View Single Post
Old 24-Apr-2014, 8:51 AM   #4
dmfdmf

One easy test that I would do is unplug the C2V and cap the AC7 "All Channel Input" with a 75 ohm terminator, leave everything else the same and see if you can reliably get FOX from the 91XG, pre-amp, AC7 and cables and no second antenna.

If this works, you might even adjust the aim to optimize the signal before reconnecting the C2V. Notice that FOX is 2Edge and some times you can get a few more dB if instead of horizontal you aim the antenna up 5-10 deg toward the sky. Also, 91XG has a very narrow 30deg half-power beam width at higher frequencies in both azimuth (left/right) and vertically (up/down toward sky) so careful aiming could make a difference. I like to use True azimuth aim (instead of magnetic compass aim) as it is more accurate. Google map your house and get a true bearing off a major landmark like your roof line or wall and use that to calculate the correct aim to the Fox tower.

If FOX won't come in with the other input capped I'd try it without the pre-amp and/or without the distribution amp as you might be getting weird amp feedback loops with two amps in series. You could also temporarily take the C2V off the mast to see if it is interfering with the other antenna. If that fixes it the you'll need to figure out a way to get more separation between the antennas. You should also rerun your TV Fool report and see how high you need to go to get FOX as 1Edge or even LOS. You might need to go to a taller mast to get a reliable signal for FOX and get more separation between the antenna to minimize interference.

TL;DR: FOX is not too weak at 39.1 NM though it is 2Edge. You have a good antenna and system that should work but you need to tweak it for FOX and make it work right BEFORE combining. Once you get FOX reliably, if combining knocks it out you then need to troubleshoot that problem sepaately.
dmfdmf is offline   Reply With Quote