Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Jul-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
tele

antenna recommendation

Hi,

Looking for an antenna recommendation?
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...05599c9575da9d

There is an existing antenna on the roof. It does not provide signal better than an indoor TERK antenna (from Radio Shack) .

Its an old house, so is there something wrong with the coax wiring? It appears to run through the attic and then down to the living room behind the wall.

Is there a way to test signal strength of coax (ie a multimeter..) ?
(I dont mind changing the antenna, but changing the wiring would be difficult.) How should I proceed?

best
tele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jul-2013, 5:07 PM   #2
elmo

Any idea what the antenna is? A photo would be good to help id it.

We can't dx your coax condition. Old coax *could be* a problem if moisture gets in. The best way to test is to run a fresh feed down to a tuner, just a test line would do. Another option is to put the Terk on the roof and connect it, since you say it works inside. Just as a test - not to be left there of course. If the reception is the same, then the coax is good, and the outdoor antenna has an issue. Your TV probably has a signal meter in the diagnostic menus.

Given that, it seems to me that any UHF/VHF antenna on the roof in decent shape would easily pick up lots if it's pointed in a SE direction.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jul-2013, 7:15 PM   #3
teleview

Photos of the outside antenna will help , a picture of the complete antenna and 'connection area' of the antenna.

What antenna looks the most like your outside antenna. http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Is your outside antenna broken??
Old 13-Jul-2013, 2:24 AM   #4
teleview

If I were to recommend a New antenna , I would recommend a Antenna Craft HD850 All channel antenna installed above the Peak Of The Roof in such a manner that the roof and house are not impeding and blocking reception in the direction of , South/South East.

Aim the HD850 antenna at about 160 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Connect a NEW Continues Length Of Coax to the New HD850 antenna.

Run the NEW Continues Length Of Coax through a open door or window direct to and connect to 1 Tv.

Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels.

Having received the - Many - Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels.

You now have antenna and coax that can be used as a Test signal.

Disconnect the NEW coax from the Tv and use the New continues length of coax to test coaxes that are in/on the house.

A New coax is connected to the Tv and connected to coaxes in/on the house.

Also the coax that is in/on the house can be -->bypassed not used.

Run a New length of coax from the antenna , on the outside wall of the house , go through the wall of the house with the coax , to the Tv.

Or run the New coax from the HD850 antenna some other way to get to the Tv.
Old 13-Jul-2013, 7:13 PM   #5
tele

here is the picture.

Hi,
(first many thanks!)
Ive attached an image of the roof antenna.

Basically just want to watch channels 2 through 20, without alot of headache.

Again thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1373740181041.jpg (8.6 KB, 493 views)
Old 13-Jul-2013, 7:41 PM   #6
tele

er- (..funny, never really looked at the antenna until taking a picture of it)...
Are one of the elements (3rd of 4) bent upwards?

Also, am curious, do newer antennas have improved design? I am guessing the pictured antenna is 20yrs+. However, I've found "heavy-duty" aint what she used to be. If there's any improvement, its in the manufacturing ingenuity to build such shoddy crap that still somehow works long enough to leave the store shelf.

Anyhow, is the antenna damaged? Should I just try bending it straight?
Old 13-Jul-2013, 8:43 PM   #7
teleview

Looks like some metal reception elements are bent and will break off as time goes by.

To avoid problems with reception.

I recommend replace the old antenna with HD850 antenna.

When installing the HD850 antenna on the mast pipe.

Is OK to install the HD850 lower on the mast pipe.

Lower means at about the same height as your head , as your are standing on the roof. This makes it easy to install the antenna.
____

-->No Requirement<-- to put the antenna up higher and higher , so that the antenna is on the edge of your finger tips and your standing on your toes reaching up high , trying to get that last inch of antenna height , No Requirement.

_________

To keep Weather/Water out of outside connections and coax.

Use NEW coax.

Use the coax that has the Compression type of connectors on the ends of the coax , not the old crimp type of connectors.

Replace other connectors that have been exposed to weather.

To make double sure that Weather/Water does not get into outside connections , connectors , coax , wrap with http://www.coaxseal.com.

Also Completely wrap the matching transformer (balun) with coax seal.

The information I am providing is doing the antenna installation the easy way to have a successful installation and reception.

Last edited by teleview; 14-Jul-2013 at 3:46 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.