View Single Post
Old 13-Jan-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzel67 View Post
where do you recommend purchasing a pole OR could I get by with mounting it with a j-mount bracket on the eve of the house (which wouldn't really be any higher than it's location in the attic but would be outside). I really don't want to drill/screw into our roof.
Yes, leaks would be very bad!

J-mounts can work if you can get the antenna pointed correctly at the stations of interest. Since you have stations on both the north and south sides of your house, I'm not sure if that's possible in your case.

Also, if you go with a two-antenna solution (separate VHF/UHF antennas), then you'll want some separation between the two antennas (~4-5 feet is recommended to minimize the interaction between the antennas). It might be difficult to achieve this with a J-mount.

There are also wall mount options that are like the J-mount option (holes on the side of the house instead of into the roof), and they can accommodate longer straight masts.

Another option to consider is a chimney mount. If you have a chimney available, these mounts work well and require no holes of any kind. The better ones are all stainless steel, very sturdy, and last a long time. I've had good results with the Channel Master 9067 mount (they sometimes ship without instructions, but fortunately, I found them online at http://www.channelmaster.com/support...ructions41.pdf).

Antenna masts can be purchased from Radio Shack. They have decent quality powder coated masts in 5 and 10 foot lengths. BTW, do *not* get the RS chimney mount brackets - they are really cr*ppy and are a complete waste of time. You can use just about any kind of pipe (the more rigid, the better, as long as it doesn't get too heavy), ideally between 1.25 and 1.5 inches in diameter. Many online antenna places also sell masts, but then you need to pay for shipping.

Last edited by mtownsend; 13-Jan-2010 at 12:50 AM.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote