TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Jun-2017, 5:30 PM   #21
JoeAZ

Hi Harold,

Not sure I am understanding correctly.
The group of translators in Quanah, Texas may carry affiliates
from different markets because of the distances involved.
Again, a stations may identify itself by a VIRTUAL number.
For example, "You are watching KVII channel 7, Amarillo."
KVII may or may not actually broadcast on RF channel 7, they
could be anywhere from RF 2-51, currently. The number a
station actually broadcasts on is called their PHYSICAL number.
Because of your unique situation, you can receive stations
from different markets via different translators. You can
receive stations from OKC, Lawton/Wichita Falls and Amarillo.
The vast majority of people can receive stations from only
one market.
JoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jun-2017, 3:48 AM   #22
harold

Hi JoeAZ, you are correct! Guess I didn't explain very well. Let me start over. The Quanah tower has the two ABC stations one is frequency 11 from Grandfield translated from Quanah on frequency 31, k31hc display channel 7 phisical channel 31. Same with display 18 from the Grandfield tower phisical channel 15, that same display channel 18 has the same KJTL, is phisical 31 from translator in Altus, and 20 in Hollis. All three of those show up on the TIVO after a channel scan. I can check mark any or all three. I've been selecting 31 because it has the strongest signal according to TIVO. I have selected the other and KJTL is usually good on all. When channel surfing I don't want to have three 18-1 KJTL in the guide.
Now back to channel 7 ABC! The one in Lawton is ABC KSWO display 7 phisical channel 11. That same KSWO in Quanah​ is display 7 phisical 31. I'm guessing if I rotate my top antenna toward Quanah I'll be able to get display 7 kswo phisical 31 plus display 7 KVII phisical 39. If I select both, surfing would look, 6-1, CBS, 7-1, ABC, KSWO, 7-1, ABC, KVII, 9-1, CBS. That would be the display channels, and I skipped all four sub channels. I haven't tried to see if they are possible. My plan is to turn the pole so the top antenna that is currently pointed at Hollis toward Quanah. Make test run. Check for picture quality, then do the same with the bottom one. If I can get a quality picture for KSWO and KAUZ on either one then I'm going lock in at 225 for Quanah and 296 for Hollis. Been getting some thunderstorms moving through. I need rain but it has missed me. Keeps going around me. I'm the hole in the doughnut. Thanks!
harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jun-2017, 3:05 PM   #23
JoeAZ

Good Luck!

If you can get usable signals from Quanah, TX you are
doing a lot of things right!!!! Please keep us posted.
Old 7-Jun-2017, 10:28 PM   #24
harold

Hello again JoeAZ,
I've been doing some experimenting with the programming I get. With the TIVO I can record about two hundred hours and have four tuners. Looks like channel 3-1 NBC shuts off power around 1130, until around 5 am. 4-1 the OKC channel isn't constant like 3-1. Some times it is on until 2 or 3 am then back on 5 or 6. some times off at 10 pm not back on until I do another scan because the 4-1 frequency I get isn't in the channel list. 6 & 7 are pretty constant in that from around midnight until 5 or 6. For those 5 to 6 hours they are pretty good but a lot of pixelation. On those two channels from early morning until midnight pixelation can't be found. Channel 9-1 may have some multipath interference. I don't know where another frequency 35 is. 9 has pixelation 24/7 . I haven't been able to record 24 hours. In 4 days straight some time between 10&2 it just goes black and the TiVo stops recording. The channel is lost until I rescan. Funny channel 12 was 100% Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Was going to watch 12 this morning around 7 and no picture or audio. TiVo had no signal with signal finder. 18&25 both shut down around 10 pm. Can't get either to keep recording all night. 43 went off Saturday night and I've not been able to get it with a rescan.
It seems I lose every channel every night somewhere between 10:00 pm and 6:00 am. Same with getting channels, between 6:00 am until 10:00 pm, except 43. I've only tried to record what I'll call prime channels. Because if I'm getting those I can get the sub channels.
I'm guessing 43 actually has a problem. Wouldn't mind if I didn't get it. 43-2 is thistv same as 7-3, 43-3 is escape same as 18-3, only 43-1 is different and haven't watched it enough to know what is on.
Let me get back to 9, I know the check signals device on TiVo isn't the best. But on 9 it has more up and downs. Peak of low sixties and drop into upper thirties. Common to see 20 to 25 point drop. Other channels usually 5 to 8 only. 72 seems high as that will go.

Last edited by harold; 7-Jun-2017 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Correction.
Old 15-Jun-2017, 12:11 AM   #25
harold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAZ View Post
Hi Harold,
I studied your situation carefully. You get Lawton/Wichita Falls stations
from translators in Altus and from the market directly. You get OKC
stations from translators near Hollis. Your translators in Altus are close
enough and strong enough that you may be able to aim one of your
current antennas directly at Hollis translators and still receive your
local Altus translators properly. That antenna would need a dedicated
RG6 run and here is why. The issue you are having with Rf 18 and
some others is that some of your tuners are unable to deal with two
stations so close, distance wise, on the same frequency. I would
keep the other antenna aimed at your main market transmitters
and translators serving Lawton and Wichita Falls. That antenna
might work better being separated from the other(s). For your sole
VHF station, I would suggest the MCM Electronics VHF antenna.
It is inexpensive $25.00 and performs decently. It is not unusual at
all for translators to be spaced well less than 70 miles apart on the
same Rf. That is why I strongly recommend keeping antenna RG6
cables separated. It prevents lots of problems, especially down
the road.....
We have issues with translators in Williams, Flagstaff, Prescott
and on Mingus Mtn in Arizona many on the same frequency and
some as close as 40 miles apart.

Hi JoeAZ, If I decide to go this route, the VHF is recomended to use a combiner. What I'm thiking Is to connect the bottom antenna to the VHF with a couple short cables to the recomended combiner.. Then use the cable I'm presently using to connect the recomended combiner to upper antenna combiner I'm presently using. Point the VHF antenna at 125 degrees, the bottom antenna at 349 degrees, and the top at 296 degrees. That should resolve any issue I have with frequency 18. Will the VHF antenna need to be seperated from the two I have?
Old 1-Jul-2017, 5:14 PM   #26
harold

I tried the change to see if I could get Quanah channels. Didn't work! I've ordered the vhf antenna and going to try that. I also contacted the Wichita Falls channel for CBS and looks like they may try to translate from the Altus tower. I'll find out more next week.
Old 2-Jul-2017, 5:26 PM   #27
JoeAZ

Harold, no one can say that you have not tried.
Keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome!