TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Jul-2012, 4:46 PM   #1
mulliganman

need help in Ozark, MO

Am completely a newbie when it come to trying to pick up my local channels in HD via an antenna (my HDTV is located in my basement). Considering cutting satellite if I can pick up channels with little noticeable difference.

Here are my results from the homepage: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...990052e12b8ceb

At the very least, I would like to be able to pick up clearly the network stations (Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC) and was considering a TIVO service as well. Can someone please provide suggestions as to antenna, etc.? Will a good indoor antenna do the trick? I had looked at this one: http://store.gomohu.com/the-leaf-plu...v-antenna.html

I will appreciate any suggestions but please keep in my I would like the option of returning the antenna if things don't work out. Thanks.

Last edited by mulliganman; 24-Jul-2012 at 5:18 PM.
mulliganman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jul-2012, 5:45 PM   #2
mulliganman

Here is some additional information if it helps: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90

Not exactly sure what it means, but when I click on "bluish" dot for Fox several are listed like KRBK-1, KRBK-2 all the way to KRBK-5. KRBK-3 seems to be closest to me but I don't understand what all those differences mean and how it would affect antenna choice and setup.
Old 24-Jul-2012, 6:15 PM   #3
signals unlimited

The leaf will get you little or no reception.

You need a Winegard HD7096P high VHF/UHF antenna on the roof pointed to 56 degrees magnetic to receive NBC, CBS, and ABC. Fox is out at 354 degrees. this would require a rotor or a second antenna. Since this would have you making a long swing just to go to FOX, I would lean toward the second antenna.

Install an Antennas Direct CS2 antenna 18" above the HD 7096 aimed to 354 degrees. Since this is a one channel antenna you can order a single channel inserter to couple these antennas into one coax. I dont have a model number for the inserter but if you order the antennas from www.solidsignals.com, there tech department will help you with the proper selection. They will also help you select a mount.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jul-2012, 7:09 PM   #4
mulliganman

Thank you for the reply signals. So I have no options for an indoor or antenna in the attic that will work well?

Also, any recommendations about a company that could install everything and what kind of cost might be involved if the rooftop is the only option?

Last edited by mulliganman; 24-Jul-2012 at 7:16 PM.
Old 24-Jul-2012, 8:09 PM   #5
signals unlimited

You could try the recommended equipment in the attic. If it fails to deliver all of the networks, you can move it to the roof.
Old 24-Jul-2012, 8:23 PM   #6
teleview

Tv Reception.

For reception of the Tv stations/channels to the north/north east.

Install a Antennas Direct , http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...VHF-Combo.html.

With a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp , Above The Roof , aimed at about 10 degree magnetic compass.

Here is how aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

http://www.solidsignal.com .

http://www.antennasdirect.com ,

http://www.amazon.com.

http://www.antennasdirect.com.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select 'Air Channels' ~ 'Antenna Channels'.

Scan for channels.

For installers try . http://www.angieslist.com , http://www.servicemagic.com

?=----->
Teleview
moving closer to the truth.

Last edited by teleview; 1-Jul-2013 at 1:42 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 24-Jul-2012, 8:37 PM   #7
signals unlimited

The much smaller antenna with amplifier recommended by @teleview on the roof would also work, but you are still missing FOX. To add Fox add the second antenna with the channel 49 inserter (if available), or install a rotor.

Last edited by signals unlimited; 24-Jul-2012 at 8:40 PM.
Old 24-Jul-2012, 8:59 PM   #8
mulliganman

signals, unless I am overlooking it I didn't see either of those antennas listed on the www.solidsignal.com website. Are you sure they still sell them?
Old 24-Jul-2012, 9:31 PM   #9
teleview

Tv Reception.

The Clear Stream 2 Complete UHF/VHF antenna is sold directly through Antennas Direct.

Here are the Tv stations/channels that Yes Will Be Received by aiming the CS2 Complete UHF/VHF antenna with the CPA-19 preamp at about 10 degree magnetic compass. Including FOX .

KSPR-DT Real channel 19 , ABC and The CW.

KOLR Real channel 10 CBS.

KYTV Real channel 44 NBC and Local Weather.

KOZL-TV Real channel 28 Independent Tv station.

KOZK-DT Real channel 23 PBS.

KRBK Real channel 49 FOX and MyNetwork.
FOX and MyNetwork are both received by the CS2 Complete UHF/VHF antenna . NO channel 49 inserter is required.

KBBL-LP Real channel 24 Not transmitting.

K15CZ Real channel 15 The CW.

KRFT-LP Real channel 21 Religion.

K39IU-D Real channel 17 Religion.

NO antenna rotator is required for any of these channels.

?=---->
Teleview

Last edited by teleview; 30-Jun-2013 at 3:25 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 24-Jul-2012, 9:46 PM   #10
mulliganman

Thanks for the update tele. Would the information remain the same about the stations if I opted for installation via the attack? How would that affect the additional materials needed?

I live in a neighborhood association and am not sure how a roof installation would go over. I'm not sure that my wife is crazy about it either. So, that's why ask as I continue to mull things over.

Last edited by mulliganman; 24-Jul-2012 at 9:49 PM.
Old 24-Jul-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
teleview

Tv Reception.

Here is the Federal Antenna Law that says Yes you can , Install , Use , Maintain , antennas above the roof and , Hoa's , Coven-nuts , neigh-boor hood associations , can not delay or prevent you from , installing , using , maintaining , antennas.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html.

?=----->
Teleview

Last edited by teleview; 30-Jun-2013 at 3:32 PM.
Old 24-Jul-2012, 10:54 PM   #12
mulliganman

Wondering also whether it could be mounted using what's already on my room from my satellite dishes (if I went with the roof option) rather than buying the other ronard mounts mentioned?

I found all the other materials on amazon for the rooftop approach on amazon except the cable for significantly less.

Would the materials needed and setup be different if I wanted to try it in the attic or inside?

Thanks again for all the help!

Last edited by mulliganman; 25-Jul-2012 at 1:45 AM.
Old 24-Jul-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
teleview

Tv Reception.

Yes the typical , J shaped satellite mount or other satellite mounts can be used to mount the CS2 Complete UHF/VHF antenna.

If a mount is not at the top of the roof then the mount Must Be Moved so the mount and CS2v Complete UHF/VHF antenna is UP High so the CS2v Complete UHF/VHF antenna has the best unobstructed shot at receiving the Tv stations/channels to the north/north east.

Also the CS2v Complete UHF/VHF antenna needs to be mounted so the antenna is straight up and down , do not have the antenna tipped at odd angles.

I Strongly Say Do Not mount the CS2v Complete UHF/VHF antenna inside the attic or inside the house.

Some of the Tv transmissions at your location are weak , the CS2 Complete UHF/VHF antenna needs to be out in the open to get all the signal it can.

?=----->
Teleview

Last edited by teleview; 30-Jun-2013 at 3:36 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 25-Jul-2012, 12:54 AM   #14
GroundUrMast

Given the context, I suspect "...in the attack..." is a typo... and likely means '...in the attic...'
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2012, 1:58 AM   #15
mulliganman

[QUOTE=teleview;27995]The Clear Stream 2 Complete UHF/VHF antenna is sold directly through Antennas Direct.

Here are the Tv stations/channels that will be received by aiming the CS2 Complete UHF/VHF antenna with the CPA-19 preamp at about 10 degree magnetic compass.

KSPR-DT Real channel 19 , ABC and The CW.

KOLR Real channel 10 CBS.

KYTV Real channel 44 NBC and Local Weather.

KOZL-TV Real channel 28 Independent Tv station.

KOZK-DT Real channel 23 PBS.

KRBK Real channel 49 FOX and MyNetwork.
FOX and MyNetwork are both received by the CS2 Complete UHF/VHF antenna . NO channel 49 inserter is required.

KBBL-LP Real channel 24 Not transmitting.

K15CZ Real channel 15 The CW.

KRFT-LP Real channel 21 Religion.

K39IU-D Real channel 17 Religion.

NO antenna rotator is required for any of these channels.///QUOTE

Just curious why KRBK channel 49 says both "FOX & MyNetwork". The same question about KSPR channel 19 saying both "ABC & CW". How can both channels be picking up two network programmings?
Old 25-Jul-2012, 2:10 AM   #16
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Just curious why KRBK channel 49 says both "FOX & MyNetwork". The same question about KSPR channel 19 saying both "ABC & CW". How can both channels be picking up two network programmings?
Welcome to the wonderful world of digital broadcasting. Just as your internet connection allows your to receive information from more than one web site, digital television transmission makes it possible to send data for more than one television program. Your digital receiver sorts the bits, and displays only the information related to the signal you've tuned the TV to. Each real TV channel carries over 19 million bits of data per second from the TV station to your TV. By allocating a few million bits per second to each Virtual Channel, the broadcaster is able to send multiple programs simultaneously.

The old analog technology was like one pipe. Only one type of liquid could be transported through the pipe. The digital technology lets us do something like put pipes inside the original big pipe. This lets up keep different streams of information separate while they are 'in the pipe'.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 25-Jul-2012 at 2:18 AM.
Old 25-Jul-2012, 2:58 AM   #17
mulliganman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of digital broadcasting. Just as your internet connection allows your to receive information from more than one web site, digital television transmission makes it possible to send data for more than one television program. Your digital receiver sorts the bits, and displays only the information related to the signal you've tuned the TV to. Each real TV channel carries over 19 million bits of data per second from the TV station to your TV. By allocating a few million bits per second to each Virtual Channel, the broadcaster is able to send multiple programs simultaneously.

The old analog technology was like one pipe. Only one type of liquid could be transported through the pipe. The digital technology lets us do something like put pipes inside the original big pipe. This lets up keep different streams of information separate while they are 'in the pipe'.
Ok I am very late to the game (been getting satellite TV for a long, long time). But, I still don't understand. For example, are you saying that all ABC programming and all programming for CW will be on different channels but will be a 19. something channel? Likewise with FOX and MyNetwork programming but will be on 49. something channel?
Old 25-Jul-2012, 3:20 AM   #18
GroundUrMast

Take a look at http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...n=KSPR#station

You will find the ABC affiliate, KSPR shows up on your TV as channel 33-1 (This is the 'Virtual Channel') For day to day viewing, you don't need to know or care that the signal is broadcast on real channel 19. Only when we're sorting out what type antenna is needed do we need to know about the real channel.

Also transported in the bandwidth of real channel 19, is "The Ozarks' CW" which will show up on your TV as channel 33-2 (again, a virtual channel number).

Another example; KYTV will appear as channel 3-1. After you have the correct antenna selected and installed, you won't need to remember that their signal is actually broadcast over the air on real channel 44. There will also be a channel 3-2 according to rabbitears.info which carries weather programming (24/7???).

As you search though the information at rabbitears.info, you'll see that some broadcasters carry only one program, others carry three or even four. Here in the Seattle area, one station transmits five programs in one real channel.

When you set your TV up to use the antenna, you will need to use the set-up menu of the TV (or converter box if your TV is an analog only set). From the setup menu, you'll need to configure the tuner to use 'Antenna' or 'Air' mode, not 'Cable' mode. Then you'll need to let the tuner scan for channels. The TV or converter box will 'learn' the virtual channel numbers automatically, from information that is sent by the TV station along with the picture and sound data.

After you've done it, you'll probably be the neighborhood expert that everyone calls on for help as they 'ditch' cable and satellite.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 25-Jul-2012 at 3:28 AM.
Old 25-Jul-2012, 3:29 AM   #19
teleview

Tv Reception.

As an example.

Analog Channel 49.

The old analog transmission , only one analog Tv channel in Channel 49.

Now Digital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRBK

Digital Channel 49.

Digital can have Many More Tv channels inside of Channel 49.

49.1 , FOX.

49.2 , MyNetwork.

And the digital pictures are ->Crystal Clear <-.

No fuzzy pictures of the old Analog Tv transmission ( of yester year) because there is no analog transmission.

It's Digital Now.

?=----->
Teleview

Last edited by teleview; 30-Jun-2013 at 3:46 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 25-Jul-2012, 4:43 AM   #20
mulliganman

Thanks for the additional information tele and Ground. Tele, is there a way prior to installation to check to see that the reception with the equipment you suggested setup via the roof will be very good even though the transmissions are "weak?" Having trouble finding someone who would install to check for what the cost would be.