View Single Post
Old 2-Jan-2015, 6:50 PM   #9
Roundabout

Thanks for the link, Tower Guy, I'll look into that. One interesting thing I noted when running different height scenarios on TVF is that the lower I went with height, the chart showed higher signal strength. Maybe I should put the antenna on the ground?

Another advantage, after the high winds we had a couple of days ago, I can see if the mast isn't solidly guyed down, it could easily be blown down. Gusts were so high that some trees were knocked down on the main street nearby, and many of our plants were broken off and blown away. It's sure to damage any antenna I put up when it gets this bad.

I'm also looking into buying an ATSC Signal Strength meter for use on this project. Good ones are kind of expensive, but I figure I can resell it on eBay after use and recover most of my investment. I know it's not absolutely necessary for this installation but it might make it easier to find the optimal spot on my property. There are some trees on the west side of my property but I may have them removed soon - however, they're not so close together that I can't aim between them towards Mt Wilson. I suppose there might even be a chance to get signals here from San Diego, since the mountains to the south are far enough away to be less of an obstruction. Only problem with that is it's far away, so signal strength would be weak due to distance.

I guess I'll find out when I finally get started on this in a couple of weeks.
Roundabout is offline   Reply With Quote