View Single Post
Old 21-Oct-2013, 7:29 PM   #1
MetHerb

Signal loss questions

I've put up a new antenna array and I'm happy with the improved performance but in setting up and playing around under different conditions, I think there are a couple of areas where I could improve and I'm trying to understand signal loss a little more. I have about as much gain as a person can have.

First, I have separate UHF & VHF antenna's and my understanding was that all splitters/combiners suffer from the same signal loss (about 3.5db). However, after some reading, I'm wondering if there is a TV specific diplexer that would give me a lower signal loss.

Next loss question - When I originally ran my coax I had to combine two lengths of RG6 to equal to about 100'. I'm wondering how much signal loss I have (if any) in combining cables and if I would prevent some by shielding the connection. I will be upgrading to RG11 at some point once I settle on a location for the antenna.

Last, I happen to be in the middle of 4 separate television markets and can receive signals from all 4. However, one of the markets is blocked by a large pine tree and I can only get VHF channels from that market. How much does vegetation lower the signal strength? All of the channels in the 290° to 320° range from me are very strong but only come in on the clearest of signal days. Just how much affect does vegetation have!? The tree is about 50' from the antenna.

Thanks for the info...

Dave
MetHerb is offline   Reply With Quote