TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Apr-2015, 6:36 PM   #1
nolens

Advice in Virginia

I live outside Danville, Virginia, if any of the forum moderators in Virginia could contact me would be much obliged. Went to outside tv antenna due to divorce/reduce bills. Would like opinion on how I set my antenna up, making sure i did it right, also, best way to hook up four tv's. Have followed Ground Ur Mast instructions in the past. I used new and used equipment, some of the reception is amazing in comparison to cable.
nolens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Apr-2015, 6:43 PM   #2
nolens

New to posting on this forum. I mounted a old what I think was a channel master antenna on the roof, using the their mounting hardware for a chimney. When I say old, like twenty or so years old. I found a damaged newer antenna that had a longer UHF end on it. I took that UHF end off the old one and put the newer and longer one on the channel master i put up. I bought a chanelmaster mid level amplifier new. Used RG 6 cable and insulators for connections. Big ground wire. The rotator was purchased used as the one that orginally went with the antenna was shot. It looks to a radio shack deal. I purchased a Channel Master digital converter box. Unreal in the amount of stations picked up with this expensive box, vs a cheap zenith one y neighbor let me borrow. Used channelmaster rotator control, looks like the radio shack one. What is the best way to hook up four antennas to this set up?
Old 7-Apr-2015, 9:40 PM   #3
eden

I live maybe 15-20 miles from you in Eden. Reception is surprisingly decent in this area. Technically you're in the Roanoke-Lynchburg market but you may find stations from the Greensboro or even the Raleigh area which are stronger. You're going to want an antenna that points in more than one direction (like the Antennas Direct DB8e I struggled with) and/or a rotor. If you're not too picky about where you get each network from you should be able to get all the major networks and a wide variety of secondary networks. Feel free to PM me and maybe we can even talk on the phone. I may even have some spare hardware to help you with.
eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Apr-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by eden View Post
Feel free to PM me and maybe we can even talk on the phone. I may even have some spare hardware to help you with.
Wow, nice gesture Eden.

May be passing through the area Friday. (Manassas to Charlotte) Unfortunately most of the family favors the interstate option, so may not happen. They just don't enjoy the thrill of passing through Tightsqueeze, VA on good ole 29 like I do.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Apr-2015, 3:18 PM   #5
Jake V

Nolens: Please post your TV Fool Report created with these instructions: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508

Make sure to use the correct height of your existing antenna.

Also indicate by call sign what channels you want.

This will assist people to give you advice.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-May-2015, 2:22 PM   #6
nolens

Thank you Eden for your offer of help. I have been busy at work and taking care of a family member who has cancer. I can pick up stations in Greensboro NC, Roanoke, Virginia, Lynchburg, Virginia. I cant pick up anything fronm Raleigh though. I can pick up CBS, ABC,NBC. However, the favorites are Bounce TV, GET TV (very similar to TCM), GRIT TV, which shows the old westerns and old action movies. ME TV is also a favorite. I do miss some of the cable shows, but over alll alot of cable programming is trash. Going to the antenna has saved around 100 bucks a month that has allowed me to pay on other bills.
Old 10-May-2015, 2:25 PM   #7
nolens

One more thing, the channel master box made a big difference, without it could not pick up all the before mentioned channels. Picture quality is unreal. What is the best way to use a splitter to connect to tvs in other parts of the house? My house is pretty small, not talking about long runs.
Old 10-May-2015, 3:47 PM   #8
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Please post your tvfool report using this to make sure our advice is accurate:
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

Here is a generic report for Danville, but a report with your exact address or coordinates (which wouldn't show) would be more accurate:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0a5ce0f00a9
Quote:
What is the best way to use a splitter to connect to tvs in other parts of the house?
antenna > amplifier > long coax > amp power supply/inserter > 4-way splitter > TVs

Last edited by rabbit73; 10-May-2015 at 3:55 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote