TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Mar-2015, 9:22 PM   #1
RGB

Need Some Antenna Suggestions

Hello,

Like many others, i'm looking to cut the cord and dump Dish Network in favor of streaming services and OTA programming. I'm pretty handy so i'm looking to do all the installation myself. I don't know much about antennas though so i was hoping to get some advice.

I did a TV Signal Analysis:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f05b2a0a0fdf

Im guessing a roof mount would be the best option?
Can i run a splitter and use the same antenna on two tvs?
I'd rather not have to reposition the antenna for different channels if possible.
Trying to keep it fairly cheap since one of the selling points is saving money.
Priority channels: KUSI, KSWB, KPBS, KNSD, GTV, KFMB

Thanks for any help you can offer!
RGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2015, 9:57 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The San Diego market is often a 'two-antenna-market' due to the KFMB and KGTV transmitters location.

It looks as if you're blocked by terrain so yes, an outdoor antenna is going to be far more realistic than an attic or set top antenna.

I'd suggest the Antennas Direct 91XG pointed south, and an Antennacraft Y10713 pointed west.

You can certainly drive multiple TV sets if you insert a splitter in the down-lead. Use a splitter with the same number of output ports as tuners to be connected. You'll also benefit from a preamplifier at the antenna, I'd opt for an RCA TVPRAMP1R which has separate inputs for each of the above antennas... Or use the Antennas Direct 'Juice' preamp and their separate UHF/VHF combiner (EU385CF).

(The Antennacraft product line may be disappearing completely due to the Radio Shack/Antennacraft bankruptcy... The next best options for the Y10713 are either very large all channel units that cost quite a bit more, or they are less capable and may be inadequate in the conditions depicted in your report. I'd snatch a Y10713 soon.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Mar-2015 at 10:03 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2015, 10:47 PM   #3
RGB

Thanks for the reply.

Judging by the size of the antennas you suggested i'm guessing in in a less than ideal location. Would moving the height up another 6 feet or so make any difference? Not sure the HOA and/or wife would be too happy with 2 7ft plus antennas.

What about something like this?
http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/...an-diego-.html

Last edited by RGB; 19-Mar-2015 at 10:57 PM.
RGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Mar-2015, 12:26 AM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
What about something like this?
http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/...an-diego-.html

The Stacker has useless low-VHF elements making the VHF section far larger than it needs to be for your situation.

If you want to stay compact and unobtrusive, we have models for that: The ClearStream 5 and the ClearStream 4. They can be mounted on separate masts in whatever location is needed.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Mar-2015, 2:47 PM   #5
rickbb

For what it's worth, your HOA cannot legally prevent you from taking reasonable measures to get OTA TV with a roof top antenna. There are FCC regulations for that.

The wife on the other hand, the FCC wisely stays out of those battles.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote