View Single Post
Old 4-Jan-2015, 2:57 AM   #11
Roundabout

Tower Guy, very interesting story you mentioned from Vermont. I read the entire story, especially interesting was how he mounted the antenna only a foot off the ground! So there is merit to the data that I saw here on TVF showing better signals when I inputted a lower height for an antenna here (due to refraction, I guess?). This seems counter-intuitive since I've always believed "the higher the better" when it came to antenna mounting - then again, I've never lived anywhere that I needed to receive signals from anything except LOS (I'm from Florida, where there's nothing but pretty much flat land).

I'm looking into some type of Spectrum Analyzer to use for this project, there's some interesting USB devices that seem like they could do the job for not too much money (one at about $300 or so) and I would probably sell it later if I didn't need it and recover most of my investment. I've been an electronics tech my entire life and know how to use this type of equipment (scopes, etc). I was an audio tech for Sony and didn't deal as much with RF but I have friends that can advise me if I need more input. My thinking is, with a portable Spectrum Analyzer I can move around and find the best location for the antenna and as long as it doesn't interfere with anything else nearby, just mount it in the best position.

Might be an idea to use a rotor instead of an a/b switch (for San Diego stations), or maybe cheaper and better to just stick with a switch and not have to guess on exact direction?

Time for more research, thanks for the articles and information! I haven't really started on this installation yet, as I need to know as much as possible before starting, and put money into the right purchases.
Roundabout is offline   Reply With Quote