TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Mar-2019, 12:57 PM   #61
Nascarken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post

AD Tech, what would you say the wind load is on these C4 / Max antennas?

So, the C4-V-CJM, I have been researching/reading. AD says it's re-engineered from the original C4. What did they do to improve it?

I imagine it has to be better, since its more expensive even without reflectors

Also, you mentioned that it is highly recommended along the WI-IL State line, that must be true since I see a lot of them. I should clarify. I see a lot of the the C4's with reflectors, usually aimed in opposing directions.

Wouldn't they have been smarter to keep both and remove the reflectors? or even just one? Or, is the original C4 useless w/o the reflectors?

My experience has taught me that it's a bad idea to combine antennas pointing in two opposite directions.

I found a decent price on Amazon, ($120.00) so I was thinking about purchasing one or two.

Thanks, Bob
That set up I would say wins of 35too 50 say Goodbye to that wind sale.
And for that price, you should take a look AT the new channels master antenna
It will fly in the wind and receive them broadcasting station that you are looking for,and you won't need 2 to get the job done.

Last edited by Nascarken; 26-Mar-2019 at 1:12 PM.
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Mar-2019, 3:23 PM   #62
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Above the antennas videos, through Dropbox:

Current set-up
https://db.tt/a5SDMFCqps

Earlier experiment:
https://db.tt/YASaxi2jMR

Nice shot Bob; just like I was up there at the antenna!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bobsgarageTVF91XG2016-5-19_1.jpg (116.5 KB, 1732 views)
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Mar-2019, 4:52 PM   #63
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
AD Tech, what would you say the wind load is on these C4 / Max antennas?
No idea. We've never measured or calculated that.

Quote:
So, the C4-V-CJM, I have been researching/reading. AD says it's re-engineered from the original C4. What did they do to improve it?
Added the VHF module as far as I know. I don't know what you've seen or where it was found so I can't comment beyond that. Since the C4V and the rest of its generation of products have been superseded by the MAX series, I think only the MAX is shown on our website these days. Anyway, marketing copy isn't my department.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Mar-2019, 10:45 PM   #64
Nascarken
Banned

Ok but you're all most out of the hole of the tree's and the montin hill's up just ten ft more
And you will receive BROADCASTING station like no tomorrow and I suggest that for
The best results out of the 91x g is to put a channel master 7777amp to it the 91xg
Love's the channel master amp.And do not worry about over load becuse of your terane
With hill's and all the tree's good luck and be safe and look out for power lines when installing an outdoor tv antenna,73.
Old 28-Mar-2019, 1:37 PM   #65
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Antennas Direct C4-V-CJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
No idea. We've never measured or calculated that.

Added the VHF module as far as I know. I don't know what you've seen or where it was found so I can't comment beyond that. Since the C4V and the rest of its generation of products have been superseded by the MAX series, I think only the MAX is shown on our website these days. Anyway, marketing copy isn't my department.
AD Tech,

Thanks for the quick reply, it's well appreciated.

No wind testing, surprising. They do appear to be very weather proof though and somewhat aero dynamic, especially with the reflectors removed (as designed).

So, here's where I saw they have been "re-engineered", according to Solid Signal's marketing Dept. of course:

Screenshot_20190328-075130_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190328-075311_Samsung Internet.jpg

I've seriously entertained the idea of getting two. While reading reviews o Amazon, I did see where some complained about the VHF capabilities (over 35 miles).

If one was so inclined, could two of these be combined to one input?

Last edited by bobsgarage; 29-Mar-2019 at 12:56 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Mar-2019, 2:19 PM   #66
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Above the antenna video. Scared of heights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Nice shot Bob; just like I was up there at the antenna!

Hi Rabbit!

Hindsight being 20-20, I think I would have done a nicer job on the video. But then again, it kind of shows the perspective which is what I wanted. In the video the antennas are actually pointed opposite of the way I normally have them. In the video they're pointed at Milwaukee actually.

That's to say that Chicago is directly behind that tall fresh green maple tree opposite of the point of the antennas. That tree is gotten substantially larger by at least four or five feet I think. Still, reception has been good with the XG 91 even with the reflectors still hanging and the 30 - 2476 is kind of a waste because we only have one VHF High channel in Chicago.

But you're right, it does put you right up there with the antennas and even gives me that queasy feeling because I'm somewhat afraid of heights. I have a difficult time looking down when I'm up high, even the video gives me that feeling!

Last edited by bobsgarage; 29-Mar-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 28-Mar-2019, 2:34 PM   #67
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Solid Signal's write-up appears to be their in-house doing. I can see multiple errors.

Yes, multiple antennas of the same type may be connected following certain rules and with due consideration of the capabilities of the antenna as well as the desired result.

VHF reception via a simple dipole is always going to be a compromise and includes several factors outside the control of the device. The incorporation of a single dipole is a compromise driven by the need to have a very compact antenna that fits in a box smaller than a briefcase so that big-box retail stores will actually put it on their shelves. The alternative is a much larger antenna such as our C5 or conventional stick antennas. Outside of the home centers, you won't find either of those types of products available in-store at any of the national retailers, you'd have to special order them.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Mar-2019, 6:38 PM   #68
Nascarken
Banned

Ordering on linen is like special ordering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Solid Signal's write-up appears to be their in-house doing. I can see multiple errors.

Yes, multiple antennas of the same type may be connected following certain rules and with due consideration of the capabilities of the antenna as well as the desired result.

VHF reception via a simple dipole is always going to be a compromise and includes several factors outside the control of the device. The incorporation of a single dipole is a compromise driven by the need to have a very compact antenna that fits in a box smaller than a briefcase so that big-box retail stores will actually put it on their shelves. The alternative is a much larger antenna such as our C5 or conventional stick antennas. Outside of the home centers, you won't find either of those types of products available in-store at any of the national retailers, you'd have to special order them.
You still have to wait 3 To 4days to get it and you can all so get free shipping
When ordering frum Lowe's or Home depot!!!
Old 28-Mar-2019, 7:37 PM   #69
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
So, here's where I saw they have been "re-engineered", according to Solid Signal's marketing Dept. of course:

Those attachments don't work for me, Bob.
Old 29-Mar-2019, 1:04 AM   #70
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Antennas Direct C4-V-CJM Re-engineered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Those attachments don't work for me, Bob.
That's funny, they were there this morning. I saw them on my phone and my computer but I don't see them anymore.

Could the administrators of this forum have edited those screenshots of the solid signal page out of my post? I'll send you them through the private messaging system.

I can't see any evidence of the attachments on my phone, but I see a lot of space in my original post.

I then re-added the to the original post. They are there as of this posting.

I will also add them here.

Last edited by bobsgarage; 29-Mar-2019 at 1:03 PM.
Old 29-Mar-2019, 1:33 AM   #71
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
That's funny, they were there this morning. I saw them on my phone and my computer but I don't see them anymore.

Could the administrators of this forum have and it did those screenshots of the solid signal page out of my post? I'll send you them through the private messaging system.
I have found that on this forum an attachment doesn't "stick" unless it is first attached to a post as an attachment.

So, first I add it as an attachment to a post and Submit Reply. Then, I edit the post to add the image to the post text box so that it will show in the post.

If you just add an image to your list of attachments, it isn't linked to any particular post.

Once it is linked to the first post, you can the use it in another post like this:

or even like this from another thread:

Last edited by rabbit73; 29-Mar-2019 at 1:45 AM.
Old 29-Mar-2019, 8:45 AM   #72
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Rabbit, Not sure what happened, the attachments must have been there when AD Tech reviewed them as he described that it was Solid Signal.

