TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Jan-2010, 6:16 PM   #1
lray882

Recommendations for Antenna

I am located 40 miles SE of Nashville. I am interested in receiving the major channels form Nasville area. My present antenna is not a HD antenna. I cannot receive WTVF and Channnel 17 and sometimes WSMV. Any recommendations for a new oudside HD antenna would be appreciated.
This is my location.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a653bffa0b9855

Thanks in Advance
lray882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jan-2010, 1:31 AM   #2
mtownsend

Hello and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lray882 View Post
My present antenna is not a HD antenna.
Just FYI, there is no special distinction for "HD" antennas. Antennas are the same regardless of the type of signal you are trying to receive (analog, digital, HD, or otherwise). Any claims that an antenna is specially designed for digital or HD reception is pure marketing hogwash. Don't get fooled into believing that you need an "HD" labeled antenna.

Quote:
I cannot receive WTVF and Channnel 17 and sometimes WSMV.
WTVF is broadcasting on channel 5, which is a low-VHF frequency (ch 2-6). WSMV is on channel 10, which is a high VHF frequency (ch 7-13).

VHF signals have long wavelengths and therefore require antennas that have long antenna elements (~2 to 4 feet each) to have any real sensitivity at those frequencies. If your antenna does not include any long antenna elements or has very few of them, then it may have poor performance on VHF channels, and that may explain why these particular channels are not coming in well.

Quote:
Any recommendations for a new oudside HD antenna would be appreciated.
Since you need a full spectrum TV antenna to deal with WTVF on channel 5, an antenna like the Winegard HD7084P, Antennacraft HD1200, or Channel Master 3018 would be about the right size of antenna for your situation.

If you plan on splitting this signal to more than one location, then I'd also recommend adding a pre-amp like the Antennacraft 10G202, Winegard 8275, or Channel Master 7778. A pre-amp mounted near the antenna (usually right on the mast) will prevent signal degradation caused by long cable runs and splitters that come after the amp.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jan-2010, 2:47 PM   #3
lray882

My bad on refering to the antenna as HD. It is a common title to them now. I guess a sales gimmie. Thanks for your suggestions. I will look into them.
lray882 is offline   Reply With Quote