TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Feb-2013, 1:38 PM   #1
darkmatter

Going to an Antenna

Hello all. First off here's my link
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda059be1ef9a

Currently we have Comcast and we are going to cut them some time next week. I have a eve mounted antenna that I got from Radio Shack about 10 years ago model VU90XR. The current antenna is about 25 feet above ground and is higher then the peak of my roof. I few years ago when we had Dish we tried using the antenna for local stations. My wife's favorite station is CW out of Philly. The problem we were having at that time was it would come in for a day or two then it would not. I got something from radio shack that would plug in and put it in behind my entertainment system. It worked for a few days then lost the station again. This kept happening until I had the gain turned all the way up and the station would not come in. I would like to get as many stations as possible. I'm looking for an antenna that does FM, Low VHF, High VHF, and UHF or a combination. I've looked online and talked to different places and of course they all say that there antenna is the best. Some of them were Dennys Hd Stacker the clear stream cv2 and one called the spectrum 6. I've also read somethings on this fourm and found out that the spectrum is chinese junk. The new antenna will be hooked up to 3 Tvs and 1 stereo reciever. My plan is to at least get a new antenna, ground wire, and about 35 feet of rg6 cable going into my house and maybe a distribution amp like the winegard HDA-100.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in advance Rich
darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2013, 4:56 PM   #2
teleview

A Simple reception situation.

Above the high point of the roof in such a manner that the roof and house are not blocking reception to the , south east , north east.

Install a Winegard HD7000R antenna aimed at about 31 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The HD7000R antenna has some forward antenna gain for the Weaker Signal Strength Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels to the , north east.

And being a small directional antenna , it is not all that directional and will also receive the Much Stronger Signal Strength Digital Tv stations/channels to the , south east , due to the fact that directional antennas also receive to a lesser degree to the front angles , back angles and back of a directional tv antenna.

The least amount of reception at a directional Tv antenna is directly on the sides of the antenna.

A preamplifier is not required.

For 1 Tv connection use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

For 3 or 4 Tv's connected use a , Channel Master CM3414 distribution amplifier.

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , if using the tripod antenna mount use the 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , if using the eave antenna mount use the #4560.

http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html.

http://www.ronard.com.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box or buy from ronard.

Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.channelmasterstore.com , http://www.antennacraft.net.

For a FM antenna above the roof , I recommend a Antenna Craft , FMSS , antenna.

The FMSS is omni directional type antenna that will receive the local FM radio stations.

For the best Quality FM and Tv reception , I recommend have a Separate coax for the FMSS Antenna that is not connected to the Digital Tv system coaxes.

The local FM radio stations are strong signal strength , No requirement for a amplifier with the FMSS antenna reception

As Always , trees and tree leaves do a good job of , reflecting , reducing , blocking , digital broadcast Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

It is best to install the antennas at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

Separate the HD7000R antenna and FMSS antenna by about 3 feet on the same mast. The FMSS antenna above the HD7000R antenna.

The Tv's Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv channels , often named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv setup menu and select , 'Air Channels' / 'Antenna Channels'.

Last edited by teleview; 26-Feb-2013 at 5:47 AM.
Old 2-Feb-2013, 8:56 PM   #3
darkmatter

So you dont think that i need one with a longer range like either the HD7084P or the HD8200U?
Old 2-Feb-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
teleview

With the HD7000R aimed as directed , the Current Plus Pending Applications Included Digital Tv stations/channels down the list to and including WLVT-DT UHF Digital channel 39 PBS , in the Green and Yellow reception zones will be received.

If you will like to reach out for more Digital Tv stations/channels , on down the stations/channels list past WLVT.

Then do not install the HD7000R antenna system.

Install a Winegard HD7084P antenna aimed at about 160 degree magnetic compass direction.

Install a Winegard HDP-269 preamp.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the HFS splitters at , http://www.solidsignal.com , or , http://www.hollandelectronics.com.

Because the weaker signal strength WLVT-DT UHF Digital channel 39 PBS , will be at a back angle to the HD7084P antenna.

Will most likely need to adjust the back angle aim of the HD7084P antenna for best reception at a back angle to the antenna.

The HD7084P antenna is a big directional antenna in the forward direction and as such receives very good at the front of the antenna but less at the back angles and back of the antenna then the HD7000R that receives more at back angles and back of the antenna.
_________

Most Digital Tv's have a Signal strength meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality meter.

