TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Mar-2013, 2:39 PM   #1
carlos28355

Which antenna for my area?

Hey guys i need suggestion on an antenna to get..My back yard faces south which is away from the channels. I just rencently moved into an HOA neighborhood and dont know all the rules yet so i was thinking....

front of house faces north and i have an attic that I was thinking i can mount antenna and point north through the attic vent thing..pictured below the middle of this vent is about 10.5' off the ground

here is my link for the results. Thanks!
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddabc936c7da7
carlos28355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Mar-2013, 4:21 PM   #2
teleview

Attics Are Not a reception friendly environment and Never Will Be a reception friendly environment.

Signal attenuation , electric/electronic interference , Multi-path/reflections-signals bouncing all around.

---->The stucko with stucko -->Wire<-->Will Cause Tv reception problems with a antenna in the attic.

And stucko with stucko -->Wire<-- will cause reception problems with a antenna inside the house.

Stucko -->Wire<-- is a excellent reflector , the Tv transmissions hit the stucko -->Wire<-- and bounce off.

The Tile roof Will cause Tv reception problems with a antenna in the attic.

Here is the Federal Antenna Law that says Yes you can install a antenna Above the Roof in such a manner so as to have Reliable Tv reception with a antenna above the roof.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html.

The Federal Antenna Law over rules and makes null and void , All , Hoa's/Aho's , housing coven-nuts , dead restricted housing , city's , counties , states , and any other crazy antenna haters no matter how they dress them selfs up with rules and regulations to hide behind , so as to look other then what they are -->Nuts.

A simple reception situation.

Install , so a ANT751 antenna is Above The Roof in such a manner that the roof and house are not blocking reception to the , north , north west , north east , south east.

Aim the ANT751 at about 0 degree magnetic compass direction.

As always , the starting antenna aim direction is the --> starting antenna aim direction.

The antenna aim can be adjusted , If required. <-- Notice the words , If required , does not say , is required.

Most Digital Tv's have a signal strength meter and some Digital Tv's also have a signal quality meter.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The ANT751 , antenna comes with a , J type antenna mount.

Install the ANT751 antenna above vent , but Not on the Wall on the outside of the house , install the J mount so the foot of the J type mount is on the Eave of the roof above the vent at the Top of the angle of the roof.

The ANT751 antenna Must Clear The Peak of the Roof so reception is not block by any part of the roof and house in the directions of , north , north west , north east , south east.

No antenna system amplifier is required.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a simple common 3 way splitter.

Home Depot or Lowes have the ANT751 antenna , splitters , and etc. .

Home Depot and Lowes will price match.

Copy from , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com.

For the ANT751 antenna price match.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , do a good job of , absorbing , multi-path reflecting , blocking , OTA=Over The Air , Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

It is best to install the ANT751 at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select , 'Air Channels' / 'Antenna CHannels'.

Last edited by teleview; 29-Mar-2013 at 7:51 PM.
Old 29-Mar-2013, 5:54 AM   #3
carlos28355

Awesome thanks for the detailed response i really appreciate it...now to find best location for mounting!! ha.

As far as that federal law goes about antenna do I have to tell my HOA im putting one up? Cuz id rather not deal with it. Obviously you dont have my HOA information and I do not hold you legally responsible lol but again do you think I can do this without contacting them?

That looks like a great antenna ill go to home depot and check it out

Thanks again!

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 29-Mar-2013 at 6:30 AM. Reason: Deleting off-topic content
Old 29-Mar-2013, 6:39 AM   #4
teleview

Contacting the people of the board of the Hoa is not required.

However it is possible get information about the Hoa's position , in a non commit on/of your part/position -->gathering information<-- kind of way.

The Federal Antenna Law protects you and multipul millions of other people.

I used strong words about the information about your rights to install a Tv antenna to make a point.

The point is , you have the right to install a Tv antenna at Best Location to have Reliable Broadcast Tv reception.

And it is true that , Not all Hoa's are over bearing.

Last edited by teleview; 30-Mar-2013 at 7:55 PM.
Old 29-Mar-2013, 6:49 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

The HOA has the burden to prove that an exception to the FCC OTARD rule should be made. You are not obligated to obtain their approval or even notify them of an antenna installation that falls under the protection of the OTARD rules.

Simply read and understand the OTARD rules, then stay within their scope so you have their full protection. If the need arises, invite the HOA to read them themselves.

Often the HOA will try to ignore the difference between a satellite receiving antenna (which the FCC specifies size limits for) and terrestrial TV antennas (which are not limited in size under the OTARD rules).

If they want to play tough, I've always thought it would be fun to offer that I'll forgo an antenna installation IF... they provide a full lineup of TV programing fully equal in quality to that which is available to me over the air... AND, the service would have to include 24-7-365 on-call service in the event an impairment or failure in service occurred... all at no cost to me, in perpetuity, and I would be free to recruit any and all HOA members to use the same service.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Mar-2013, 3:20 PM   #6
carlos28355

haha thank you both for the responses i appreciate it. Can you tell me how the best way to do this is...
Quote:
Aim the ANT751 at about 0 degree magnetic compass direction.
is there a gadget i can use or something lol sorry for the dumb questions. thanks again
Old 29-Mar-2013, 6:33 PM   #7
teleview

The gadget is a - Compass , The Compass is well known.

Every one the planet knows what a compass is.

I am not joking about Tv reception , I am 100% serious.
Old 30-Mar-2013, 2:16 AM   #8
carlos28355

I know what a compass is but i didnt know maybe if it was a different type of compass to use with tv reception or something

what do you mean by this?
Quote:
I am not joking about Tv reception , I am 100% serious.