TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 20-Jul-2019, 7:59 PM   #1
Brokenspoke
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Milner Georgia
Posts: 10
Antenna Recomendations

Hello everyone and thanks up front for any help. Moved here about 25 year ago and had a antenna mounted on a short mast attached to the Chimney maybe 25 feet above the ground. We could get maybe 8 or 10 Atlanta stations and a few from Macon some days Columbus and South Carolina, flat headed over that way.

We eventually installed Hughes Satellite Direct Duo for internet and TV nothing else available here. Then came DSL and Direct TV now ATT Fixed wireless and some streaming.I think we are going to use streaming and antenna now prices are outrageous.

I have a 40 ft tower that once had Ham antenna installed, I have a bucket truck and all the means to install so here we go.

My question is probably like an oil thread over on the hot rod forums but I would like advice on antenna, booster, and antenna rotor. I have looked and researched and almost pulled the trigger a couple times.

I have looked at several Channel Masters, Winegard and Denny's HD Stacker.

I know there is much knowledge here so again thanks for any and all advice.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903841929d854b

Best to Everyone, Tony
Brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jul-2019, 8:35 PM   #2
GroundUrMast
Moderator
 
GroundUrMast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Posts: 4,749
Looking at the post repack info on rabbitears.info, I don't see much reason to use an all channel design. I'd opt for a Winegard HD7698P and an Antennas Direct 'Juice' preamp. If the tower puts the antenna above the trees you should do well.

I'd aim toward Atlanta. Reception from other directions would likely suffer from the effect of distance and blocking terrain.
__________________
If the well is dry and you don't see rain on the horizon, you'll need to dig the hole deeper. (If the antenna can't get the job done, an amp won't fix it.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 20-Jul-2019 at 9:00 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jul-2019, 11:38 PM   #3
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.E. VA
Posts: 2,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenspoke View Post
I have a 40 ft tower that once had Ham antenna installed, I have a bucket truck and all the means to install so here we go.

My question is probably like an oil thread over on the hot rod forums but I would like advice on antenna, booster, and antenna rotor. I have looked and researched and almost pulled the trigger a couple times.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903841929d854b

Best to Everyone, Tony
Hello, Tony

I agree with GroundUrMast on the antenna and preamp.

Here is a report from rabbitears.info which should have a more accurate list of channels:



If you stick with Atlanta, you shouldn't need a rotor. If you do decide on a rotor, the older Channel Master CM-9521a rotors didn't hold up for long, but the newer 9521HD rotors are getting better reviews.

If you want a heavier duty rotor for the big HD7698P antenna, I suggest the Yaesu G450A, which is a ham rotator.
https://www.dxengineering.com/search...torder=Default
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrokenspokeTVFreportRE.jpg (259.0 KB, 1110 views)
__________________
If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
http://www.megalithia.com/elect/aeri...ttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 20-Jul-2019 at 11:49 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jul-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
Brokenspoke
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Milner Georgia
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Looking at the post repack info on rabbitears.info, I don't see much reason to use an all channel design. I'd opt for a Winegard HD7698P and an Antennas Direct 'Juice' preamp. If the tower puts the antenna above the trees you should do well.

I'd aim toward Atlanta. Reception from other directions would likely suffer from the effect of distance and blocking terrain.
Thank you GroundUrMast,
We did well years ago with much less height so this should be much better.

Best Regards, Tony
Brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jul-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
Brokenspoke
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Milner Georgia
Posts: 10
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Hello, Tony

I agree with GroundUrMast on the antenna and preamp.

Here is a report from rabbitears.info which should have a more accurate list of channels:



If you stick with Atlanta, you shouldn't need a rotor. If you do decide on a rotor, the older Channel Master CM-9521a rotors didn't hold up for long, but the newer 9521HD rotors are getting better reviews.

If you want a heavier duty rotor for the big HD7698P antenna, I suggest the Yaesu G450A, which is a ham rotator.
https://www.dxengineering.com/search...torder=Default
Thanks rabbit73, way back I used to go on the roof to adjust the antenna some times turning to Macon but mostly after strong winds the antenna would turn a little. If I got it just right some of the weaker stations did well.

With the added height and a amplifier a rotor may not be needed, but I would like it to be a one and done install if possible although I know some tweaking may be called far (story of my life).

Reading reviews on amazon over all the 7698p gets 4 1/2 stars although some plastic bits seam to be in question on a few.

Any thoughts on this antenna: http://https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hdb91x

Thanks again rabbit73,
All the best to you, Tony
Brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jul-2019, 6:35 PM   #6
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.E. VA
Posts: 2,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenspoke View Post
Reading reviews on amazon over all the 7698p gets 4 1/2 stars although some plastic bits seam to be in question on a few.

Any thoughts on this antenna: http://https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hdb91x
The HDB91X is a good antenna, but it is designed primarily for UHF. You would need a separate VHF antenna for WXIA.
__________________
If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
http://www.megalithia.com/elect/aeri...ttpoorman.html
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2019, 9:45 AM   #7
Brokenspoke
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Milner Georgia
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
The HDB91X is a good antenna, but it is designed primarily for UHF. You would need a separate VHF antenna for WXIA.
Thanks again, would definitely like to get WXIA. Maybe go with the Winegard would like to pull in FM signals as well.

Cheers, Tony
Brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2019, 4:38 PM   #8
GroundUrMast
Moderator
 
GroundUrMast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Posts: 4,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenspoke View Post
Thanks again, would definitely like to get WXIA. Maybe go with the Winegard would like to pull in FM signals as well.

Cheers, Tony
FM reception would call for an all-channel antenna which includes intentional support of the low-VHF band. The longer elements at the rear of this type of antenna are what provide reception capability for real channels 2 through 6 + the FM band.

A premium option would be the Winegard HD8200U or the Channel Master Advantage-100.

The Yaesu rotor suggested by rabbit73 would be an appropriate option, especially when using a large all channel antenna.

Some folks would consider an entirely separate antenna and cable run for FM.
__________________
If the well is dry and you don't see rain on the horizon, you'll need to dig the hole deeper. (If the antenna can't get the job done, an amp won't fix it.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
Brokenspoke
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Milner Georgia
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
FM reception would call for an all-channel antenna which includes intentional support of the low-VHF band. The longer elements at the rear of this type of antenna are what provide reception capability for real channels 2 through 6 + the FM band.

A premium option would be the Winegard HD8200U or the Channel Master Advantage-100.

The Yaesu rotor suggested by rabbit73 would be an appropriate option, especially when using a large all channel antenna.

Some folks would consider an entirely separate antenna and cable run for FM.
Thanks GroundUrMast, I had looked at that antenna but had not considered a separate antenna. I will do some research and try to make a determination on the best way to go.

As you can tell I am not very antenna knowledgeable.

Thanks again, Tony
Brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2019, 12:58 PM   #10
GroundUrMast
Moderator
 
GroundUrMast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Posts: 4,749
I have to confess that I had not looked into the current availability of FM specific antennas. Solidsignal.com lists virtually all the options I had in mind as 'Discontinued'. There are a few simple dipole types and one or two omnidirectional types. If you are going to want to receive any weak FM signals, the modest gain of a large all channel TV/FM antenna will do a better job than the dipole or omni type FM antennas.
__________________
If the well is dry and you don't see rain on the horizon, you'll need to dig the hole deeper. (If the antenna can't get the job done, an amp won't fix it.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2019, 5:31 PM   #11
Tower Guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Delmar, NY
Posts: 1,151
Note that the HD Stacker is also rated for FM reception. It would also get all of the Atlanta TV stations.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Sep-2019, 12:01 PM   #12
Brokenspoke
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Milner Georgia
Posts: 10
Okay we are cutting Direct TV 9-14-2019, everyone's replies were greatly appreciated.

I can analyze anything beyond my understanding as I am quite OCD, so my obsessive behavior disorder acknowledged I am down to Four antennas.

As already mentioned by Ground Ur Mast the:

Winegard 8200U

Channel Master Advantage 100

Solid Signal Extreme Signal HD8200XL

Channel Master CM3020 deepest fringe

Provided performance is fairly equal then craftsmanship and durability would be the next concern.

Any further advice or should I just draw straws ? LOL

As always thanks and cheers, Tony

Last edited by Brokenspoke; 1-Sep-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Sep-2019, 7:04 PM   #13
Tim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 188
I would expect all of these antennas to be relatively similar in overall gain and performance. Of the antennas you mention, I think the two Channel Master products are the same. I have no experience with any of these antennas, but I do like the way the boom braces are mounted underneath the boom on the Channel Master antenna.
__________________
Antennacraft Y10-7-13 VHF, Antennas Direct 91XG UHF
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Sep-2019, 2:40 PM   #14
Brokenspoke
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Milner Georgia
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I would expect all of these antennas to be relatively similar in overall gain and performance. Of the antennas you mention, I think the two Channel Master products are the same. I have no experience with any of these antennas, but I do like the way the boom braces are mounted underneath the boom on the Channel Master antenna.
Thanks Tim I liked that feature as well, not sure if it ads stability but seems it would.

Cheers Tony
Brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 6:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © TV Fool, LLC