Last edited by teleview; 26-Feb-2013 at 5:53 AM.
Old 3-Feb-2013, 1:46 PM   #5
darkmatter

Ok thanks I will give it a try.
Old 5-Feb-2013, 5:29 PM   #6
darkmatter

Smile

One more quick question do you think that I would benifit (get more stations) if I add a rotor to the antenna set up.

winegard hd7084p
winegard hdp-269 pre amp
and seperate antennacraft fmss antenna at least 3 feet above other antenna

Thanks again Rich
Old 5-Feb-2013, 7:59 PM   #7
teleview

With the HD7084P antenna installed and aimed at about 162 degree magnetic compass direction.

You are -->Very Close<-- to being -->Maxed Out<- for Digital Tv Stations reception.

As always , Antenna rotators -->Are Not<-->channel surfing friendly , Must Wait for antenna to rotate and there -->Will Be Domestic Situations concerning the direction the antenna is aimed.

There are some -->Very Weak Signal Strength<-- Digital Tv stations channels in the direction of , west / south west , at about 260 degree magnetic compass direction , that the tvfool channel list is showing. And these Digital Tv stations/channels also have , Adjacent Channel Interference and Co-Channel interference issues.

As a -->Test<-- , I recommend turn the HD7084P antenna by hand to the , south west , west direction and scan for Digital Broadcast Tv Channels.

To see what is received.

You will then decide if it is enough reception to install a Completely Separate Antenna System of a Winegard HD7698P antenna and HDP-269 preamp , Separate splitters Separate coax , Separate All the way to each Tv location.

And a Remote control A/B antenna switch will be installed at each Tv location to change antennas.

Remote control A/B antenna switching is , Yes , Channel Surfing Friendly.

Press the button on the hand held remote control , Change Antennas and Keep On Channel Surfing.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com . #32-4425.
Old 5-Feb-2013, 9:35 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

I'm also reluctant to suggest a rotator. Try the antenna system as suggested, there's a reasonable chance that you'll get reception of real CH-9, 46 & 39 through the back of the antenna. If not, you still have the option to turn the antenna northward as a test... then decide if you want to add a second antenna.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
darkmatter

Ok I'm not sure if I want to do 2 antennas. Just not worth the headache. I think I will just do the 1 antenna aimed at about 162 then thanks again.
Old 16-Feb-2013, 6:00 PM   #10
darkmatter

I figured that I would post what I did and my results. First I would like to thank Teleview for all your help.

My equipment

winegard hd7094p
antenna's direct fm 360
winegard hdp-269 preamp
winegard hfs-2d 2 way splitter
used the existing eve mount (just used new wall mounting screws)
new mast pipe, all new copper coaxial, new grounding rod, new copper grounding wire, new tripp lite surge protector, new motorola sb6141 modem

All together spent about $500 but now I get 42-44 tv stations on both televisions. More fm radio stations then I bothered counting. The ones my wife and I like to listen to come in crystal clear. Even the internet seems faster.

Thanks again Rich
Old 16-Feb-2013, 6:53 PM   #11
teleview

Very good , thanks for returning with a report.
Old 18-Feb-2013, 5:41 PM   #12
darkmatter

Ok now I have a quick question about reception. Almost all the stations that I get come without any problems. As stated I have the antenna set to the 162 degree magnetic compass setting. The station I am having problems with is 69-1 on windy days I get the no or weak signal. I was wondering if a distribution amplifier like the winegard hda-100 would help or would it cause me to loose other stations.

Thanks again Rich
Old 18-Feb-2013, 6:02 PM   #13
GroundUrMast

A DA won't break anything, but I doubt you have a signal strength problem.

Your current aim of 162° is ideal for the main group of signals from the SE but leaves you susceptible to multipath interference to the NE group.

As a test, have you aimed the antenna at the WFMZ transmitter (31° compass)? The stronger signals from the SE may still be received well, they're LOS and are no doubt arriving at your antenna in better shape than the signals that had to traverse an edge path.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2013, 6:21 PM   #14
darkmatter

Thats the funny thing is I get other stations from the 31 degree with no problems. WFMZ comes in sometimes and other times I have problems like the other night when it was a bit windy.
Old 18-Feb-2013, 6:30 PM   #15
darkmatter

I haven't tried turning the antenna. The other stations that I get are 39-1 39-2 39-3 39-4 and 60-1
Old 18-Feb-2013, 7:01 PM   #16
teleview

Amplifiers Are Not the automatic answer to all reception situations.

WFMZ-TV REAL UHF digital channel 46 , virtual number (69.1) Independent Tv station.

Along with.

WBPH-TV REAL VHF digital channel 9 , virtual number (60.1) Independent Tv station.

WLVT-DT REAL UHF digital channel 39 , virtual number (39.1) PBS.

Are being received at a back angle to the HD7084P antenna.

This means that the - very directional in the forward direction - HD7084P antenna is not doing all that good of job of receiving the weaker digital Tv transmissions to the north east.

The HD7084P antenna along with other directional antennas receive the best at the front and front angles to the antenna.

The - wind issue - has to do with reflected signals off of the trees (multipath).

Tv transmissions are reflected off of trees , the shifting of the trees in the wind causes shifting multipath.

Digital Broadcast Tv tuners can cope with and correct some multipath in the computer circuits of the tuner.

However , at some point the computer in the tuner will not be able to correct.

The starting aim direction of a antenna is the -->starting aim direction of the antenna.

Try adjusting the aim direction of the antenna so the Tv transmissions are received at a different back or back angle to the HD7084P antenna with out loosing the reception of the Tv stations to the front of the antenna.

And yes you can try a second amplifier , But know this , making the signal stronger will also make the reflected signals stronger.

If the reception situation is not resolvable by HD7084P antenna aim adjustment , then will most likely be required to install a second antenna system that Is Not connected to the to the first antenna system.

That is aimed at the Tv transmitters to the , north east.

WFMZ. , WBPH. , WLVT.

If that is what it comes to , then I recommend a Winegard HD7696P antenna with No preamplifier aimed at about 32 degree magnetic compass direction.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a simple common 3 way splitter.

The 2 antenna systems Will Be Separate all the way to the Tv locations where a Remote control A/B antenna switch will be connected.

A/B antenna switching Is Channel Surfing Friendly , press the button on the hand held remote control , Change Antennas and Keep On Channel Surfing.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com. #32-4425.

Last edited by teleview; 26-Feb-2013 at 6:05 AM.
Old 19-Feb-2013, 6:58 PM   #17
teleview

Aiming the HD7084P antenna at the , north east group of Tv stations will improve the reception of the north east group of Tv stations , and , the stronger Tv stations to the south east will also be received.

Some weaker ones to the , south east , may be lost.

It is a Test.

Last edited by teleview; 20-Feb-2013 at 9:40 PM.
Old 19-Feb-2013, 8:40 PM   #18
darkmatter

Ok I tried adjusting the antenna some yesterday channel 69 seems to be comming in a bit better started to have a little pixelation on channel 17. I ordered a longer piece of coaxial so I can try raising it a little higher. Also ordered the winegard hda-100 ampilfier to give it a try. If it helps then great if not oh well guess I'm out about $40 then. I will post my results after I get done dialing everything in.
Old 25-Feb-2013, 11:08 PM   #19
darkmatter

I raised the antenna by about 3 feet and tried the winegard hda-100 distribution amp with no improvement. I reposition the antenna to try to get Wfmz 69 in better. Wfmz 69 then came in great but then I had lost a few other stations. Also had problems with another of our favorite stations Cw 57. So I put the antenna back to 161 degrees so I would get all the stations that I orginally had. Wfmz 69 comes and goes with some pixalation. Unless I put up another seperate antenna like Teleview recomended to get Wfmz 69 and a few more stations. Thanks to everyone for all your help. Teleview all your information was right on and very helpful. Thanks again Rich
Old 26-Feb-2013, 6:20 AM   #20
teleview

Yes installing a second Separate antenna system seems like a lot of effort and expense , And Yes it is.

However , after installed , it is easy to change antennas by pressing the button on the hand held remote control or the remote control A/B antenna switch.

And think about this , how much is the ongoing cost of cable Tv or satellite Tv??

At $100.00 dollars a month , that is $1,200.00 dollars a year.

How much for 5 years??

How much for 10 years?? Is it $12,000.00 dollars.