TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-May-2010, 4:16 AM   #1
Russ2210

Attic Install in Houston

Hi:

Hoping anyone can help ~

I live about 22 miles east of the antenna farm in Houston, Texas and want to do an antenna install in my attic over my garage (homeowner rules discourage the use of visible outdoor antenna's). The direct LOS from the attic to the antennas is pointed toward the roof vent in my attic, so the signal will not have to go through any of the roofing materials, just through the vinyl siding on the west side of the house.

Here are my signal analysis results:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd724d9c17b8c1

I have been looking at the Winegard HD7696P and possibly a preamp to go with it. I am not sure if this antenna is a good choice or maybe even one of the other Winegard HD769xP series antennas. I am also open to separate VHF and UHF antennas and using a combiner if that would get me a better signal.

My space is of course limited since the antenna will be installed in the attic. I have an area about 10 feet long by 12 feet wide to work with, but because if the rafters I only have about 5 feet of usable width if I mount the antenna 3 feet off of the floor.

I currently will only hook-up one TV to the antenna, but plan on adding 1 or 2 more TV's in the future.

Any advice and help selecting an antenna would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Russ
Russ2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2010, 6:17 AM   #2
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

HOA's can discourage all they like. The FCC over ruled all hoa's and housing covenets. The FCC made it 100% clear that Yes you can put a antenna on your roof. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html . . .This has been tested several times in court and the hoa's and housing covenets have lost in court several times. What I find interesting is the Hatred of Tv antennas or any other antennas. The truth is , Antenna Haters are Mentaly Ill. They hide behind rules and regulations so as to hide their Mental Illness.

Last edited by teleview; 14-May-2010 at 6:01 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 11-May-2010, 9:02 AM   #3
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Well that said. The signals are VERY STRONG at your location. I would get a very simple rods and loop indoor antenna, sometimes called rabbit ears antenna. The Phillips SDV5119/27 indoor antenna that Walmart sells will do fine. Go around connecting it to the Tv's in the house , as a test. If the house has vinyl siding and nothing to obstruct the television signals , then the digital television channels from the antenna farm will be just fine.http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233

Last edited by teleview; 11-May-2010 at 9:12 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 11-May-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Russ2210

Thanks for the reply teleview. I currently am using rabbit ears and am getting fair reception. I would like to go with an attic installation so I don't have the ugly indoor antenna sitting on top of my entertainment system. I think since my signal from the antenna farm is so good that an attic install would be great. Plus, running the cable would be a piece of cake.
Russ2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
You need a proper roof-mounted antenna: The HD-7696P is a very good choice: it will allow you to power two TV sets without using a preamplifier: you will just need a simple splitter. Aim the antenna at roughly 265 degrees for your best reception, as measured by your compass.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2010, 8:38 PM   #6
LovesTheOTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
HOA's can discourage all they like. The FCC over ruled all hoa's and housing covenets. The FCC made it 100% clear that Yes you can put a antenna on your roof. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html . . .This has been tested several times in court and the hoa's and housing covenets have lost in court several times. What I find interesting is the Hatred of Tv antennas or any other antennas. The truth is these people are Mentaly Ill. They hide behind rules and regulations so as to hide their Mental Illness.
Preach on brother. Can I get an AMEN?
LovesTheOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
kb2fzq

That's a pretty hot TVF report you have there, tons of stations....
Even tho Teleview is right, you have the right to put up an outside antenna, I can kind of see your point, not stirring the pot and putting in an attic install, especially since the transmitters are so close.
At 22 miles out, I would use a standard combo VHF-hi/UHF antenna in the attic, the HD-7696P may even work if you're pointing in a vent to vent direction. Care should be taken trying to receive signals thru a metal attic vent, tho....if that's the case in your attic....
I would wait and see before adding a pre-amp, but with multiple TV's, it may be necessary.
I use an HD-9022 UHF antenna from Winegard, and I am quite pleased with Winegard's antenna performance.
That would be my plan...

Last edited by kb2fzq; 12-May-2010 at 12:06 PM.
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-May-2010, 6:05 AM   #8
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Tv antennas are not ugly. Tv antennas are nice looking , I like them a lot.