TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Enthusiast's Exchange

Notices

Old 30-Jan-2011, 3:39 AM   #1
GroundUrMast

Hill Top Antenna Linked via Wifi

This is just a wild pipe dream...

But for someone with a serious OTA reception habit who happens to be blocked by terrain but has access to a hill top and a few bucks to spare...

The idea is to place a network attached tuner at a remote antenna that can then be accessed by a PC at the desired viewing location. A clear line of site needs to be available for the WIFI link.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RF to Ethernet Remote RX.pdf (26.5 KB, 4098 views)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
sdubb

Thats Awesome! My only concern would be the bandwidth to keep up with 2 HD shows being recorded. I guess you could drop some cat5 down the hill but you would could only get 300'
sdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Apr-2011, 3:14 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubb View Post
Thats Awesome! My only concern would be the bandwidth to keep up with 2 HD shows being recorded. I guess you could drop some cat5 down the hill but you would could only get 300'
You're right, the Wifi link would need to be rock solid. To record one HD show while viewing a second HD show live could require an error free 48 MB/s WIFI link, something that would require a true line of site and a substantial fade margin. 100 Mb/s Wifi bridges are available... http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wi...ess-bridge.php Depending on circumstances, 802.11a, g or n may be the best choice. There are unlicensed 900 MHz radio options possible as well.

Or, if you really have access to the needed right of way, there are long haul options for twisted pair such as http://www.patton.com/products/pe_pr...ory=416&tab=sp Capable of a 45 Mbit/s link out to 0.9 KM or more. Also, Ethernet over RG-6 and RG-11 devises are on the market. EnConn is one of several vendors I have seen, but none have been in hand.

Of course, there are all sorts of other variations on this concept. If power is available, a PC at the remote site can be the PVR/DVR. This would reduce the load on the WIFI link provided you would be satisfied to download recordings when live programing is not filling the link.

A similar system could be run from a remote location with power and internet access. Products like Slingbox come to mind.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 21-Oct-2011 at 8:07 AM.
Old 9-Jan-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

With the new HDHR PLUS, this idea might become a bit more practical. http://www.silicondust.com/products/...run/hdhomerun/

The ability to trans-code MPEG-2 to H.264 in stand alone hardware reduces the bandwidth needs dramatically.

Old 2-Mar-2016, 5:30 PM   #5
shoman94

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
With the new HDHR PLUS, this idea might become a bit more practical. http://www.silicondust.com/products/...run/hdhomerun/

The ability to trans-code MPEG-2 to H.264 in stand alone hardware reduces the bandwidth needs dramatically.
What's the distance from the hilltop to your house?
shoman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Mar-2016, 3:36 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Tom hasn't visited the forum since last fall....

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jul-2016, 6:46 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
What's the distance from the hilltop to your house?
My opening post began with, "This is just a wild pipe dream..."

At present, I'm located atop a hill, but surrounded by trees that are more than 100' tall. If not for the trees, I'd have line of site to most transmitters in my area.

I recently bought a couple of Ubiquiti products, a NanoLoco-M2 and an airGateway. Both devices have a combination of wired and wireless connectivity options. I have been extremely pleased with the performance of the NanoLoco-M2 when configured as a bridge or access-point. With a clear line of site, the manufacturer claims that the NanoLoco-M2 can maintain a 5Km point to point link... I've not tested that yet, but based on my experience thus far, I actually believe the manufacture's claims are true.

Now that I'm feeling healthier, I need to get out and play with the hardware...

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 9-Jul-2016 at 7:53 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 16-Nov-2016, 10:50 PM   #8
WIRELESS ENGINEER

I had a similar problem decades ago with a motel that couldn't pick up TV off antennas because of a hill top a mile away
I created a passive repeater on top of that hill by connecting two 8bay bowties back to Back
I simply pointed one toward the stations and the other one toward the motel
That motel became the only motel in the area that couild get all the networks
WIRELESS ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Nov-2016, 5:58 PM   #9
rickbb

Did the 8bays have reflectors?
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Dec-2016, 11:09 PM   #10
eggman531916

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIRELESS ENGINEER View Post
I had a similar problem decades ago with a motel that couldn't pick up TV off antennas because of a hill top a mile away
I created a passive repeater on top of that hill by connecting two 8bay bowties back to Back
I simply pointed one toward the stations and the other one toward the motel
That motel became the only motel in the area that couild get all the networks
Now THAT is interesting. May I ask for some details on how you did it?
eggman531916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Dec-2016, 1:50 AM   #11
WIRELESS ENGINEER

Sorry, just now looked at this thread again

You can simply take two high gain antennas and connect them together with a short jumper

Aim one toward the broadcast towers and the other one toward your antenna

You could even use a high gain preamp on the antenna facing the broadcast towers for more gain

Commercial systems that do this are available today but back then none were around

Imagine a 30 db gain preamp receiving a TV station on a 15 db gain antenna then sending it back out through another 15 db gain antenna

60 db gain in signal level coming toward your house is huge
Old 19-Dec-2016, 2:58 AM   #12
eggman531916

Thanks! I may have to mess around with this idea a bit...when it gets a little warmer.
eggman531916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Dec-2016, 6:45 PM   #13
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIRELESS ENGINEER View Post
Sorry, just now looked at this thread again

You can simply take two high gain antennas and connect them together with a short jumper

Aim one toward the broadcast towers and the other one toward your antenna

You could even use a high gain preamp on the antenna facing the broadcast towers for more gain

Commercial systems that do this are available today but back then none were around

Imagine a 30 db gain preamp receiving a TV station on a 15 db gain antenna then sending it back out through another 15 db gain antenna

60 db gain in signal level coming toward your house is huge
I'm pretty confident that there is no regulatory problem with a passive (no amplifier) relay, but I'd want to double check the current FCC regulations before adding any active device to a relay system like this.

Old 27-Dec-2016, 7:01 PM   #14
WIRELESS ENGINEER

This technology is actually being used every day in the cell phone industry

Millions of amplified repeaters are in use in this country in cars, homes, stadiums, airports,malls, businesses, hospitals, etc

None of these units are passive.

Many of these units are using 80db gain amplifiers

Prio to 2014 their use was totally unregulated.

Today the FCC only requires users to inform their carrier that they are boosting their signal with one
Old 29-Dec-2016, 7:05 PM   #15
GroundUrMast

I'm sure you're right about the technology...

I'm simply suggesting that it would be a good idea to be familiar with the the limits imposed by the FCC. EDIT: Tower Guy correctly refers to CFR 47 part 74 (see post 16 below) In particular, https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/74.732 paragraph (g) appears to be very relevant.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 17-Mar-2017 at 7:51 PM. Reason: Remove reference to CFR 47 part 15
Old 29-Dec-2016, 7:44 PM   #16
Tower Guy

The legality of a TV on channel booster is in FCC rules part 74. The rules say that they must be licensed individually. The key to a workable booster is to place the antennas far enough apart such that the isolation between them is 30 db more than the gain of the amplifier. Filters must be used to limit out of band interference. If I were in your shoes I'd try it before I licensed it.

Last edited by Tower Guy; 29-Dec-2016 at 7:53 PM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Dec-2017, 9:23 PM   #17
welkin

We use these at work for failover between buildings. They have a 10 km range and 450 Mbs throughput. They're quick, easy, fast and less than $100.

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NBE-...anobeam+5ac+19
welkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Dec-2017, 9:34 PM   #18
welkin

Here's a link to a link simulator.

https://airlink.ubnt.com/#/ptp
welkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2018, 11:34 PM   #19
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by welkin View Post
We use these at work for failover between buildings. They have a 10 km range and 450 Mbs throughput. They're quick, easy, fast and less than $100.

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NBE-...anobeam+5ac+19
At home I'm using two Unifi AP-AC-LR access points to cover my property with very reliable Wifi signal. I've used the NanoLOCO-M2 and the AirGateway products for a couple of applications. I'm quite impressed with the performance and reasonable cost of all these Ubiquiti products.

Old 2-Feb-2018, 6:00 PM   #20
Sev

Funny I was just thinking about this the other day.
Staring at the hill in front of my house and thinking it would be nice to have a tower up there with a with a narrow beam OTA to WIFI converter repeater.
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote