about altitude

Hi everybody, I plan to put a DB8 antenna in the attic of my house, It will be set approximately between 25' and 30' in height.

On google maps, it says that I'm around 110' in altitude... so when I go on tvfool.com and I want to know what station I'm able to get do I put 135' or 25' ?

My postal code is J0N 1P0

I'd like to get OTA from the burlington, Vt area.

Also any recommandation on what I should get (pre-amp...) to have the maximum reception ?

Thanks in advance.
OTA76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Feb-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA76 View Post
when I go on tvfool.com and I want to know what station I'm able to get do I put 135' or 25' ?

Put in the height of the antenna above ground, 25'. TVfool looks up the altitude of your location in a terrain database.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Feb-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA76 View Post
any recommandation on what I should get (pre-amp...) to have the maximum reception ?
Pre-amp or not will depend on how strong your signals are. If you have very strong signals nearby, then a pre-amp can overload, making things worse rather than better.

You equipment selection really depends on your signal situation, so we would need to see your TV Fool analysis first.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Feb-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
OTA76

I hope this is what you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg channel.JPG (109.1 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg location.JPG (21.4 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg dbm.JPG (34.3 KB, 512 views)
Old 11-Feb-2011, 1:06 AM   #5
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

AS the other question askers do. Do this --> http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4 Do not post separate pictures , post a live and active radar report. This is not information about your antenna this is information about what the others are doing , they are not providing information that is useful until it's point out to them Point Blank. It is OK to provide useful information and a radar report that can be worked with , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1335 , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1242

Last edited by John Candle; 11-Feb-2011 at 1:23 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Feb-2011, 1:19 AM   #6
OTA76

Sorry I'm a newbie

there you go.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e07c08da7c26e0

I'd like to get FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS

Last edited by OTA76; 11-Feb-2011 at 1:21 AM. Reason: forgot to put channel I want
Old 11-Feb-2011, 1:34 AM   #7
John Candle

The newbie status is not working , recent question askers have been told to post a useful radar report , reading them -- you know what needs to done.
Old 11-Feb-2011, 2:18 AM   #8
John Candle

How many Tv's will be connected??
Old 11-Feb-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
OTA76

What I'd like to do is :

Antenna in the attic --> Tv tuner --> home theater --> 50" plasma tv

So short answer, 1 tv.

Thanks
Old 11-Feb-2011, 1:31 PM   #10
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

I suggest a Winegard HD7695P antenna or ChannelMaster CM 2018 antenna or Antennacraft HBU44 . . And Rotor Channel Master CM9521A Mounted on the roof. This will get you all of the digital channels to the east and south , all the way down to WFFF-DT 43 FOX in the channel list. Read and understand this about , Real Digital Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Tv Channels , Analog Tv Channels. forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 The same thing applies in Canada.Here is how to point Tv antennas , Here is how to point Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Last edited by John Candle; 12-Feb-2011 at 2:54 AM.
Old 11-Feb-2011, 11:55 PM   #11
OTA76

So if I understand you well, if I want all the channel that I said, I have to forget the antenna in the attic and put one on the roof ?

If so, it's now time for me to start negotiate with me girlfriend... it's going to be a hard win
Old 12-Feb-2011, 1:09 AM   #12
John Candle

As you can see the Tv stations are at different widely spaced directions. Tv antennas are directional in reception and the Tv stations are so widely spaced that a directional antenna will not receive them all pointed in one direction , so the tv antenna needs to be rotated to point at the tv stations. There is another way of doing it with 2 antennas and no rotor. One antenna in the attic is pointed to the east the strong stations and the other antenna on the roof is pointed at weaker stations to the south. And the two antennas are 2 separate antenna systems , 2 separate coax to the Tv with a remote control A/B antenna switch to switch the Tv to antenna A and antenna B. . OR you could use a indoor antenna to watch the channels in green. Here are the indoor antennas , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 . . . Read the other question askers questions and understand that they are getting the truth about there questions. Here is how to point Tv antennas , What is interesting is this and other Common Information that is True is given time after time after time after time after time , again and again \and again and again and over and over and over and over and over , repeatedly , repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedaly , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Last edited by John Candle; 12-Feb-2011 at 6:51 AM.
Old 12-Feb-2011, 3:13 AM   #13
John Candle

We are about 2 generations removed from the past when many people new at least something of the truth about reception of Broadcast Tv. Broadcast Tv has always been here all these years , where were you?? And now Digital Broadcast Television provides more interesting , crystal clear channels , many that you will not find on Pay cable or Pay satellite. And guess what , Broadcast Digital Television is Free. When this post is 4 posts in the past , know one will read it and every thing down to the smallest detail will need to be explained over again. and this cycle repeats it's self over and over and over again , So Sad For The Humans.

Last edited by John Candle; 12-Feb-2011 at 4:07 AM.
Old 12-Feb-2011, 1:31 PM   #14
OTA76

Thanks for the info John.

Even if you repeat yourself over and over like you said, I'm sure that the fact you answer them personnaly make them really really really happy.

Make someone smile is something so great for the Humans.