TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Aug-2013, 6:56 PM   #1
jcman01

Reception in Wash, DC Area

I live about 17 miles west of DC. I know most towers are in NW DC. I used to get WETA (channel 26) and WMPT (channel 22) without too much trouble. But lately, reception has been getting worse, to the point where I really don't get any at all.

I receive channel 4 and 5 just fine, but channels beyond that are iffy.

Could this be symptomatic of an amplifier going bad? I have adjusted the gain all the way up and down, to no effect.

Do I have the wrong type of antenna? I think it is non-directional, but I am not an expert. Per the 1st photo, the downlead comes down to a cheapo Radio Shack amp that I have mounted under the eave to keep weather out of it. My houses north, so as you can see, the antenna is oriented about 70 degrees compass.

Here is my location:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aec1a3d1ef3d

[IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited by jcman01; 13-Aug-2013 at 7:21 PM.
jcman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Aug-2013, 7:47 PM   #2
No static at all

Unfortunately the antenna choice is not ideal, but may work if only DC stations are needed. Did 7 & 9 ever come in well?

The biggest issue though is likely the amp overloading from channel 24 in Merrifield. (Ouch) Have you ever tried completely bypassing the amp & connect the antenna directly to 1 TV?

Reliable reception of both DC & Baltimore are possible at your location if desired, but not sure if Baltimore is on your must have list?

Let us know your thoughts.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Aug-2013, 7:59 PM   #3
jcman01

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
The biggest issue though is likely the amp overloading from channel 24 in Merrifield. (Ouch) Have you ever tried completely bypassing the amp & connect the antenna directly to 1 TV?
Let us know your thoughts.

Climbing up on a ladder and bypassing it is a big problematic for my physically and logistically. The amp is two parts - one interior control unit (below), and something that the downlead connects to outside. As I said, I am not real conversant in the technology.

Is it enough to bypass it at the control unit shown, or do I also have to disconnect it at the downlead outside?

I can live without the Baltimore stations.

Thanks for looking at it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 13-Aug-2013, 8:02 PM   #4
jcman01

Climbing up on a ladder and bypassing it is a big problematic for my physically and logistically. The amp is two parts - one interior control unit (below), and something that the downlead connects to outside. As I said, I am not real conversant in the technology.

Is it enough to bypass it at the control unit shown, or do I also have to disconnect it at the downlead outside?

I can live without the Baltimore stations.

Thanks for looking at it.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 13-Aug-2013, 9:06 PM   #5
teleview

-->YES you ave a Excelent reception location.<--

So what is the make and model number of the antenna.

It looks like a Channel Master CM4228HD UHF/VHF antenna that is desinged to receive UHF channels 14 thru 51 and VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

YES you have a Excelent reception location.

The transmission/reception in the Green and Yellow reception zones are Strong Signal Strength and are easy to receive.

The reception of the VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 will be received even with a antenna that is designed for UHF reception , Reason: the Tv transmissions are Very Strong at your location.

Examples ,
WJLA VHF high band channel 7.
WUSA VHFhigh band channel 9.

Aim the antenna at about 65 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Water damage of outside connections and coax is the most likely cause of reception that gets less and less as time goes by.

As a ->Test<- to prove reception.

Disconnect and remove ALL parts of amplifier , disconnect and remove the amplifier unit , disconnect and remove the power injector , disconnect and remove the power supply.

Connect a ->NEW<- continues length of coax that has the compression type connectors on the ends of the coax , not the old crimp type connectors.

Run the NEW continues length of coax through a open door or window direct to 1 Tv.

No couplers , No splitters , No ground couples , No nothing.

It is the , Antenna , the NEW coax , the Tv.

Digital tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.
Do Double Rescan , http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html.

If reception still has problems , then the connection , transformer/balun , of the antenna can be bad from water damage.

->ALL<-> outside connections are suspect of being bad.

And All other connections and coax is/are suspect of being bad through out the whole system , both inside and outside of the building.

Water will get into coax and damage the coax.
Old 13-Aug-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Just to pile on a bit...

The strong local signals should be powerful enough to drive several TVs without any amplifier... You need to remove all parts of it to confirm the basic function of the antenna.

As teleview has suggested, the best way to test the antenna, is to run a known good cable from the antenna, directly to a known good TV.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Aug-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
No static at all

That particular type of amplifier is creating most if not all of your issues & must be completely removed. If you can't find someone to disconnect the outside portion, I can do it for you if you have a ladder that will reach high enough. Just a hobby here, so I don't expect any compensation.
Old 14-Aug-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
jcman01

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
That particular type of amplifier is creating most if not all of your issues & must be completely removed. If you can't find someone to disconnect the outside portion, I can do it for you if you have a ladder that will reach high enough. Just a hobby here, so I don't expect any compensation.
I appreciate that, but I can bite the bullet and borrow a ladder from my neighbor. To bypass the amp, can I connect the two cables to something like this:

Old 14-Aug-2013, 1:07 PM   #9
jcman01

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
-->YES you ave a Excelent reception location.<--

So what is the make and model number of the antenna.

It looks like a Channel Master CM4228HD UHF/VHF antenna that is desinged to receive UHF channels 14 thru 51 and VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

YES you have a Excelent reception location.

The transmission/reception in the Green and Yellow reception zones are Strong Signal Strength and are easy to receive.

The reception of the VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 will be received even with a antenna that is designed for UHF reception , Reason: the Tv transmissions are Very Strong at your location.

Examples ,
WJLA VHF high band channel 7.
WUSA VHFhigh band channel 9.

Aim the antenna at about 65 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Water damage of outside connections and coax is the most likely cause of reception that gets less and less as time goes by.

As a ->Test<- to prove reception.

Disconnect and remove ALL parts of amplifier , disconnect and remove the amplifier unit , disconnect and remove the power injector , disconnect and remove the power supply.

Connect a ->NEW<- continues length of coax that has the compression type connectors on the ends of the coax , not the old crimp type connectors.

Run the NEW continues length of coax through a open door or window direct to 1 Tv.

No couplers , No splitters , No ground couples , No nothing.

It is the , Antenna , the NEW coax , the Tv.

Digital tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.
Do Double Rescan , http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html.

If reception still has problems , then the connection , transformer/balun , of the antenna can be bad from water damage.

->ALL<-> outside connections are suspect of being bad.

And All other connections and coax is/are suspect of being bad through out the whole system , both inside and outside of the building.

Water will get into coax and damage the coax.
Thanks for the troubleshooting procedure. It is an AntennasDirect DB8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 14-Aug-2013, 3:28 PM   #10
jcman01

Can I get away with bypassing the amp by using one of these? Otherwise, it will be quite a task to drop the mast and run a new coax.

Last edited by jcman01; 14-Aug-2013 at 3:47 PM.
Old 14-Aug-2013, 3:45 PM   #11
No static at all

Yes, that will work fine.
Old 14-Aug-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
teleview

The idea is eliminate any and all hardware and connections and devices that can cause trouble.

To prove reception.

The idea is to prove reception.