View Single Post
Old 24-Sep-2016, 5:18 PM   #15
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Your location presents some difficult problems to solve for reliable reception of ABC. Since the tech knows your area, I defer to his advice, but I will give you my thoughts.

Most of your signals are UHF and strong from about 163 degrees magnetic.

For ABC, you have two choices: WGGB from 41 degrees magnetic and WTNH from 195 degrees magnetic, both of which are about 50 dB weaker than your local channels.

I doubt that there is a one-antenna solution. I think it will take two antennas unless you are willing to tolerate the inconvenience of a rotator.

I previously picked WTNH because its antenna could be in another direction than the UHF antenna and easily combined with a UVSJ UHF/VHF combiner.

After looking at your post #9 again
Quote:
regarding line of sight-(Tried to upload pictures here but could not), facing northeast (41 degrees) I have at least 150 yards of clear open space before a single line of trees come into play. I'd estimate those tree tops to be at a 5-10 degree upward angle.

Facing south (196 degrees), trees come into play at about 50 yards. Those tree tops are much higher and closer- tops are at 45 degree upward angle.
I think he will pick WGGB because the trees from the south by the Nepaug River will make reception of WTNH too difficult. I suggest the Solid Signal HDB91X with the front end tilted up.

However, this will create another problem for him: he will have to combine two UHF antennas aimed in different directions. Using a splitter in reverse as a combiner doesn't always work; a custom combiner might be needed.

An alternative would be two separate antenna systems with an A/B switch. Yet another alternative would be the main antenna to the antenna input of the TV and the ABC antenna to a separate tuner with its output connected to the aux input of the TV.
Quote:
what signal measurements (from abc) are minimal requirements for reliable signal?
Most installers make measurements in dBmV. WGGB is listed as about -75 dBm which about -26 dBmV. That is too weak; my Sadelco DisplayMax800 signal level meter doesn't even read much below -20 dBmV for a single channel scan, but my Sadelco 719E will read lower.

I would like to see at least -10 dBmV coming out of the antenna for ABC, because OTA signals constantly vary in strength, especially 2Edge signals that are affected by atmospheric changes more than LOS signals.

You can add the antenna gain to the dBm signal power listed on the report. You can also add preamp gain, but a preamp can't be used for the strong signals because it will be overloaded and the tuner will also be overloaded.

Most tuners will drop out a signal below -85 dBm = -36 dBmV.

Here is a calibration chart I made for my Sony KDL32R400A that gives signal strength readings at the tuner. It will give you an idea of the relationship between dBm and dBmV:

These are the two meters I use. The Sadelco 719E is on the left; the Sadelco DisplayMax800 is on the right.

In the UK, CAI installers (Certified Aerial Installer) are required to measure not only signal strength but also signal quality as defined by the number of digital errors.

Here is a signal that was strong enough, but the tuner couldn't pick it up because it contained too many errors. The antenna was aimed in the wrong direction, and didn't pick up any direct signal, only reflections.

I set up an antenna across the street and got a good signal that the tuner picked up.

Quote:
Is 4-600 dollar reasonable?
It is, IF he can give you reliable reception of ABC.
Quote:
Is a smaller antenna viable for abc?
ABC is a lot weaker than your local channels. Weak signals need an antenna with more gain. Antennas with more gain are bigger, but UHF antennas are smaller than VHF antennas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSCHART KDL32R400A3.jpg (165.6 KB, 4781 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 24-Sep-2016 at 8:18 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote