View Single Post
Old 1-Oct-2016, 12:36 PM   #17
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Again, it seems too much work for a relatively short cable run that may or may not need it
Well, if you can ever achieve a good signal without a preamp and you add at TV or two, you may be back in the same position, unless you get a distribution amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeen View Post
I've been considering the Stellar Labs (30-2415) http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2415-/30-2415.
I think that is a copy of this antenna:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=149881
It is on sale right now. It has a variable strength pre-amp. I already know, you don't want a pre-amp, but you can use it without and it is there should you need it and want to run separate cable to your rotor.

Quote:
but though the (30-2415) gain is listed at a high 18dB from what I've been reading its being said to be a lessor of the HDB91X, I'm not sure if that is bias, personally in my experience the HDB91X has been a lessor to the DB4e (with the exception of receiving ch4 slightly better, the goal of using it, though the loss in 0 reception of ch20 & ch7, even at night presently, among others is not worth that.)

Quote:
If HDB91X is the best, as claimed, for fringe UHF I'm not sure where to go, it hasn't been my experience,
Like all antennas, especially Chinese copies, (in this case the 91 XG was copied), they are usually overrated.

Quote:
The DBs are claimed to be "ideal for suburban and rural areas where heavy foliage or roofing materials reduce the incoming signal". this is certainty my circumstance so perhaps that's why it outperforms.
Yes, but aren't most of the stations you are trying to get close to 60 miles? With any trees, that's a double whammy.

Quote:
I actually have the lessor Solid Signal HDB4X, so I could conceivably jimmy together with the DB4e for a equivalent of the DB8e but I think that is rather top heavy for that stack, I would hope for a single UHF antenna solution ideally
I have seen cases where two antennas were made into one by adding a section of the other. I was going to do that with my HDB91X, by buying another and adding the front section to another and still have what amounts to an HDB43X.

AD Tech has done it with an 91XG and picked up some gain, but it was minimal.

Quote:
I actually have the lessor Solid Signal HDB4X, so I could conceivably jimmy together with the DB4e for a equivalent of the DB8e but I think that is rather top heavy for that stack, I would hope for a single UHF antenna solution ideally. ]
Putting two dissimilar antennas together will be the biggest challenge you have faced, it probably won't work, you will most likely be disappointed. I have been there, I know. On the other hand, it can't hurt to try it though, who knows you might get lucky.

The Winegard HD7698P is a one antenna solution for UHF and VHF, but it is highly directional. And in the $130+ range + shipping, so that's out I'm sure. So is that Televes DAT709 LR Mix, which is available without VHF (minus the "mix")

Last edited by bobsgarage; 1-Oct-2016 at 1:01 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote