TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Aug-2014, 6:18 AM   #41
GroundUrMast

Adding to ADTech's response;

Though it may seem like elements that are not directly connected to the wire may not add to the overall antenna performance, they are in fact connected via inductive and capacitive coupling... They are able to contribute to the total performance of the design by directing or reflecting signal toward the 'driven' element.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Aug-2014, 11:27 AM   #42
corvairbob

i expected that but when i took off the box that had the 1 directly connect element i saw no change in reception. and i figured they were capacity connected. when i asked the company that made the antenna they had no real answer for me other than it was a uhf antenna only. but the ebay antenna got more of the uhf channels that this one no matter what way i had it configured. even on the ground inside the garage the ebay antenna worked better. but some here say it will not take the winters.

i aske the antenna signal company if they could give me some information on the types of antennas i may need so now i have to wait on them for the answers. thanks
corvairbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Aug-2014, 5:21 PM   #43
corvairbob

ok i went out and did this again and the digital box will not allow me to add channels and the tv has a add channel feature but it will not add it actually took some away neither would allow manual entry.
on the box this is it
i tried the the ne got 8-1,2,3. 13.1,2,3 . 17.1.2.3 two times 29.1,2. 35.1,2,3,4. 49.1,2,3,4. 54.1,2,3

then i pointed se lost 8.1,2,3. 15.1,2. and 29.1,2.

then i went is side and tried the tv and lost 8.1,2,3 15.1,2 but pointed to the east is the best reception. can't get 8 or 3 from thes ebay antenna.

signal source send info on a HD1080X 2-Bay Bowtie UHF and High Band VHF TV Antenna 35 Miles UHF/VHF (HD-1080x)

so i asked them if they had a way to get a bit more no reply yet so i will ask again. they may just be busy or did not get it. i will copy this message to them. any thoughts? thanks
Old 5-Aug-2014, 12:19 AM   #44
Billiam

Personally I would recommend that you buy a quality antenna like the Antennacraft HD 1850 and mount it on a rotor. That should get most or all of the channels you desire down to Ch. 5 which is a bit iffy since it is a VHF Lo signal and very weak. Don't use a pre amp because it will probably affect some of your channels with interference. RG11 cable will help if you are using a fairly long run of cable.

I am not a fan of fixed antennas unless all the signals are coming from a few degrees of the direction the antenna is pointed. I've tried this more than once and I always get a picture break up in certain weather conditions. The only way to avoid this problem, provided the signal is strong, is to use a rotor.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Aug-2014, 1:05 AM   #45
corvairbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Personally I would recommend that you buy a quality antenna like the Antennacraft HD 1850 and mount it on a rotor. That should get most or all of the channels you desire down to Ch. 5 which is a bit iffy since it is a VHF Lo signal and very weak. Don't use a pre amp because it will probably affect some of your channels with interference. RG11 cable will help if you are using a fairly long run of cable.

I am not a fan of fixed antennas unless all the signals are coming from a few degrees of the direction the antenna is pointed. I've tried this more than once and I always get a picture break up in certain weather conditions. The only way to avoid this problem, provided the signal is strong, is to use a rotor.
this what the antenna signal company suggested. Winegard HD 7698P Platinum Series High Definition VHF/UHF TV Antenna (HD7698P) so what is the difference in these 2 antennas?

i tried to do the add a channel today again on the proscan it has an add channel feature and when i tried to use it it just erased the other channels just like it did when i did the channel search and it will not le me just plug in channels, it will let me take them away but not ass new ones with doing the search. so somehow i have to couple 2 antennas together. i see these all the time on pole on roofs 2 3 or 4 antennas on the same pole so some must be connected together somehow. using a a-b switch i don't think will do any good because i can't add new channels manually. thanks
Old 5-Aug-2014, 1:17 AM   #46
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairbob View Post
this what the antenna signal company suggested. Winegard HD 7698P Platinum Series High Definition VHF/UHF TV Antenna (HD7698P) so what is the difference in these 2 antennas?

i tried to do the add a channel today again on the proscan it has an add channel feature and when i tried to use it it just erased the other channels just like it did when i did the channel search and it will not le me just plug in channels, it will let me take them away but not ass new ones with doing the search. so somehow i have to couple 2 antennas together. i see these all the time on pole on roofs 2 3 or 4 antennas on the same pole so some must be connected together somehow. using a a-b switch i don't think will do any good because i can't add new channels manually. thanks
You mentioned that you would like to watch Ch. 5. That is not going to be received by the Winegard antenna. I've used Winegard antennas in the past and while they are well built I've found the gain spec's they publish are not accurate. Antennacraft antennas actually have more gain and are still fairly well built. I've used Deep Fringe antennas from both Antennacraft and Winegard and the Antennacraft have always done better with weaker signals.

The only way around the problem of saving channels is to buy a new TV. If you can get your hands on a used Sony Bravia that will allow you to rescan for new channels without losing the old channels. You may need to contact other manufacturers to see if they also offer this feature. With Samsung you can at least punch in a channel and watch it if it is not scanned in. It will then be retained in the memory.
Old 6-Aug-2014, 3:22 AM   #47
Stereocraig

Quote:
Which Sony model are you using? I am going to purchase another TV now that I know my Insignias will not be able to add channels in the desired manner. I checked two new models and they still offer this feature.

It's a Sony Bravia 55EX 500.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Aug-2014, 2:59 PM   #48
Billiam

I just bought an LG TV. 32 inch model. It allows you to manually add channels without losing existing channels with another scan. Essentially you can accomplish the same goal of adding channels without having to lose the existing lineup by rescanning but it takes a little longer than using a TV like the SONY which allows you to rescan and add channels without losing them. The tuner is also better than the four year old Samsung that I have and better than the new Samsung that I had but gave away.

Corvair. The LG may be the best way to accomplish adding channels without having to lose existing lineup that you have. You can get a smaller LG for under $200 if you check around. Overall a very good TV.
Old 9-Aug-2014, 6:53 PM   #49
Stereocraig

Quote:
I just bought an LG TV. 32 inch model. It allows you to manually add channels without losing existing channels with another scan. Essentially you can accomplish the same goal of adding channels without having to lose the existing lineup by rescanning but it takes a little longer than using a TV like the SONY which allows you to rescan and add channels without losing them. The tuner is also better than the four year old Samsung that I have and better than the new Samsung that I had but gave away.

Corvair. The LG may be the best way to accomplish adding channels without having to lose existing lineup that you have. You can get a smaller LG for under $200 if you check around. Overall a very good TV.
Sometimes, I think I'd rather have the option of manually entering a channel then to wait for that mini scan.

BTW: Bob is apparently unhappy w/ the advice he rec'd here, cause he went over to the HDF.
It sounds like we lost one to cable/ sat.

http://www.highdefforum.com/local-hd...-question.html
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Aug-2014, 7:46 PM   #50
Billiam

Oh well. Can't lead a fish to water if it would rather flip flop around on land. :-)

I just read the posts on the other forum. He claims we only suggested that he use a compass to point fixed antennas. I suggested a rotor and a real all channel deep fringe antenna which would work for his situation but apparently he chose to ignore that advice.