TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Feb-2012, 7:57 PM   #1
JimmyT

Rooftop Antenna to existing cable junction box

Hi folks,

Am in the process of cutting the cord and researching rooftop antenna. My house was built wired for cable with an exterior junction box. The junction box says Spectrum and also says Time Warner Cable (does not say property of and is attached to my house).

I will continue to keep TWC as my internet provider and the junction box appears to have one single input.

Here is my question. If I take the one cable going to my cable modem and use some form of extender or coupler to connect the TWC cable line for data to that single cable, can I then just connect an OTA rooftop antenna to that junction box or is it more involved than that?

Thanks in advance,
--JT
JimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2012, 6:39 AM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

You own the coax cables that are in or on your house and you own the junction box. Cable companies maintain the coaxes and the box because it's the only way to get the cable signals from point A to point B. DO NOT connect the Tv antenna to any , active cable tv coaxes , active cable internet coaxes , active cable phone coaxes , or any other type or kind of cable delivered service. A separate coax or coaxes will need to be installed for the Tv antenna reception to the Tv. As an example , if one coax is delivering the cable internet to the cable modem , then the other coaxes can be used with the splitter in the junction box for the Tv antenna. A inline coupler that connects two coaxes together (commonly called a barrel because it looks like a barrel ) can be used to connect the main cable coax line to the modem.

Last edited by Electron; 19-Feb-2012 at 2:48 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
JimmyT

Thanks mucho E.

I wrote the question to quickly and think I misrepresented what I'm trying to do.

Currently, I have an incoming feed from the cable co going into the junction box. Let me call the incoming cable, Wire A.

Wire A currently feeds data and basic cable.

There are 8 wires connected to 8 different ports in the junction box going to different areas in the house. One of those wires goes to my cable modem (I'll call it Wire D).

When I install a rooftop antenna, hopefully in a few months, it will have a coax cable coming out of it (I'll call this Wire O).

What I want to do, is drop basic cable and keep data active.

If I directly couple Wire A (incoming data) to Wire D (cable modem) and bypass the junction box for that connection, that will leave the junction box available to receive my antenna cable (Wire O) to feed the remainder of the house.

My question is, will this work?

Thanks again,
--JT
Old 19-Feb-2012, 2:35 AM   #4
Electron

Yes , connect wire A to wire D to the cable modem. You understand what needs to be done. And yes use the splitter and other coaxes to distribute the antenna reception through out the house. The reason I go into the long explaination is because in the past , question askers , have been determined ( and I mean determined !!!! ) to connect the tv antenna to the active cable system.

Last edited by Electron; 19-Feb-2012 at 2:51 AM.
Old 20-Feb-2012, 6:55 PM   #5
JimmyT

Cool beans. Thanks again E.
After I determine my antenna and TV locations, I'll post another question regarding gear.
Old 22-Feb-2012, 5:50 AM   #6
Electron

As you know , you can get antenna and reception information here at tvfool. And you can post your radar plot with the exact address and antenna height of 25 feet to start with and how many tv's are/will be connected , right here at the post that you have already started.
Old 9-Apr-2012, 2:48 PM   #7
JimmyT

Antenna Recommendation

Hi folks,

Because I have a decent pitch to my roof, I am not doing the installation myself. The folks I have found are only willing to do the installation if I purchase the antenna through them and they only sell Channelmaster and Winegard.

So between those two vendors, I would like to receive all the green signals in the report below along with the WPFO-DT(23.1) link.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...267ee48d1b92f4

Thank you in advance,
--JT
Old 9-Apr-2012, 4:19 PM   #8
Electron

How many Tv's will be connected??

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 9-Apr-2012 at 7:33 PM. Reason: Merged OP's threads
Old 11-Apr-2012, 8:53 PM   #9
JimmyT

2 TV's
Max potential is for 2 more in the future (for a total of 4).
Old 11-Apr-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
Electron

I recommend a ANT751 aimed north or a Winegard HD7000R aimed north. No antenna amplifier will be used.
Old 12-Apr-2012, 4:36 PM   #11
JimmyT

Thanks mucho E!

--JT