TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Special Forums > TV Fool Discussion / Database Updates > TV Database Updates

Notices

Old 1-Sep-2011, 6:04 PM   #1
michelstlouis

CIVM-DT (Digital) in Montreal, QC, Canada

On the map it show that the antenna is on the top of the station but apparently it is now emitting from the top of Mount-Royal, is there a way to confirm this info ? and if it is true, is there a way to update the database ?
michelstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Sep-2011, 4:43 PM   #2
ve2dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelstlouis View Post
On the map it show that the antenna is on the top of the station but apparently it is now emitting from the top of Mount-Royal, is there a way to confirm this info ? and if it is true, is there a way to update the database ?
I doubt it. I'm about 25km from the Mount-Royal site and it's pretty weak which would be normal if it is still at the station because I would be shadowed by Mount-Royal.
ve2dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
michelstlouis

I think it is true

I have a very directional antenna (XG91) and I do not need to rotate the antenna when I want to watch Tele quebec switching from SRCSo I think it is emitting from MR. Last spring I had to rotate the antenna from ouest to east to do the same thing.
michelstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2011, 1:16 PM   #4
ve2dc

Based on the signal here near Beauharnois they are either at the East End location or running lower than normal power. The Analog signal on 17 was very much stronger. I suspect it will take a few weeks before everything is organized with the various stations. There are just so many RF engineers around and everybody had to cut over at the same time... a logistical nightmare ;-) You could always send an e-mail inquiry to the station...

BTW, do you know what has happened with CFJP (35). I could never receive them on 42 because of the location and low power but they should be solid here on 35 with their published 825KW ERP

Last edited by ve2dc; 6-Sep-2011 at 1:21 PM.
Old 6-Sep-2011, 5:27 PM   #5
tvlurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve2dc View Post
Based on the signal here near Beauharnois they are either at the East End location or running lower than normal power.
Neither V nor TQ will be returning to the Mount Royal candelabra.
TQ has changed frequency from 27 to 26, and is supposed to increase power to the 250kW range, but will still be broadcasting from the top of the Olympic Tower. The tower is the same elevation as the peak of Mount Royal, so those close to the western slopes of Mount Royal may have trouble with it. Those further west may have better luck.

Quote:
BTW, do you know what has happened with CFJP (35). I could never receive them on 42 because of the location and low power but they should be solid here on 35 with their published 825KW ERP
825 kW was a a maximuam allotment from the top of Mount Royal. It is not what V applied for. (In fact, none of the 845kW or 1MW allotments were ever applied applied for. I suspect that this is because those powers either exceeded the previous analog coverage, or they exceeded Industry Canada's maximum contour limit, which I 100km for primary assignments.)
From http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...E/bpr10-i1.pdf Para B-1.6 on page 4.
Quote:
The protected area is determined using the methodology outlined in Appendix 4. It is limited to a distance of 100 km for primary assignments or 20 km for secondary assignments.
V has reverted to channel 35 from the same antenna atop an apartment building in the east end that they used for the pre-transition on channel 42. If you didn't get 42 digital, it is highly unlikley you will get 35 digital.

Last edited by tvlurker; 6-Sep-2011 at 5:32 PM.
tvlurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
ve2dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlurker View Post
Neither V nor TQ will be returning to the Mount Royal candelabra.
OK that explains it. I am right in the "purple wedge" to the east of Mount Royal for both of them. I receive 17, but with occasional drop-outs, but I am using a UHF antenna pointed at Mount Mansfield, VT. I never needed a separate antenna for locals before... perhaps that has changed. Thanks for the info...