TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Feb-2014, 4:25 AM   #1
sknk

Antenna Help/Recommendation-Redmond, WA

Here's my TV signal analysis results:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94f96ff34b61

Installation location: Attic (Education hill area, right next to Rt 202 and 116th, Redmond, WA) Attic is about 30ft above the ground level facing Sammamish River valley

1. Question: Does this antenna work to pick up NBC/CBS/Fox (only HD channels)?
http://goo.gl/bdx98D (Channel Master 4228HD)

I peeked into my 3rd floor attic and looks kind of cramped.

2. Any other antenna recommendation?
3. Do I need a preamp? If yes, what do you recommend.

Thank you very much
sknk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Feb-2014, 6:00 AM   #2
teleview

+=>
----
Above the Peak of the Roof install the CM4228HD antenna aimed at about 190 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.keys.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

----------

Install a , www.channelmasterstore.com , CM7778 preamplifier.

------------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-4D , 4 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D , HFS-3D , HFS-4D , splitters at , www.hollandelectronics.com , or , www.amazon.com .

--------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.ronard.com , or , www.amazon.com .

------------

www.channelmasterstore.com

www.amazon.com

www.ronard.com

www.hollandelectronics.com

-----------

As always , tree and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice is to install the CM4228HD antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception.

The directions of reception at your location are , South West , South , South East.
Old 12-Feb-2014, 7:04 AM   #3
StephanieS

Hello sknk,

The short answer to your question about the CM4228HD is yes for KING NBC and KIRO CBS and no for KCPQ 13. The CM4228HD is a UHF design. That works great for the majority of your channels. However KCTS 9, KSTW 11 and KCPQ 13 are all high-VHF signals. Especially in an attic situation, you need an antenna that is designed to receive these signals.

I'm sure you've read about attic installations on this forum. They aren't ideal and can be more hassle than they are worth. Especially in your situation you have 1 and 2 edge signal obstructions to your roof. Adding your roof to it, you have 2 and 3 edge obstructions.

With the attic also, be prepared for potentially unreliable reception. Antennas in attics are subject to household electronic interference and multipath issues due to the signals passing through solid matter.

That said, keep your CM4228. Orientate it in your attic to magnetic heading 227. Add a second antenna if you have the space, a Antennacraft Y5-7-13. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=716079000987. Orientate Y5-7-13 to magnetic heading 227 as well.

Order a signal combiner. The Antennas Direct EU385CF is a quality performer. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=853748001705. Input 4228 coax into UHF input, take Y5-7-13 coax and run it into the VHF input. Run single output coax down.

Preamps can be a mixed bag in attics. If the signal arriving at the antenna is bouncing around and drop outs occur because of it, a preamp won't fix it. Reliable reception is best when there is no obstructions between antenna and transmitter.

You didn't mention how many TVs you want to service.

Doing two antennas one dedicated to UHF and one to high-VHF will be your best chance within the attic for reliable reception of the majority of Seattle area signals.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Feb-2014, 5:55 PM   #4
sknk

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you very much for the reply.

> That said, keep your CM4228.

I currently don't have any antenna. Given this is there a single antenna that works best in my situation ie has both VHF and UHF elements?

Thanks!
sknk is offline   Reply With Quote