View Single Post
Old 16-Sep-2011, 4:46 AM   #36
TheEmrys

It can be done cheaper. If you have a spare computer laying around. If you have an unused computer, depending on its age, you could use the computer as a DVR. You'd need some software (some come with the cards) and you need enough Hard Drive space to make it worth your while.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...atedMark=False

I'm not sure your computer tech expertise, but I'll try to be simple. There are two options: PCI and PCI-express. PCI-express is the newer computers (I believe the standard was introduced back in 2005 or so). If you are doing it cheap and you have a computer that will work, you need to get a card, add it in, and then set it up. You also need a video card that can plug into your TV. There are 3 main types of connectors - D-Sub, DVI, and HDMI. HDMI is optimal because it also carries sound.

However, the easiest way to do it is through Windows 7/Vista with Microsoft's Media Center. It will give you a TV Guide-like interface and VERY easy programming options. If you know a student, or have a .edu e-mail address, you can get Windows 7 for $30.

I'm pretty big into the computer side of things. Here is my build that, once my wife starts her new job (woohoo!), we're going to build. It will handle Blu-Ray, OTA, Netflix, Hulu Plus as well as any DVD that you own and back up (I watch strictly digital copies of all my stuff, which is legal if you don't share).

Hauppauge 2250 (dual digital tuners to record 2 shows at once) w/ remote - $114

Low Power Motherboard and cpu combo - $120

Good HTPC (Home Theatre PC) case - $84 (free shipping on Amazon)

4 GB of RAM - $27

Hi Efficiency Power Supply - $36

Windows 7 Home 64-bit - $99

I already have a 2 GB hard drive which I got for $70.

If you already have the computer, I would buy a new hard drive and an internal TV Tuner for ~$140. Just make sure you have the right expansion slots. You can look on the pictues (big = PCIvs. very little=PCI-express) to see which is which.
TheEmrys is offline   Reply With Quote