TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Jan-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
FLVIEWER

Looking for a real world solution.

Hello, for starters heres my radar plot

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf410eeda0677

this is at 20 ft AGL, I know I am not in an ideal reception area, Lots of trees east and south, north and west are relatively clear of obstruction. I would like to be able to pick at least the major networks, and pbs.
I have been looking at the Antennas Direct 42xg for this purpose, according to the spec sheet it claims a gain of 14.2 db and 30 degree beam width. Just looking for any input on this type of solution to my desired outcome.

Thanks.
FLVIEWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 2:51 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

How many Tv's will be connected??
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 4:25 PM   #3
FLVIEWER

One for now, possibly a second later on.
Old 20-Jan-2011, 5:20 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The 42XG is a good medium to medium-long range UHF antenna. I doubt you would find it adequate for your needs except for most of the Gainesville UHF stations (without regard to how many TVs you want to hook up).

Before proceeding, use a compass and see if you can obtain a clear line of sight towards either Orlando (106° magnetic) or Tampa (183° magnetic) that is not obstructed by trees. Either of those cities is within reception range based on your TVFool plot, but I can tell you from experience that trees or other obstructions within the last several hundred yards will usually be the final nail in the coffin for deep-fringe digital signals.

If you can't get either Orlando or Tampa, you're stuck with the Gainseville-Ocala market. Their broadcasters are scattered about generally to your north. Unfortunately, both CBS and NBC will be hard to get from there (or anywhere).

For CBS, WGFL in G'ville is almost 60 miles away and has its transmitting antenna facing to their north-east. You'll need a deepest fringe UHF antenna with preamp for that one. CBS from TSP (WSTP) currently transmits from near Tarpon Springs on VHF 10. They have applied to re-locate to Tampa with the rest of the TSP stations. As part of that process, they have applied to build a VHF-4 translator near you. Currently, a long-range high-VHF antenna should get them. If they move and the VHF-4 translator comes online, you'll need to swap out that antenna for a low-VHF unit aimed northwest. WKMG in Orlando should be receivable (see above...) with a deep-fringe UHF antenna with preamp. They have applied for a 15 kW translator UHF-20 in Ocala which might, if built, be receivable.

For NBC, unless WESH ever builds its UHF-24 translator in Ocala, you're stuck trying to to pull in WESH from Orlando or WFLA on VHF-7 from TSP. WNBW on VHF 9 from Gainesville is unlikely due to low power and a sharp null in your direction.

Due both a physical and a reality check of your surroundings, your budget, and what you'll find acceptable. For example, if trees were not a concern, a deep-fringe setup with both high-VHF and UHF capability along with a proper preamp and a rotor would give you the potential for all three markets mentioned above although it would not be inexpensive by the time it was mounted appropriately.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 5:38 PM   #5
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Ok I suggest a All Channel , Winegard HD7082P antenna with a Winegard AP8700 preamp mounted on the roof. The stations to receive are to the north and west. Point the antenna at 359 magnetic compass -- WCJB-DT 16. . The stations from W26DP-D 26 The CW to WESH 24 NBC are widely spaced , it's streching a bit to get the tv stations in the antennas forward beam width , however I think will receive Ok. Will need to turn the antenna to the left and right to get the strongest signals from 26 to 24 and the Tv stations in between. WYKE-CD 47 is a religion channel , if it is received fine if not fine. If you have to have it then you have to go to a 2 antenna system because the spacing between the Tv stations will be too wide for one antenna. ADTech says 4 and 24 are not on the air yet , if true , I say it is still Ok the receive what can be received. And if 4 and 24 are not on the air yet , you will have the antenna up and watching the other stations/channels and waiting for them to begin transmitting. And you can call the tv stations , talk with Engineering departments and find out when will be on the air.

Last edited by John Candle; 21-Jan-2011 at 12:53 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 5:46 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

As noted above, neither the low-VHF channel 4 nor the WESH-24 translators actually exist...

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 6:27 PM   #7
FLVIEWER

Thank You for your responses gentlemen, I will have to do a little bit of reality checking as suggested by ADTech, and look into John's Antenna/Preamp suggeston. Always find it fun to play around with these types of things to see what happens.
Thanks again.