TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Feb-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
holdmybeer

cold weather channel strength reversal

I live about 15 miles from all my stations. I have five important stations all about 187 degrees from the house. Channels 2.1 and 6.1 are the weakest at 17.0 NM. channels 8.1,10.1 and 12.1 are the strongest at 33NM. The weaker channels show a signal strength of 45% and the stronger channels show a strength of 75%. I am using a Winegard flatwave air 6550 antenna pointed in the direction of the stations 187-190 degrees. I live in a creek bed about 100' below the horizon.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94a2230f9396

When the temperature drops below 20 degrees F., the two weaker channels become quite strong (80%) and the normally three strong channels disappear all together. I have tried moving the antenna around but they just don't exist below temps of 20 degrees. When the temp goes up, the original situation is restored. Do you have any idea why the loss of those channels?

Last edited by holdmybeer; 12-Feb-2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: add link
holdmybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Feb-2014, 3:53 AM   #2
teleview

+=>
----
The situation/problem is the antenna Is Not the correct antenna.

The situation/problem is as the temperature goes up and down propagation of the electromagnetic waves of the Tv signal are effected by temperature inversions and reversions of air layers and sky.

This is Always happening to some degree every day and night every where over the planet.

You can find more information by typing , dx tv reception , in the google and yahoo search box.

Also water that gets into outside coax and connections and devices is a cause of bad reception

-----------

The Tv signal strengths at your location are Weak.

And your reception location and the antenna height of Tv fool report is showing , 2 Edge path obstructions = valleys , hills , mountains.

And the trees are , Zero help , and obstruct reception.

---------------

For better reception that compensates for the Negative Variables of your reception situation , a better antenna and better location for antenna is required for more reliable reception.

Use NEW Coax outside that has the compression type connectors on the ends of the coax.

Coax and couplers of all types and kinds can be bad , recommend replace with New.

Recommend install a , www.antennacraft.net , HBU44 antenna aimed at about 178 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

-------

Install a , www.antennacraft.net , 10G201 preamplifier.

----------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the HFS-2D and HFS-3D splitters at , www.hollandelectronics.com , or , www.amazon.com .

----------

Install the , HBU44 antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the direction of reception including trees and trees leaves , and obstructions of your own roof and building and any other type or kind of obstruction in the direction of reception.

To that end , here are some antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/Tripods%200703/4712.html
Use the , ronard(4812-50-10)

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.ronard.com , or , www.amazon.com .

--------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc.

www.antennacraft.net

www.amazon.com

www.hollandelectronics.com

Last edited by teleview; 13-Feb-2014 at 2:19 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 13-Feb-2014, 1:30 PM   #3
holdmybeer

thank you. Is there any way the change could be over amplification? The Winegard antenna has a small preamp. During cold weather the weak signals are pretty strong and the strong signals disappear. I see in the links you supply that over amplification can cause signals to disappear all together..maybe that's whats happening with my stronger signals?
holdmybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Feb-2014, 2:25 PM   #4
teleview

As to the issue of over amplification with a antenna system amplifier.

This happens when the Tv signals are Strong to begin with.

The signal strengths at your reception location and antenna height in the Tvfool report are Not strong.

The signal strength in the report are in the Yellow signal strength reception zone.