TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Aug-2019, 12:17 AM   #1
Gophers

Help with Antenna reception Stacy Minnesota

I have the mohu ultimate antenna. We live in a mobile home and can't do a outdoor antenna so a indoor is the best we can do. I can get all of the channels to come in excpet for one.

The channel i like to get to come in is 9.4 the buzzer channel. the classic game show channel. Like i said i can't do outdoor antenna. I have my antenna next to my window. Does putting in the window work better or not?

Here is my tvfool report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90389b75600449
Gophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Aug-2019, 1:48 AM   #2
OTAFAN

Hi & Welcome Gophers:

Here's another report for your zip code from rabbitears.info post repack. It might be a bit more up to date than your TV Fool report; please be patient as it takes about 30 seconds to load:

https://www.rabbitears.info/search.p...e=dBm&height=8

I'm not sure why you would not be receiving buzzer 9.4 (Fox real channel 9), unless there is a network issue. If you're getting the other Fox channels, you should be receiving buzzer. I'm sure others will chime in with a possible answer.

Quote:
I have my antenna next to my window. Does putting in the window work better or not?
It depends upon what kind of windows you have. If your mobile home is an older unit, you might try hanging it in the widow and probably you'll receive better reception. If it's a new model with "Low E" windows which reflect the UV rays, they might interfere with your reception. If you have already found the "sweet spot" inside your home for OTA TV viewing, you probably have maximized your reception. Do you use an amp on your antenna? If not you might try that.

If you don't mind a recommendation, you might want to consider Antennas Direct indoor antennas, particularly the Clearstream Flex. I have found it to be more reliable than the Mohu's in pulling in maximum signal strength. It will help you with your 2 High real VHF channels, Fox 9 and NBC 11. But I'm certainly not trying to cost you more money. You can look at their website and check Amazon.com as well.

Hopefully this will help you. There are some real fine Techs here that probably can assist you better as well. Good luck and please let us know how you come out.

Last edited by OTAFAN; 5-Aug-2019 at 3:17 AM. Reason: additional
OTAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Aug-2019, 2:14 AM   #3
Gophers

Thank you for the reply. I will check with Antennas Direct. I do hope i posted this in the right forum. 1st time posting. The mobile home we live in is the same one we live in when we move into it in 1977. So it a real old home. The amp i use is the one that came with the mohu antenna.

But i will check the antennas direct one. I do have a picture of where my antenna is if needed to be posted.
Old 5-Aug-2019, 2:38 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

If you are receiving virtual channels 9.1, 9.2 & 9.3 with out difficulty, the likely problem is one of the following:

1. The broadcaster is not currently transmitting that sub-channel or they are sending blank data on that sub-channel. A polite call to the station engineering team may answer the question.

2. There is an issue with your TV. A re-scan may solve the problem. (see you user manual).

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Aug-2019, 2:43 AM   #5
Gophers

Thank for the reply. I do believe it the placement of my antenna. If i move the antenna down to the lower part next to my window. It come clear. SO i do believe it the placement of my antenna.
Old 5-Aug-2019, 3:16 AM   #6
OTAFAN

Quote:
SO i do believe it the placement of my antenna.
Yes, indoor antennas are interesting creatures. Due to the nature of your homes materials that block and deflect signals, in your case aluminum siding etc., it can take some patience to find the "sweet spot" for maximum reception. So, a window would be very good for your "classic" manufactured home!

Glad you're improving your TV viewing, Gophers. GroundUrMast above has given good advice to help you.

All the best.....

Last edited by OTAFAN; 5-Aug-2019 at 6:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 5-Aug-2019, 3:35 AM   #7
Gophers

We still have directv as our primary provider. My dad watches Golf on CBS and Directv took wcco 4 off the air. So we use the antenna for that.
Old 6-Aug-2019, 8:13 PM   #8
w0en

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
If you are receiving virtual channels 9.1, 9.2 & 9.3 with out difficulty, the likely problem is one of the following:

1. The broadcaster is not currently transmitting that sub-channel or they are sending blank data on that sub-channel. A polite call to the station engineering team may answer the question.

2. There is an issue with your TV. A re-scan may solve the problem. (see you user manual).
KMSP 9 has two frequencies. 9-1, 9-2, & 9-3 are on UHF 29. 9-4 and 9-5 are on RF channel 9 on hi-VHF. 9-1 & 9-5 are duplicates of the main channel. Buzzer would need to have a hi VHF antenna to receive it which I don't believe the Mohu antenna covers. They did this after the transition as RF9 didn't cover some areas well.
w0en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Aug-2019, 8:39 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0en View Post
KMSP 9 has two frequencies. 9-1, 9-2, & 9-3 are on UHF 29. 9-4 and 9-5 are on RF channel 9 on hi-VHF. 9-1 & 9-5 are duplicates of the main channel. Buzzer would need to have a hi VHF antenna to receive it which I don't believe the Mohu antenna covers. They did this after the transition as RF9 didn't cover some areas well.
Thanks for catching that.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Aug-2019, 10:06 PM   #10
Gophers

Thank you all for the reply. the Mohu leaf that i have is optimized for UHF stations, which comprises about 95% of the TV stations today. The Leaf® will still receive VHF stations but it will not be able to receive them from as far away as the UHF band stations.

So i went ahead and got a antennadirect indoor antenna. The ClearStream FLEX® Amplified UHF/VHF Indoor HDTV Antenna with Sure Grip one.

Last edited by Gophers; 6-Aug-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 6-Aug-2019, 10:43 PM   #11
OTAFAN

Ok, Gophers!

Keep us posted how it all turns out for you. As one of the best Techs rabbit73, on TV Fool once told me, "Your TV (signal meter) will tell you how your antenna is working."

Best of luck!

P.S. Just a tip on hanging the Clearstream Flex. If it has problem's staying stuck to your wall (a reported issue), use some industrial strength Velcro strips, 2 cut to about 1" square to insure antenna won't come down in a couple of months. There are other simple solutions as well, but this one worked for me. However, you might not have a problem with it sticking to your wall. Most reviewers didn't have an issue.

Last edited by OTAFAN; 6-Aug-2019 at 11:02 PM. Reason: additional
Old 6-Aug-2019, 10:47 PM   #12
Gophers

I will. Should be here sometime next week.
Old 6-Aug-2019, 11:09 PM   #13
Gophers

If anyone want to know where i live. Here is where my mobile home is. We live in the back end of Stacy Trailer park.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Su...9!4d-92.996224 My house is the one with the white roof on top. Just wanted to let you know. Yeah there trees
Old 6-Aug-2019, 11:36 PM   #14
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
optimized for UHF stations, which comprises about 95% of the TV stations today
Actually, after the 2009 repack, it was 74% of full power stations. Post-repack, I don't know offhand. I haven't seen any reliable numbers and I'm not motivated enough to dig through everything at the moment. There were a couple of dozen stations that took cash to move from UHF to VHF and a fair number of others who took cash to just go off the air, whether completely or via a channel sharing arrangement with a remaining station.

When it comes to the Flex, make sure the mounting surface is CLEAN before putting it onto that surface. The Sure Grip is actually the same type of stuff that the old "Wacky Wall Walker" toys were made of. They do a REALLY good job of picking up any dust and lint which then renders them useless for sticking to a wall or window. I send out a couple of replacement strips every week, it seems, because of that for the Eclipse and the Flex.

The Flex does very well on high-VHF. It has pretty flat gain all the way across the 7-13 channel range due to an extraordinarily fat dipole section that's in there. For UHF, it has a single tapered loop element.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 7-Aug-2019 at 1:25 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Aug-2019, 1:01 AM   #15
Gophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Actually, after the 2009 repack, it was 74% of full power stations. Post-repack, I don't know offhand. I haven't seen any reliable numbers and I'm not motivated enough to dig through everything at the moment. There were a couple of dozen stations that took cash to move from UHF to VHF and a fair number of others who took cash to just go off the air, whether completely or via a channel sharing arrangement with a remaining station.

When it comes to the Flex, make sure the mounting surface is CLEAN before putting up onto that surface. The Sure Grip is actually the same type os stuff that the old "Wacky Wall Walker" toys were made of. They do a REALLY good job of picking up any dust and lint which then renders them useless for sticking to a wall or window. I send out a couple of replacement strips every week, it seems because of that, for the Eclipse and the Flex.

The Flex does very well on high-VHF. It has pretty flat gain all the way across the 7-13 channel range due to an extraordinarily fat dipole section that's in there. For UHF, it has a single tapered loop element.
Thank you for the detail reply. Can't wait to give it a try. Hoping it will at least get the 9.4 channel that doesn't come in at all. I also forgot about 9.5 and 9.9 But 9.9 doesn't matter to me as i have that channel period with directv. It Fox 9. Just wanted the antenna for all these subchannels.
Old 7-Aug-2019, 2:13 AM   #16
Gophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0en View Post
Correction on this. 9.5 is light tv. 9.9 is the duplicates of the main channel.
Old 9-Aug-2019, 11:38 PM   #17
Gophers

Update. Just got the new antenna and it working great. 9.4 now come in. even 9.5 come in.
Old 10-Aug-2019, 1:29 AM   #18
OTAFAN

Thanks for letting the forum know of your success, Gophers!

Good to hear your Antennas Direct Clearstream Flex is doing the job for you. I thought it might do the trick.

Watch for channel 9.6 coming soon with "Decades." If you like classic TV, they offer a lot of excellent and entertaining programming.

All the best as always.....

Last edited by OTAFAN; 10-Aug-2019 at 1:33 AM. Reason: additional
Old 10-Aug-2019, 1:45 AM   #19
Gophers

I know. also channel 4.3 is coming soon.
Old 10-Aug-2019, 1:13 PM   #20
Gophers

WOW. I just did a rescan and i was able to pull in 4 channels from Wisconsin. Wisconsin Public TV. Plus all of the other channels i get. The channels from Wisconsin do come in the best at night. that ok.

Last edited by Gophers; 10-Aug-2019 at 5:59 PM.