TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Sep-2018, 5:32 PM   #1
athiktos

Two antennas or one?

I have a DB4e that I purchased some time ago and I am looking to acquire some VHF stations. Would I be better off using the DB4e with a VHF specific antenna like a 30-2476, or would a combined VHF/UHF like a HDB91X work the same/better?

From the little research I have done, I would imagine a better outcome from two antennas, each dedicated to VHF and UHF stations.

Thanks
athiktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2018, 7:41 PM   #2
Tower Guy

Both your DB4e and the HBDX91 are UHF only antennas. There is no reason to combine them for VHF reception. I’d combine the DB4e that you have with a true VHF only antenna.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2018, 8:07 PM   #3
athiktos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Both your DB4e and the HBDX91 are UHF only antennas. There is no reason to combine them for VHF reception. I’d combine the DB4e that you have with a true VHF only antenna.

Sorry. I used the HBDX91 because I thought I read it was a VHF/UHF antenna.

Is one option more efficient than the other, in terms of reception? ...If I were to get an antenna that drew both VHF and UHF, lol.
Old 26-Sep-2018, 8:31 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

It all depends...

Using separates allows you to customize to a greater degree while the combos are generally pretty limited as to what the relative antenna sections' performance might be.

Otherwise, when it comes to mounting, it's pretty much a comparison between a ranch home that sprawls or a two story of the same floor area that occupies half the land.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2018, 8:39 PM   #5
athiktos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
It all depends...

Using separates allows you to customize to a greater degree while the combos are generally pretty limited as to what the relative antenna sections' performance might be.

Otherwise, when it comes to mounting, it's pretty much a comparison between a ranch home that sprawls or a two story of the same floor area that occupies half the land.
Thank you. My signal analysis is as follows:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038d5e534f23c

The DB4e works well for me inside, but I am going to mount both on an existing antenna tower. Would I be better off getting a 30-2476 or a 30-2475 in my location? The 30-2476 seems better because it has more gain, but I understand that more gain is not necessarily better.
Old 26-Sep-2018, 8:42 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

It all depends on what VHF stations you're trying to receive.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2018, 8:54 PM   #7
athiktos

NBC 13.1 (13) and WISH-DT 8.1 (9), mainly
Old 26-Sep-2018, 10:10 PM   #8
jrgagne99

If you're not interested in any of the UHF stations to the north, then sure, get a medium gain combo like the Winegard 7694P and point it south. You'll probably even get Real-11 on it. Another option is to get an MCM-2475/6 and combine it with your dB4e with the RCA pre-amp which has separate inputs for UHF and VHF. Amplify and combine- two birds with one stone.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Sep-2018, 6:41 PM   #9
athiktos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
If you're not interested in any of the UHF stations to the north, then sure, get a medium gain combo like the Winegard 7694P and point it south. You'll probably even get Real-11 on it. Another option is to get an MCM-2475/6 and combine it with your dB4e with the RCA pre-amp which has separate inputs for UHF and VHF. Amplify and combine- two birds with one stone.
With the one DB4e antenna, I will sometimes point it to the north or to the south depending on the time of day/season. Both directions give me the same stations with different news feeds...the north is just not as reliable as the south.

I would prefer to simply point the DB4e south and get a separate VHF antenna to draw the real 13 and 9 stations, because the south is more reliable/better feed.

I'm still not sure if the MCM-2475 or MCM-2476 is needed for real 13 and 9. As I mentioned before, my gut tells me to order the 2476 with more gain because it's "better" but I understand that is not always the case.

Last edited by athiktos; 27-Sep-2018 at 6:45 PM.
Old 27-Sep-2018, 8:37 PM   #10
rickbb

You can over amplify a signal with an amp and cause problems but I doubt you can put up an antenna with too much gain.

I mean it can be done I guess, but not by using off the shelf consumer components.

I vote to get the "better" one.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Sep-2018, 9:07 PM   #11
athiktos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb View Post
You can over amplify a signal with an amp and cause problems but I doubt you can put up an antenna with too much gain.

I mean it can be done I guess, but not by using off the shelf consumer components.

Thanks!
Old 28-Sep-2018, 3:17 AM   #12
jrgagne99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb View Post
I agree. 2476
Old 1-Oct-2018, 9:08 PM   #13
athiktos

Quote:
I agree. 2476
Thanks guys...already ordered.

I am, obviously, not going to put them on top of each other, but is there recommended amount of space I should allow between the two mounted antennas?
Old 2-Oct-2018, 4:58 PM   #14
jrgagne99

I have about two feet between my DB8e and 2476. They both work fine. Closer may be ok too, but you will be limited by the height of the reflector on the 2476. At one point in time, I actually reconfigured the 2476 reflector to be a single element so I could get it closer to the 8-bay and/or a HDB91X UHF-Yagi, which cost me cost me 2-3 dB on the 2476. But from that new baseline, I got them maybe as close as 6" with no further (noticeable) degradation in performance. Your mileage may vary.
Old 2-Oct-2018, 6:12 PM   #15
athiktos

Quote:
I have about two feet between my DB8e and 2476. They both work fine. Closer may be ok too, but you will be limited by the height of the reflector on the 2476. At one point in time, I actually reconfigured the 2476 reflector to be a single element so I could get it closer to the 8-bay and/or a HDB91X UHF-Yagi, which cost me cost me 2-3 dB on the 2476. But from that new baseline, I got them maybe as close as 6" with no further (noticeable) degradation in performance. Your mileage may vary.
Thanks, I was looking for it somewhere on here and just saw the "Antenna Spacing Guidelines" posted by GroundUrMast. I was going to take this down, but appreciate your personal response/experience with spacing!