TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception > Connecting with an Installer

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21-Dec-2010, 6:25 AM   #1
ltlredwagon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1
Installation in Pasadena, CA

Would appreciate recommendations for outdoor antenna installer in the Pasadena, CA area.
ltlredwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2011, 4:34 AM   #2
John Candle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,697
Find a Tv antenna installer

This contact information is for ANY ONE that is looking for a Tv antenna installer. . In the google search box type in ---> structured wiring 'your city and state'. . If your small city does not have a listing , select a Large city near you. . As an example this is what it will look like. --> structured wiring oklahoma city oklahoma. . Also can go to this web site --> zipinstalation.com

Last edited by John Candle; 5-Feb-2011 at 4:36 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
ant
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 83
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
This contact information is for ANY ONE that is looking for a Tv antenna installer. . In the google search box type in ---> structured wiring 'your city and state'. . If your small city does not have a listing , select a Large city near you. . As an example this is what it will look like. --> structured wiring oklahoma city oklahoma. . Also can go to this web site --> zipinstalation.com
zipinstalation.com did not work.
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
psa64
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 21
URL = http://www.zipinstallation.com/

There is a company at this Web site that describes its business as chiefly installation of electronic equipment purchased via retailers but requiring professional installation. Minimal Yelp and no Angie's List for the San Diego operation...and Web-based service request feature didn't work for me. I've now sent them an e-mail at (edited) e-mail address I found at http://sandiego.zipinstallation.com/, purportedly one of about 20 partnership "branches" around the country. We'll see what happens. My attempts to use Service Magic and other search engines have not been productive.
psa64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 2:17 PM   #5
signals unlimited
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south-central PA.
Posts: 453
The problem is that proper antenna installations is a very specialized trade only understood by a very small group of professionals left over from the TV "hay days". After being burried by cable, and ageing there are very few left to meet the growing needs of the growing demographic that have discovered the amazing benefits of FREE OTA. I feel that there is a great opertunity for some of the leftover professionals to create a training program to educate and teach the younger generations this amazing and growing trade. I am 65 years old and am installing up to three complete installations per week and servicing all of the old systems that I can. I would like to here from any antenna professionals that would like to brainstorm on how to move this trade into the mainstream and attract new installers to meet the needs of viewers. This is also the answer to protecting our valuable spectrum. "USE IT OR LOOSE IT".
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 2:25 PM   #6
ant
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
The problem is that proper antenna installations is a very specialized trade only understood by a very small group of professionals left over from the TV "hay days". After being burried by cable, and ageing there are very few left to meet the growing needs of the growing demographic that have discovered the amazing benefits of FREE OTA. I feel that there is a great opertunity for some of the leftover professionals to create a training program to educate and teach the younger generations this amazing and growing trade. I am 65 years old and am installing up to three complete installations per week and servicing all of the old systems that I can. I would like to here from any antenna professionals that would like to brainstorm on how to move this trade into the mainstream and attract new installers to meet the needs of viewers. This is also the answer to protecting our valuable spectrum. "USE IT OR LOOSE IT".
Have you trained any young people?
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 2:31 PM   #7
signals unlimited
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south-central PA.
Posts: 453
I am looking.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 3:36 PM   #8
psa64
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 21
Lack of savvy installers

Let me echo Signals Unlimited (and also ask a moderator to consider a new thread, perhaps entitled "Future of OTA antenna installation profession." I've interviewed about a half dozen would-be installers in the San Diego area. None knew of tvfool.com nor showed much interest in my (admittedly amateur) attempts to convey points I've picked up from this Web resource. The one fellow with whom I spoke did have some knowledge of longer distance TV propagation but said, at his age and given the lack of a market, that he didn't do antenna installations anymore.
psa64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 3:45 PM   #9
ant
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 83
Signal Unlimited and PSA64: That sucks. We need to bring those OTA antenna experts back!

Since you guys are savy LA area installers and I am not, have you guys (did not see your posts in it) seen my current OTA issue in my old http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?p=23351 forum thread? My folks and I are about to order expensive Time Warner Cable (TWC) since we're not getting all the OTA channels due its blockage location. Any other suggestions and possibly work for you would be grateful.

Last edited by ant; 13-May-2012 at 3:47 PM.
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 4:03 PM   #10
psa64
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 21
I'm just a lowly junior member...

Hi ant:

For the record, I'm NOT an installer, just a wannabe viewer of more LA stations. Otherwise I'd be able to solve my own San Diego reception problems. I certainly agree with you, i.e., "We need to bring those OTA antenna experts back!"
psa64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 4:21 PM   #11
ant
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by psa64 View Post
Hi ant:

For the record, I'm NOT an installer, just a wannabe viewer of more LA stations. Otherwise I'd be able to solve my own San Diego reception problems. I certainly agree with you, i.e., "We need to bring those OTA antenna experts back!"
Ah OK, so basically like me.
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 5:10 PM   #12
signals unlimited
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south-central PA.
Posts: 453
The first thing a good installer must understand is that we can't make signal. We can only process what is there. Chasing a channel is usually not profitable for the installer, and sets up the viewer for dissapointing results. In my installations I thoroughly site check at the installation height, sweep 360 degrees, measure and show all available channels, then install. If there is a reasonable chance of receiving a problematic desired channel I will give it a try, however for me I have adapted a 90/90 rule. 90% of the channels 90% of the time. Makes good business sense and makes most customers very happy.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 5:15 PM   #13
ant
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 83
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
The first thing a good installer must understand is that we can't make signal. We can only process what is there. Chasing a channel is usually not profitable for the installer, and sets up the viewer for dissapointing results. In my installations I thoroughly site check at the installation height, sweep 360 degrees, measure and show all available channels, then install. If there is a reasonable chance of receiving a problematic desired channel I will give it a try, however for me I have adapted a 90/90 rule. 90% of the channels 90% of the time. Makes good business sense and makes most customers very happy.
Do you think mine is 90% (for the channels my parents and I want) as shown in http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?p=23351 and worth trying with a professional guy?
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 5:45 PM   #14
signals unlimited
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south-central PA.
Posts: 453
With all of the things that you have tried and a lot of expert advice that you have had, I am tempted to say that you may not be in my 90/90, rather the 10/10 catagory. Anyway I understand your desire to receive a channel of very special interest. If could help you out, I would.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 5:48 PM   #15
ant
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
With all of the things that you have tried and a lot of expert advice that you have had, I am tempted to say that you may not be in my 90/90, rather the 10/10 catagory. Anyway I understand your desire to receive a channel of very special interest. If could help you out, I would.
Thanks.

Last edited by ant; 20-May-2012 at 3:33 AM.
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception > Connecting with an Installer


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 7:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © TV Fool, LLC