TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Sep-2015, 2:52 AM   #1
JG86

Horrible reception in apartment

Here is my TVFool report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e030fc319a8bb

I live on the fourth floor facing west of an apartment. Across the road at eye level is the power lines. I have a clearstream 1, 2V and channel master CM-7777 preamp that has helped bring in more channels.

The only channel that comes in all day is Chex (12.1). I would like 3 or so more channels to also come in all day. At this point, I don't care what channels I get as long as they come in all day long. I was getting channel 2.1, 4.1, 7.1, 17.1, 23.1, 26.1, 27.1 and 35.1. They would only come in clear in the morning until 8:30-10am.

Please help!
JG86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2015, 2:59 AM   #2
JG86

The antennas are set up on my balcony attached to a pole.

I have been trying since the spring to get the channels to come in better. Buying a new antenna is not an option nor am I able to put it on the roof since there are four more floors above me. Back in the winter I was able to get ctv (35.1) to come in with interference every few minutes. Also, to get the signal back once it freezes, I have to turn the tv off and on.
Old 6-Sep-2015, 3:54 PM   #3
Greenish Apple

Are you able to build an antenna? A Super Stealth Hawk works very well. (Google Images for super stealth hawk, look for image with 6,8,13 legs)

4.5 ft of #6 ground wire (actually 7 strands of #14 wire), pull off/straighten 2 pieces, bend to the SSH shape, attach to plywood or similar, add balun (hardware store or dollar store), mount.

I had two in my attic and they worked well for the local stations and they occasionally pulled in others during tropo events.

GA in Ontario
(east of you)
Greenish Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2015, 5:25 PM   #4
JG86

Yes I can try building one if I can find instructions.

Thank you!!!
Old 7-Sep-2015, 12:57 AM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You're simply on the wrong side of the building for most of the stations and are probably in an un-fixable location.

If a C2V cannot pick up your stations, a stealth hawk hasn't a ghost of a chance.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 7-Sep-2015 at 1:08 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Sep-2015, 3:04 PM   #6
JG86

I was worried it would be something like that. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 7-Sep-2015, 6:20 PM   #7
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

ADTech is correct; you are on the wrong side of the building. But there a few more tests you can try using the antennas you have.

It is possible that CHEX is so strong it is overloading your 7777, which will make it impossible to receive your weaker channels.

The first thing you could try is to use the C2 without the "V" dipole, but with the preamp, aimed at CFTO from the balcony. Then try other directions because all your other channels will be coming in as reflections, not direct signals. This will make CHEX weaker as compared to the other channels. I don't know which 7777 you have; the old model with two antenna inputs, or the new 7777 with only one antenna input. If it is the old 7777 connect the C2 to the UHF input and set the switch inside to separate.

C2 > old 7777 > coax > power inserter > TV

If you have the new 7777 with only one antenna input, connect the C2 to a UVSJ using the High/UHF and Common/Line ports, and then to the input of the 7777. The UVSJ will make CHEX much weaker, but you might still be able to receive it.

C2 > UVSJ > new 7777 > coax > power inserter > TV

You can also use the UVSJ with the old 7777 in a similar manner. Connect the C2 to the UVSJ and then to the UHF/Combined input of the 7777 with the inside switch set to combined.

C2 > UVSJ > old 7777 > coax > power inserter > TV

http://www.radioshack.com/vhf-uhf-go...r/1502586.html
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=uvsj
http://www.3starinc.com/pico-macom_u..._combiner.html
http://mjsales.net/products/tru-spec...ant=1198505857
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old 7777.jpg (39.6 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg New 7777.jpg (19.5 KB, 496 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 7-Sep-2015 at 7:43 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Sep-2015, 10:57 PM   #8
Greenish Apple

I'd like to clarify, I think there is a good chance he will add ch35/CFTO with a Super Stealth Hawk.

As for cost:
Super Stealth Hawk = $5-7
UVSJ = $6 + sh

-GA-
Old 8-Sep-2015, 11:51 AM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

There's a perfectly good chance that he'd pick up CFTO if the C2V was pointed at CFTO and if that signal path is moderately unobstructed. If he's not getting it, it's due to something he hasn't told us, we haven't figured out, or there's amplifier overload going on.

Based on the modeling I could find for the SSH over at DHC, I don't see any performance advantage that a SSH might offer in "tough" reception situations like this one. It is, however, a very cool project for someone who wants to build their own antenna at a minimal cost, though. One of the larger DIY models that's more directional might help focus on that particular station, but with higher gain and more directionality comes the side effect of having to more accurately aim the antenna for best results.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 8-Sep-2015 at 11:55 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Sep-2015, 2:51 PM   #10
Greenish Apple

Cool ADTech.

It hit me this morning, CFTO shows CTV programs and as of August 31 CHEX started showing CTV programs. The only difference might be the local newscasts.

-GA-
Old 8-Sep-2015, 10:40 PM   #11
JG86

It is the new 7777 preamp that I have with the FM switch. I have disconnected the UHF on the C2V. As of right now, Chex still comes in perfectly and cfto is coming in. I don't get any other channels. I will now try different directions to see if I can get another channel.

Thank you for your help. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 12-Sep-2015, 10:41 AM   #12
MarcCharette

Greenish Apple had a very good point. Since CHEX is now showing ctv programming there is very little point to using to get CFTO since they're basically showing the same programming. So don't put too much time/effort info getting CFTO