Here's the link:

https://www.solidsignal.com/m/product.aspx?p=C4MVJ
Old 29-Mar-2019, 12:02 PM   #73
Tower Guy

I put up one of those Winegard antennas at my parent’s house. It did very well at minimizing airplane flutter.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Mar-2019, 12:16 PM   #74
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

4 bay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb View Post
I have a 4 bay with no reflector and receive excellent reception from front and back. Back tower is appx 45 miles out and front towers are appx 60 miles out.

I even turned it slightly off line and receive some side towers, although not was well as the front and back towers.
Hi Rick , thanks for your input .

So you're using a 4-bay? My towers are approximately 10 miles closer each way.

Which 4-bay bay do you use?
Old 29-Mar-2019, 12:20 PM   #75
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
I put up one of those Winegard antennas at my parent’s house. It did very well at minimizing airplane flutter.
You mean the HD 8100? I'll bet that was fun to put up! That's just a massive antenna. Is that one of the largest ever made?

What is airplane flutter?
Old 29-Mar-2019, 12:25 PM   #76
Nascarken
Banned

Quote:
Hi Rick , thanks for your input .

So you're using a 4-bay? My towers are approximately 10 miles closer each way.

Which 4-bay bay do you use?
We'll below me down.
I use the antenna Direct 91xg!!!
And the best 8200u
Old 29-Mar-2019, 1:59 PM   #77
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

AD Tech question

Hello and Good Morning AD Tech.

If there's really no difference between the C4MAX and the CS4V, wouldn't the old CS4V be a better deal ? (At least at Amazon)

When I scroll through the pics, the main difference (I see) is there appears to be casing over the middle frame. Is that for weatherproofing?

The other difference (I see) is obvious. The reflectors are on the CS4V, should I ever need them.

The price difference is minimal, but when you add on the reflector kit to the C4MAX, it's greater. Your opinion (and other's as well) is appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190329-080934_Amazon Shopping.jpg (209.7 KB, 1448 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190329-081010_Amazon Shopping.jpg (234.2 KB, 1442 views)
Old 29-Mar-2019, 3:42 PM   #78
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
You mean the HD 8100? I'll bet that was fun to put up! That's just a massive antenna. Is that one of the largest ever made?
I think he means the CW-1001 wedge antenna.

Quote:
What is airplane flutter?
That is when an aircraft passes through the signal path. You get the direct signal from the transmitter, and a signal reflected from the aircraft. But, since the aircraft is moving, the reflection from the aircraft can add to or subtract from the direct signal, causing the received signal to go in and out.

The name "flutter" was coined in the analog TV days; you could see the signal get weaker or stronger as the aircraft moved by.
https://www.google.com/search?client...10.-3sQk9ISJ5M

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/186...tml#post962332

Last edited by rabbit73; 29-Mar-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 29-Mar-2019, 5:12 PM   #79
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

I'm trying to figure out a way you get good reception from Chicago and Milwaukee at the same time for one or two antennas. The reason I'm looking at the C-Max series is because they are bi-directional and they were recommended by AD Tech.

I'm reading everybody's advice do you have any other good advice?

I haven't bought any antennas yet.

Last edited by mtownsend; 1-Apr-2019 at 6:27 PM. Reason: Cleaning up the thread
Old 29-Mar-2019, 7:13 PM   #80
Nascarken
Banned

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out a way you get good reception from Chicago and Milwaukee at the same time for one or two antennas. The reason I'm looking at the C-Max series is because they are bi-directional and they were recommended by AD Tech.

I'm reading everybody's advice do you have any other good advice?

I haven't bought any antennas yet.
Call antenna Direct I had the same problem and they sent
Me ALL new right down to a new balen,free of charge where did you
buy your 91xg if it is a truei antennas Direct 91xg call them directly becuse
I bot my in at solid signal

you have the best ANTENNA for your needs call them and ask for your parts on the 91xg.

Last edited by mtownsend; 1-Apr-2019 at 6:28 PM. Reason: Cleaning up the thread