TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Jul-2012, 1:15 AM   #61
teleview

Tv Reception.

If it is DX that you are after , the Winegard HD7082P and HD7084P make great DX antennas.

They are great for putting on a antenna rotator to zero in on those loooong distance Tv stations.

Last edited by teleview; 23-Jul-2012 at 4:50 AM.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 3:50 AM   #62
energyzer

This over the air stuff is awesome! It is so cool because, especially at night, you never know where your going to pull a station from. I'm pulling two stations out of Omaha, 150 miles away with 33% and 35% signal. The other night I pulled out of South Dakota, and tonight, authough week, and unwatchable, I'm pulling from Des Moines, Ia...KSDM. I'm sending the DB4e back. I'm getting everything I want and more with my C5. FYI, my C5 is pointed at about 245-250*.
energyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jul-2012, 3:54 AM   #63
energyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The earth is round... not flat. Anyone claiming an antenna can reliably receive signal from 100 miles away should be treated with extreme skepticism. At best, they're ignorant of the physics involved. Worst case, they're dishonest scammers.
I know your right, but it is just funny how they get away with it. As I'm sitting here reading this very forum, I noticed an ad on the right hand edge for Antennadeals.com, advertising a 150 mile outdoor antenna.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 4:34 AM   #64
GroundUrMast

My understanding (not first hand, I'm an unpaid volunteer) is that a third party service 'pushes' those ads... Our other alternative is to fund TV Fool by paying for it's use.

Given that the technical information provided in the TV Fool report would have required the services of an engineering firm just a few years ago, at the cost of hundreds or even thousands of dollars for billed hours, I'm able to 'tune out' the ads.

On the other hand, there are days when you should be paid to take my advise...
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jul-2012, 5:22 AM   #65
teleview

Tv Reception.

Several years ago when I was ' in to ' DX , I was living in South Western Kansas , I often watched 2 California Tv stations for several hours at a time.

Oklahoma , Texas , Nebraska , Colorado .

Tv DX signals can be received for a second or even hours at a time.

Out past a target figure of say 80 miles , - Reliable - Broadcast Tv Reception has less to do with the antenna and more to do with the lay of the land.

As examples but not the only examples , the transmitting antenna is up alot higher then the receiving antenna , or the receiving antenna is up alot higher then the transmitting antenna.

Weather and atmospheric conditions are a big part of DX.

The internet is a good place to find DX'ers and all about how to get the DX reception.

Hard core DX'ers are into getting the impossible to get reception and proudly display the ' screen shots ' to prove it.

Last edited by teleview; 24-Jul-2012 at 7:19 AM.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 5:32 AM   #66
teleview

Tv Reception.

The antenna scammers make their money buy selling antennas to the many people that fall for the idea that they will receive signals from Mars and beyond for $39.95.

If the Tv antenna looks like a futuristic Tv antenna in a grade B 1950's Si Fi movie , well that is the clue that it is a scam antenna.

Many people are Buzz Word oriented , HD this , and HD that , and HD something else , and etc.

The promise of the , -->All Important HD<-- , with no thought or facts to back it up , is all it takes to get their credit card out.

Last edited by teleview; 24-Jul-2012 at 7:24 AM.
Old 24-Jul-2012, 6:22 AM   #67
energyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
Several years ago when I was ' in to ' DX , I was living in South Western Kansas , I often watched 2 California Tv stations for several hours at a time.

Oklahoma , Texas , Nebraska , Colorado .

Tv DX signals can be received for a second or even hours at a time.

Out past a target figure of say 80 miles , - Reliable - Broadcast Tv Reception has less to do with the antenna and more to do with the lay of the land.

As examples but not the only examples , the transmitting antenna is up alot higher then the receiving antenna , or the receiving antenna is up alot higher ten the transmitting antenna.

Weather and atmospheric conditions are a big part of DX.

The internet is a good place to find DX'ers and all about how to get the DX reception.

Hard core DX'ers are into getting the impossible to get reception and proudly display the ' screen shots ' to prove it.
What kind of equipment were you using at the time? Do you have to put a lot of special equipment into play to do DXing? Would the c5 be any good for thid if it were on a rotator?
Old 24-Jul-2012, 7:11 AM   #68
teleview

Tv Reception.

Hobby DXing the type and kind that most people do does not require much money , a All channel fringe antenna a antenna rotator.

A Winegard HD7082P or HD7084P or CM3679 antenna.

The channel Master antenna rotator CM9521A.

Atmospheric conditions and day or night conditions and seasons of year and more all play a part in DX.

I used a CM3679 for some of my Dxing.

Yes the C5 can work well for casual Dxing.

Go antennadirect.com and look at the reception pattern of the C5.

The thing about casual DXing is that when the signal is in --> it is in , and usually strong.

A low gain preamp such as CPA-19 can be used to keep the signal strength form going to low when the signal strength is going up and down like roller coaster.

Then there are the hard core Dxers over time they have put big dollars in to their elaborate systems and antennas , they are after the signals that are impossible to get.

Last edited by teleview; 24-Jul-2012 at 7:32 AM.
Old 20-Aug-2012, 3:36 AM   #69
energyzer

Well, now this is strange. I finally got my tower put up, and my C5 mounted......not fine tuned yet, but pointed in the general direction....about 245-250ish... Antenna is about 27' up. There are a few stations with a high signal strength, 63%, and I'm getting that "digital" blip on my screen, as if my signal is low, but it isn't. These stations was solid at much lower signals a few weeks ago when my antenna was mounted at about 15-20'. Thoughts?
Old 20-Aug-2012, 4:02 PM   #70
teleview

Tv Reception.

As always , trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of , reflecting , reducing , blocking Tv reception , and so do buildings and other objects and other obstructions.

It is best to locate a Tv antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions in the directions of reception.