TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Feb-2016, 4:52 PM   #1
Huntington

Need Advice for Best Reception in Huntington, NY

I'm looking for any advice on how to maximize my reception capabilities where I live in Huntington, NY. My tvfool report can be found here:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134929efa5123

I'm about 30 miles from NYC as the crow flies. My elevation is pretty good, but the tree situation is very bad. I have two TV's to connect and my goal is to be able to receive all the basic network channels (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, PBS, etc).

I did a preliminary test with one of those RCA panel antennas inside my house on the second floor and the results were very bad. I needed to use the included amplifier in order to get anything and even then the results were poor. I think I need to go for broke and mount the best possible roof antenna I can get at the highest possible height.

Considering my tvfool report, I'm pretty far from any strong signals, so I would think I'd be a good candidate for a pre-amp. I'm looking for a recommendation on the best equipment I can get to maximize my chances ( antenna, pre-amp, splitter, cable, connectors, etc). I have two TV's to connect. One might have about 30 feet of cable from the splitter and the other might have about 50 feet. Also, should I get an external pre-amp as close as possible to the antenna before going into the splitter, or should individual amps be placed at the output of the splitter, or maybe right before the TV?

Any advice and any recommended equipment model numbers would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Feb-2016, 5:40 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Welcome, Huntington:

Your tvfool report and test results support your conclusion; an outdoor antenna will be needed in a location that will avoid the trees and other buildings as much as possible, especially in the 260 degrees true direction.

You will need a high gain VHF-High/UHF combo antenna like the Winegard HD7698P and a Channel Master 7778 preamp. An alternate preamp is the Antennas Direct Juice. The preamp should be mounted close to the antenna, which gives better results than an amp further down. The antenna should be aimed at 273 degrees magnetic using a real pocket compass.

Your weakest channel will be WNYW for Fox.

Quote:
I have two TV's to connect. One might have about 30 feet of cable from the splitter and the other might have about 50 feet.
Try just one TV first, then add a splitter for two TVs after the power inserter for the preamp. That will tell you if you also need a distribution amp.

If your TV has a signal strength indicator, that will tell you how weak a signal can be and still be received.

If the antenna is outside, the coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

Last edited by rabbit73; 25-Feb-2016 at 9:01 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Feb-2016, 9:49 PM   #3
shoman94

You could get all your channels except ABC with a good UHF antenna pointed at 273 degrees magnetic. You could also look at the Antennas Direct DB4e to take care of your UHF stations in a lot smaller package.
ABC is VHF which you could get with the add on VHF dipole retrofit kit also pointed in the same direction as the UHF antenna.

The antennas can be purchased direct or also at Amazon.
Antennas Direct DB4e
Antennas Direct VHF Retrofit kit.
You'll also need a mount system which best suits your needs and places it in an area with the least obstacles.

I suspect you'll need a preamp such as the CM-7778 or Antennas Direct "Juice". Have you done an FMfool report to see if you have any radio stations next to you?
shoman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Feb-2016, 10:04 PM   #4
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Here is his FM report; it doesn't look like a serious threat.
http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/4...2/Radar-FM.png
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
Huntington

Question on antenna differences

Rabbit and Shoman,

Thank you for the quick and informative replies. I was just wondering if anyone could comment on the advantages and disadvantages or the traditional Yagi type antenna like the Winegard HD7698P as compared to a bowtie type antenna like the Antennas Direct DB4e.

I know the bowtie is smaller, but how do they compare on gain/beamwidth. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for my situation I think I need as much antenna gain as possible. As for the DB4e, they also offer an 8 element bowtie with over 17 dB of gain. Can that only help my situation, or is there any downside to this?

Thanks.
Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
shoman94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntington View Post
Rabbit and Shoman,

Thank you for the quick and informative replies. I was just wondering if anyone could comment on the advantages and disadvantages or the traditional Yagi type antenna like the Winegard HD7698P as compared to a bowtie type antenna like the Antennas Direct DB4e.

I know the bowtie is smaller, but how do they compare on gain/beamwidth. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for my situation I think I need as much antenna gain as possible. As for the DB4e, they also offer an 8 element bowtie with over 17 dB of gain. Can that only help my situation, or is there any downside to this?

Thanks.
I'll link the PDF's for each antenna so you can make an informed decision.
IMO as far as gain they are both similar but the DB4e has a much wider beam and more pull from the back side which I think could help pull in some extra channels in your report.

HD7698p
DB4e
DB8e

The DB8e has even more gain but a narrower main beam with a lobe on each side of the main beam. It is adjustable and that could be used to your advantage but will require trial and error as well. I guess the biggest thing is what channels you want should help you decide which antenna could work for you.
I don't know specifics of design differences but if performance was the same I'd surely prefer the smaller package for aesthetics purposes and ease of installation.
shoman94 is offline   Reply With Quote